HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Still a potent gay rights...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 11:20 AM

Still a potent gay rights voice, Barney Frank dials back opposition to Chuck Hagel nomination

Source: Boston Globe

WASHINGTON - Former representative Barney Frank is dialing back his opposition to the pending nomination of former senator Chuck Hagel as secretary of defense, saying he is willing to look past the Nebraska Republican’s comments about gays because it is more important that his views prevail on drawing down the war in Afghanistan and reducing wasteful defense spending.

“I was hoping the president wouldn’t nominate him,” Frank told the Globe today.

“As much as I regret what Hagel said, and resent what he said, the question now is going to be Afghanistan and scaling back the military,” Frank said. “In terms of the policy stuff, if he would be rejected , it would be a setback for those things.”

Although he retired from the House last week after 32 years, Frank remains a prominent gay rights spokesman and has also publicly asked Governor Deval Patrick to appoint him as the interim successor should Senator John F. Kerry resign to become secretary of state.

Depending on scheduling, that could happen after any confirmation vote on Hagel, or perhaps be one of the new senator’s first votes.

-snip-

Read more: http://www.boston.com/politicalintelligence/2013/01/07/still-potent-gay-rights-voice-barney-frank-dials-back-opposition-chuck-hagel-nomination/FKjOCf0K1oOYm1lB5I6v9J/story.html

6 replies, 1334 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Still a potent gay rights voice, Barney Frank dials back opposition to Chuck Hagel nomination (Original post)
DonViejo Jan 2013 OP
banned from Kos Jan 2013 #1
Taxee Jan 2013 #2
groundloop Jan 2013 #3
HERVEPA Jan 2013 #4
groundloop Jan 2013 #5
Kelvin Mace Jan 2013 #6

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 11:25 AM

1. Barney is always logical and pragmatic

no different this time.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Response to Taxee (Reply #2)

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 12:23 PM

3. The President DIDN'T increase your taxes, and Barney Frank right up there with Bush ?????

First, as to the topic, how the hell can you even mention Bush and Barney Frank in the same sentence?

And the President didn't increase your taxes. In case you just crawled out from under a rock there was a TEMPORARY reduction in social security withholding as part of a stimulus program. That TEMPORARY reduction expired.

edit to add: Rush, is that you? Are you gonna' quote this thread on your show today?

Reply to this post

Response to groundloop (Reply #3)

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 01:33 PM

4. Tombstoned.

Reply to this post

Response to HERVEPA (Reply #4)

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 01:49 PM

5. RIP

Reply to this post