HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Former C.I.A. Officer Is ...

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 02:27 PM

Former C.I.A. Officer Is the First to Face Prison for a Classified Leak

Source: NYT

The first C.I.A. officer to be convicted of disclosing classified information to a reporter in more than six decades is scheduled to be sentenced to 30 months in prison on Jan. 25. John Kiriakou is to be sentenced as part of a plea deal in which he admitted e-mailing the name of a covert officer to a reporter.

His prosecution, as well as five others, has been lauded on Capitol Hill as a long-overdue response to a rash of dangerous disclosures and defended by both President Obama and Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr.

Mr. Kiriakou is remorseful, up to a point. I should never have provided the name, he said.
Supporters say Mr. Kiriakou neither intended to damage national security nor did so. Some see a dark paradox in the impending imprisonment of Mr. Kiriakou, who in a 2007 appearance on ABC News defended the C.I.A.s use of desperate measures to get information but also said that he had come to believe that waterboarding was torture and should no longer be used.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/06/us/former-cia-officer-is-the-first-to-face-prison-for-a-classified-leak.html?_r=0

13 replies, 2756 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 02:32 PM

1. And, the torturers and murderers and psychopaths from the same era get medals. Shameful.

Shame on the President and the other senior decision-makers for letting this case get to this point. If there's anyone who deserves a full pardon and a Presidential commendation, it's John Kiriakou.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to leveymg (Reply #1)

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 02:52 PM

4. Sheds light on who really won World War II

The ones who get away with treason, lying America into war, war mongering and profiteering, bank fraud of all manner, money laundering and drug dealing, the pre- and post-war Allies of Prescott Bush.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 02:35 PM

2. And yet Dick Cheney

remains free.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 02:39 PM

3. yet the republicans out valerie plame and oh let's not look back let's move forward

fuck u both.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 03:30 PM

5. Mr. Kriakou reminds me of Zorba the Greek. He may be late to the game,

yet, I consider his actions honourable. It is my hope, and desire, that the White House focus on real enemies of the state.

If the leak was intended to further the goals of anarchists, or communists (Czar Putin's gang) in Greece, that's another story. More facts please.....

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 05:10 PM

6. The only CIA to go to jail for torture, although not an actual torturer.

The morality of torture is no longer discussed, only tortures' efficacy. (Hint: It doesn't work.) But Chimpy aWol Bush will never be tried, much less sent to jail. Such a pity.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 05:41 PM

7. Ha! (as Tweety says it)

This is the law that was passed, if I'm not mistaken, by GHWB back during his term as President. And the law that was disobeyed by the GWB administration, i.e. the Valeria Plame incident, but of course, which was overlooked. And wait a minute, what about Petrais? (sp?) How much classified info was compromised by him? It would be great if the law was enforced straight down the line, no matter who committed the crime. Looks like two standards... the law is not enforced if the Administration or MIC agencies break it, but anyone lower in the hierarchy gets the slammer. OK. What????? What's up with that?

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 07:00 PM

8. He dared to oppose Dick Cheney's torture policies and to speak

publicly about this country needing to have 'a conversation' about water-boarding. Clearly if we truly are a civil and democratic society, this prosecution is a disgrace but no doubt it was done to silence anyone else who might dare to speak out about the immorality of torture.

To me, the irony of this whole thing is, very simply, that hes going to be the only C.I.A. officer to go to jail over torture, even though he publicly denounced torture, Mr. Riedel said. Its deeply ironic under the Democratic president who ended torture.

From all we have learned over the past decades, the US has been in the business of torture for a long time. The fact that the Government never goes after the acual criminals, but only those who expose these policies, should be all we need to know about who we are as a country.

As the journalist who wrote the article said, 'with these prosecutions, there has been a chill on others speaking to media about these issues' and that probably, is the main reason for this prosecution.

If the American people go along with the continuation of these monstrous policies, we cannot claim any kind of moral authority in this world, or claim that we do not support torture. The truth is, we do. And something badly needs to be done about it.

It's really bad when it is right wing Christians who have joined with the left wing Civil Liberties organizations, rather than Democrats, to call these policies 'immoral'.

This man should never have been prosecuted. The person whose name he is accused of revealing maybe, in a civil society, should be if he is part of the torture program that has not stopped, no matter how many times they claim it to be.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 07:17 PM

9. What about Karl Rove outing a CIA agent?

Reply to this post

Response to Kingofalldems (Reply #9)

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 09:49 PM

10. Other than the fact it was Richard Armitage (Dep Sec of State), it's a good story.

"Former Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage acknowledged Thursday that he was the source who first revealed the identity of CIA officer Valerie Plame to syndicated columnist Robert Novak back in 2003, touching off a federal investigation."

http://articles.cnn.com/2006-09-08/politics/leak.armitage_1_novak-and-other-journalists-cia-officer-valerie-plame-patrick-fitzgerald?_s=PMOLITICS

Reply to this post

Response to 24601 (Reply #10)

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 10:16 PM

11. Yeah, other than the fact that Rove helped spread it

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 12:50 AM

12. K&R. nt

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 11:34 AM

13. Equal under the law. Nothing but pure unadulterated BULL SHIT.

The wealthy and connected get away with murder while the lowly are prosecuted for stealing a loaf of bread to feed their hungry children. Things haven't changed much since he day's of Victor Hugo.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread