HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Remember the 67 Republica...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 12:52 AM

Remember the 67 Republicans in House of Representatives who turned their backs on Hur. Sandy Victims

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Kaleva (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: New York Daily News

The worst of the phonies come from Florida, Alabama and Mississippi, who came running for money in 2005 in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. We bailed them out then, but they tell us to drop dead

There are 67 Republicans from the House of Representatives who voted against the first round of federal money to pay for flood insurance claims from Hurricane Sandy. You ought to remember every one of them, all these elected officials who seem to have all the qualities of dogs except loyalty.

The worst on this list, and the ones who come across as the biggest phonies, are the ones from places like Florida and Alabama and the Carolinas and Mississippi, the ones who have come running to the federal government with their hands out after their own natural disasters, practically demanding money.

These are people who voted against money that is a fraction of what the victims of Sandy are entitled to, the part of the legislation - once House Speaker John Boehner stopped playing politics and games, anyway - that was supposed to be easy. Now these same people want to act as if their “no” votes were some sort of brave stance against pork-barrel spending added to the legislation in the Senate.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2-faced-zealots-congress-kick-sandy-victims-gut-article-1.1233607

17 replies, 3505 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 17 replies Author Time Post
Reply Remember the 67 Republicans in House of Representatives who turned their backs on Hur. Sandy Victims (Original post)
KeepItReal Jan 2013 OP
lonestarnot Jan 2013 #1
Jenoch Jan 2013 #8
lonestarnot Jan 2013 #16
SunSeeker Jan 2013 #2
sheshe2 Jan 2013 #3
bluestateguy Jan 2013 #4
Piazza Riforma Jan 2013 #5
olddad56 Jan 2013 #6
AnnieK401 Jan 2013 #7
AnnieK401 Jan 2013 #9
ReRe Jan 2013 #10
KeepItReal Jan 2013 #12
dmosh42 Jan 2013 #11
Fla Dem Jan 2013 #13
truth2power Jan 2013 #14
denvine Jan 2013 #15
Kaleva Jan 2013 #17

Response to KeepItReal (Original post)

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 01:02 AM

1. Newly elected Flake from AZ asshole and 2 or 3 other embarassers from this state.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to lonestarnot (Reply #1)

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 02:31 AM

8. Uhm...Flake is in the senate where the Sandy Relief bill passed unanimously.

Response to Jenoch (Reply #8)

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 11:03 AM

16. Woops you are right.

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 01:07 AM

2. The Repukes claimed it was about pork, but these homeowners PAID for this coverage.

This was money to pay flood insurance claims--coverage the homeowners paid for. What they voted on was just a $9.7 billion bill to pay flood insurance claims from Hurricane Sandy. It only extends the borrowing authority of the National Flood Insurance Program, which the Federal Emergency Management Agency warned on Tuesday was set to run out of money next week without additional funds from Congress. There is no "pork" here--just contractual obligations on the part of the National Flood Insurance Program.

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 01:13 AM

3. This is what I have to say to the 67 that voted no!

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 01:14 AM

4. I will therefore oppose any federal disaster aid to their districts

Until they are voted out .

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 01:39 AM

5. The sad thing is this won't hurt them in the long run in their red districts.

Conservative voters in a place like Southwest Missouri have no trouble at all reconciling the fact that they stood in line at the FEMA trailer after the May 2011 tornado and denying the same to Sandy's victims.

It's always different with them so they feel no ill will if their representative votes against aid for hurricane victims. Personal responsibility, to your average conservabagger, is a virtue someone else needs to have.

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 01:50 AM

6. I live in Sacramento, It sits i a flood zone, good to know my flood insurance is worthless.

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 02:33 AM

9. Here's a list of the actual names:

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 02:37 AM

10. The states you mentioned above are....

... known as the Deep South. Don't ever go there to live... it's like living in a foreign country right here in our own nation.

Response to ReRe (Reply #10)

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 09:58 AM

12. I'm from Louisiana

The right-wingers stay in power there through gerrymandering and institutionalized ignorance of the population at-large of their machinations.

I live in California now. How's that for a change of scenery?

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 06:04 AM

11. Time to reduce the size of some military bases, especially in those states!

Response to dmosh42 (Reply #11)

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 10:15 AM

13. Yes! Let's start reducing spending in those states first!

Let's start spending reductions in those districts where the biggest cheerleaders for reducing government reside. Let's see how fast they change their tune. Close down the military bases, federal government offices, and cut back on emergency relief funds to those states and districts. Let's see how quick those pompous "get government off my back" two-bit rethugs start squealing like stuck pigs

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 10:24 AM

14. One was newly elected Brad Wenstrup (R-OH). He defeated mean Jean Schmidt in the primary....

I guess her Bagger friends thought she wasn't conservative enough.

Think I'll call his office on Monday and say he should be ashamed of himself.

As if he gives a crap.

Response to truth2power (Reply #14)

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 10:53 AM

15. I'm right across the river in KY

Tea party favorite Thomas Massie was elected in my district. Not only did he vote against the Hurricane Sandy aid, he just introduced his first bill to repeal the Gun Free School Zone Act of 1990. REALLY! He wants anyone to be able to carry a gun in school. I wish I could hope he would be a one term congressman, but I'm afraid there are enough bagger constituents in this area.
SIGH!!!!

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 12:36 PM

17. Locking

Commentary and opinion pieces are outside the SOP of LBN. Please repost in GD or continue discussion here:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1014356489