HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Insurers declare catastro...

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 03:26 AM

Insurers declare catastrophe on Tasmanian fires

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald

A flotilla of boats is the lifeline for thousands of people stranded on the Tasman Peninsula as bushfires continue to rage out of control.

People are braced for a second night of bushfire horror with two major blazes, which have emergency warnings, threatening more homes and businesses.

Recreational and commercial vessels are being used to bring in thousands of meals and other essential supplies and to evacuate people most in need.

Police said on Saturday that 600 people, many of them visitors to the area, were set to spend a second night at convict ruins. There were 2000 people at a temporary refuge in Nubeena and another 100 at the Dunalley Hotel.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/insurers-declare-catastrophe-on-tasmanian-fires-20130105-2c9v7.html

1 replies, 1015 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Insurers declare catastrophe on Tasmanian fires (Original post)
Fire Walk With Me Jan 2013 OP
formercia Jan 2013 #1

Response to Fire Walk With Me (Original post)

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 10:05 AM

1. I was in Hobart during a big Fire in 1967

Many people were killed. The Eucalyptus trees burn like they're soaked in accelerant.

The worst part was finding a Beer. The Australian Army was fighting the fire and they got all the Beer. Lucky for me. I was in the Navy and was allowed on their Base, so we got shitfaced with the Diggers and had a grand old time.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread