HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Florida mother kills infa...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 11:10 PM

Florida mother kills infant son in murder-suicide attempt, police say

Source: CNN

A 20-year-old Florida woman was in critical condition Friday after she shot and killed her 6-month-old son and then turned the gun on herself, police said.

Authorities found Melanie Reyes and her baby after performing a welfare check at the request of Reyes' family, who called 911 to report a statement on her Facebook page in which she "indicated she was going to shoot her child and herself," according to the Marion County Sheriff's Office.

Both were transported to a hospital, where the infant was pronounced dead.

Police recovered the handgun believed used in the shootings from the home.

Read more: http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/04/justice/florida-baby-killed/index.html

4 replies, 1944 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Florida mother kills infant son in murder-suicide attempt, police say (Original post)
alp227 Jan 2013 OP
Heather MC Jan 2013 #1
The Straight Story Jan 2013 #2
slackmaster Jan 2013 #3
crim son Jan 2013 #4

Response to alp227 (Original post)

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 02:15 PM

1. how did people announce their Murder sucide intentions before facebook?

Why didn't she use her Facebook to ask for help with her baby?
Sad

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to alp227 (Original post)

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 02:29 PM

2. Since the shooter was female - was not the gun. Either society or a man made her do it

Like the lady who drowned her kids some years ago - in such cases we look for causes of crime and how to remedy them.

Religion, over bearing husband, economy....not the gun cause she had other options to use in this case.

Cut the lady some slack. She needs some help. Might be depression she was not able to get treated because her husband cheated on her and left her with all the bills and no food.

It says she did he him with a baseball bat - probably because he was a jerk of some type and had it coming.

Awww who the hell am I kidding, the gun made her do it. Much easier than thinking about things.

Reply to this post

Response to The Straight Story (Reply #2)

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 02:52 PM

3. Postpartum depression is a common explanation

Reply to this post

Response to The Straight Story (Reply #2)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 11:22 AM

4. Being a mother who thinks about things

it strikes me that shooting my infant would be a hell of a lot easier than, say, bludgeoning it to death with a baseball bat, or even drowning it. And after the infant was dead, it would be very difficult to bludgeon myself to death with that same bat. The gun made it all infinitely easier, no question about that.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread