HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » 22 Candidates File For Je...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 08:18 PM

22 Candidates File For Jesse Jackson Jr.'s Vacated Seat

Source: NBC Chicago

Twenty-two candidates made the Monday afternoon deadline to file papers announcing their candidacy for Jesse Jackson Jr.'s vacated 2nd Congressional Seat.

Among them is Debbie Halvorson, who lost to Jackson in the March primary last year, but garnered 29 percent of the vote.

A flurry of candidates submitted candidacy petitions over the weekend, filed along with 1,256 signatures or more. Joyce Washington, who ran for US Senate in 2004, announced Sunday that she would enter the race, as did Robin Kelly. She announced Monday via Twitter that she'd raised more than $200,000 from 500-plus individual donors.

Of the 22 candidates, five are Republican: Lenny McAllister, Beverly Reid, Paul McKinley, James H. Taylor Sr., and Eric Wallace.

A special primary will be held on February 26 and the general election is scheduled for April 9.

Read more: http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-room/185902472.html

4 replies, 1293 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply 22 Candidates File For Jesse Jackson Jr.'s Vacated Seat (Original post)
Redfairen Jan 2013 OP
chuckstevens Jan 2013 #1
marshall Jan 2013 #4
AngryAmish Jan 2013 #2
ChairmanAgnostic Jan 2013 #3

Response to Redfairen (Original post)

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 09:10 PM

1. Jackson never should have run for reelection in 2012

Because of redistricting, Jesse Jackson Jr. had to face an incumbent Democratic Representative named Debbie Halvorson in a newly drawn Congressional district. She lost in the primary to Jackson all the while he knew dam well that all of his issues were coming to a head. Mayo Clinic for depression my ass! Justice would be Ms Hallvorson getting reelected back to Congress in Jackson's place.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to chuckstevens (Reply #1)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 09:49 AM

4. The voters got who they wanted

The public knew this was going down. If they didn't want it, they should have voted for somebody else. On the other hand, Jackson has every right to protect his own interests first.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 09:18 AM

2. It's a shame Gus Savage isn't running

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 09:30 AM

3. I've been following this closely, and I still cannot recognize 17-18 of the names.

which means there can be a surprise result AND a period of voter's remorse thereafter.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread