HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Crapo Says He Kept Alcoho...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 03:36 PM

Crapo Says He Kept Alcohol In Apartment ‘On Occasion,’ ‘To Relieve Stress’

Source: TPM

TOM KLUDT 3:12 PM EST, FRIDAY JANUARY 4, 2013

Sen. Mike Crapo (R-ID) on Friday released a lengthy, second statement following his guilty plea to a misdemeanor drunken driving charge in which he elaborated on his drinking habits, Mormon faith and his account of what transpired on the night of his December arrest. The three-term senator released a pithier statement earlier in the day.

The full statement:

I have recently made personal choices that are at odds with who I am, who Idahoans rightly believe me to be and who I strive to be. I believe public officials should be held to higher standards, since I have been entrusted by Idahoans to make choices and votes on their behalf. I offer my apologies, ask for your forgiveness for my recent failings and I make a firm commitment that I will strive to regain the trust that I have lost.

As a public servant, I owe Idahoans a full and accurate explanation of my failings. I appreciate the opportunity that I have had in the last few days to privately explain and apologize to my family. I love them deeply and appreciate their encouragement and support in helping me face this situation.

In recent months, and for less than a year, I have on occasion had alcoholic drinks in my apartment in Washington, DC. It was a poor choice to use alcohol to relieve stress—and one at odds with my personally-held religious beliefs. However, on the night of Saturday, December 22nd, I made another even worse decision to go for a drive to get out of my apartment and try to wind down. I left my apartment, driving out past the monuments. I was alone during this drive and never left my vehicle. After driving around for approximately 30 to 40 minutes, I realized what a mistake it had been for me to drive and decided to return to my apartment. I approached a multi-street intersection and mistakenly turned against a red light. It was at that time that the police pulled me over. As has been publicly reported, I cooperated fully with the officer. I failed the field sobriety tests. As you know, I pled guilty and will follow through on the punishment imposed by the court.

-snip-

Read more: http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/crapo-says-he-kept-alcohol-in-apartment-on

36 replies, 4048 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 36 replies Author Time Post
Reply Crapo Says He Kept Alcohol In Apartment ‘On Occasion,’ ‘To Relieve Stress’ (Original post)
DonViejo Jan 2013 OP
Judi Lynn Jan 2013 #1
dwigthreeD Jan 2013 #9
Judi Lynn Jan 2013 #16
alcibiades_mystery Jan 2013 #34
Blasphemer Jan 2013 #36
rbixby Jan 2013 #2
KamaAina Jan 2013 #3
TexasTowelie Jan 2013 #28
LeftInTX Jan 2013 #4
TwilightGardener Jan 2013 #5
llmart Jan 2013 #17
Heather MC Jan 2013 #6
atreides1 Jan 2013 #23
Heather MC Jan 2013 #24
denverbill Jan 2013 #7
rivegauche Jan 2013 #11
2naSalit Jan 2013 #8
CreekDog Jan 2013 #30
2naSalit Jan 2013 #31
rivegauche Jan 2013 #10
Va Lefty Jan 2013 #12
Skittles Jan 2013 #13
NBachers Jan 2013 #14
MADem Jan 2013 #27
KansDem Jan 2013 #15
kiranon Jan 2013 #18
longship Jan 2013 #29
1Greensix Jan 2013 #19
brooklynite Jan 2013 #20
tabasco Jan 2013 #21
jpak Jan 2013 #22
cthulu2016 Jan 2013 #25
MADem Jan 2013 #26
question everything Jan 2013 #32
olddad56 Jan 2013 #33
truthisfreedom Jan 2013 #35

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 03:40 PM

1. So he drinks at home then goes for little drives?

It would be more fun inhaling helium then calling constituents.

Less dangerous.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Judi Lynn (Reply #1)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 04:26 PM

9. "To Relieve Stress"

What a bunch of Crappo

Reply to this post

Response to dwigthreeD (Reply #9)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 05:50 PM

16. Surprising doctors haven't thought of that prescription for patients!

Sen. Crappo will see how unstressed he is explaining his DUI's back home.

Welcome to D.U., dwigthreeD.

Reply to this post

Response to Judi Lynn (Reply #1)

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 02:17 PM

34. Ahem...booty call...dude's protesting quite a bit here

"I went for a 40 minute drive?"

More to this....

Reply to this post

Response to alcibiades_mystery (Reply #34)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 01:02 AM

36. Oh, I hadn't thought of that! I'm sure you are right.... nt

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 03:40 PM

2. Sounds like someone's getting disfellowshipped!

Well, probably not, since he's influential the mormon church will forgive him. If he was just some every day schmuck, they'd definitely kick him to the curb

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 03:45 PM

3. Not to worry. Idahoans are used to it by now.

I have recently made personal choices that are at odds with who I am, who Idahoans rightly believe me to be and who I strive to be.

(tap tap taptaptap)

Reply to this post

Response to KamaAina (Reply #3)

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 05:17 AM

28. Yes, I also wonder what he was doing out there on that long drive.

It seems like trolling is now a job requirement for Idaho senators.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 03:49 PM

4. Darn, I just assumed he had been drinking at a Christmas party

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 03:53 PM

5. I don't really know why he feels compelled to go into a big story.

What happened was pretty self-explanatory. Someone needs to teach him the principle of "Least said, soonest mended".

Reply to this post

Response to TwilightGardener (Reply #5)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 06:12 PM

17. How ironic.

I was just watching Dr. Phil who gave a list of signs someone is lying through their teeth and one of the signs was "they give too many details". Ha. Ha. How appropriate for this lying sack of shit.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 03:53 PM

6. What a bunch of bullshit. I live in the DC area there is no way driving unwinds you in DC no matter

what time of day or night.
I bet he had just dropped off a prostitute probably a male one.
He got caught during universal booty call hours. he was doing more than drinking he was doing someone he wasn't suppose to.

DISCLAIMER
This is pure speculation I have no proof. but this guy is F.O.S!

Reply to this post

Response to Heather MC (Reply #6)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 09:57 PM

23. I second that

I also live in the DC area and there is no such thing as stress free driving...even at night when there is less traffic.

And during the Christmas shopping time...he's full of it!

Reply to this post

Response to atreides1 (Reply #23)

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 03:32 AM

24. My idea of stress free driving in DC is taking the metro

while wearing headphones to drown out the loud talkers.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 03:54 PM

7. This so reminds me of former Iowa Senator Richard Jepsen.

He gave 3-4 different explanations of why he visited a seedy nude massage parlor, each of which contradicted the others.

My bet is :

1) He wasn't drinking alone in his apartment.
2) He wasn't just going for a drive
3) He was driving home from after drinking with someone he shouldn't have been with in the first place and that's what he's really covering up.

Reply to this post

Response to denverbill (Reply #7)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 04:31 PM

11. I'm going to go with #3. nt

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 04:12 PM

8. It usually happens that

those who are way willing to give a detailed explanation are hiding something more dubious than what they are confessing... like Patraeus, for instance, I don't believe he resigned for simply having an affair with that woman. Crapo is a highly experienced liar, as I used to be one of his constituents and i caught him at it and let several news outlets know about it. He spent days releasing alternate explanations for what I exposed. And none of them were true, those of us who were present at the event where he lied to our faces know it and have never let him off the hook either.

The LDS church requires something far more horrid for them to do more than give him a pep talk. Hell, you have to really piss them off a number of times for them to accept that you have told them you wish to leave their religion. I know several who tried and it took years. He's embedded so nothing more will happen unless he gets caught out of state again and then it will only be an issue with that jurisdiction. (LDS = Latter Day Saints).

Reply to this post

Response to 2naSalit (Reply #8)

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 06:57 AM

30. yeah, they won't kick him out, he only violated their rules, it's not like he's a feminist

if you doubt me, might want to talk to some ex-BYU professors.

Reply to this post

Response to CreekDog (Reply #30)

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 09:28 AM

31. To be honest...

when I wrote that, those professors came to mind and I was prepared to make mention of them but didn't want reprimand from somewhere. Talking about that secular group cam get one in trouble... also worthy of mention is that blogger who was exposing some of mittens' activities and issues during the election, they were threatened with the "dreaded" (?) excommunication. If I had been born into a family that was involved in all that, I would have welcomed the distinction.

But you are correct, teaching feminism of simply holding such views while employed by the church will get you to that distinguished goal much more quickly. How dare someone advocate for equality for women!

But it does help explain the whole part where he'll not suffer much from his home state when you understand that there is no such thing as separation of church and state in Idaho... he's anointed and can do little to no wrong. Look at how many times Senator Wide-stance had to get busted before he was advised to resign. And preaching is a specialty, it helps cover the BS snell for most of their "flock".

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 04:30 PM

10. *cough* BULLSHIT *cough*

What a simpering pile of stale horseshit. He's sobbing and grovelling because he got caught, no other reason. This type of hypocrisy sickens me more than anything.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 05:14 PM

12. Let me get this straight

He is fined $250 (the minimum in Va. for first offense) and apparently he is not required to install ignition interlock device on his car as per Virginia State law. I am shocked at this double standard. (not really)
" In summary, I am profoundly sorry for the pain and embarrassment that I have brought to my family, to Idahoans, to my church, to my colleagues in the U.S. Senate and my staff, to anyone who has placed their trust in me."

How about being sorry for being a republican obstructionist asshole!

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 05:15 PM

13. if you're gonna come clean, COME CLEAN

there's all sorts of mitigation going on in this "statement" - tell the whole truth - people are more forgiving of people who lay it on the line

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 05:30 PM

14. Another lying republican shit gets caught with his pants down and tries to lie his way out of it

Sorry, I just don't believe the "drunk driving therapy and I found meself roving far from my home" alibi.

Check out a related thread from someone who lives there: http://www.democraticunderground.com/1014356422

Keep talking, you lying crap douchebag pile of shit with worms wiggling around and flies all over it.

Reply to this post

Response to NBachers (Reply #14)

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 04:33 AM

27. It does smell like he was coming on home from a drunken assignation of some sort.

I don't believe for a second that he slammed down a few vodka tonics and then decided to "go for a drive." You go for a WALK if you need fresh air. He was coming home from a assignation, IMO.

I hope a good reporter starts following his ass around!

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 05:44 PM

15. I thought that was what the Bible was for...

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 06:22 PM

18. He needs to go to AA IMHO. Appears to be in denial big time.

Perhaps there is a Mormon equivalent of AA. It's not unusual to be a Jack Mormon but driving while drunk is.

Reply to this post

Response to kiranon (Reply #18)

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 06:40 AM

29. Maybe his mistook Jack Daniels for Jack Mormon. nt

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 06:23 PM

19. What a lying sack of Crappola

Have Republicans actually forgotten How to tell the truth?? When was the last time you heard one talking, that wasn't lying about something? It's become pathological! They Never take responsibility for Anything they do.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 07:12 PM

20. I'm sure God understands

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 07:34 PM

21. Grannie's tonic! For medicinal use only!

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

What a comedian!!!

Reply to this post

Response to tabasco (Reply #21)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 07:51 PM

22. He had the Rhumattizz!

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 04:01 AM

25. Please tell me the Daily News had a CRAPO BLOTTO!!! headline

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 04:14 AM

26. He's a booze hound, then!!!!! A booze hound and a bullshitter!!

What a stupid diatribe to write and release--it's a gift that keeps on giving. I hope his next opponent has the good sense to refer to it early and often.

He would have been better off shutting his trap, leaving his statement at "I made a mistake, I am ashamed, embarrassed, and sorry" and doing a short stint -- a week or two--at one of those fake-ass spas they call "rehab" that cater to wealthy, unserious people.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 12:03 PM

32. Did not follow the story beyond the headline, so did not realize he is from ID

What is the matter with their Senators?

First it was Craig with "wide stance" and now a very un-Mormon habit of drinking..

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 01:26 PM

33. " I have recently made personal choices that are at odds with who I am," ...

Or, perhaps he is at odds with who he really is. He owes it to the people of Idaho to resign, so they can elect another loser like he and Larry Wide Stance. It isn't his fault he and Larry let the voters of Idaho down, they let themselves down when they elected these creeps. How naive do they have to be to continue to elect these kind of people?

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 11:24 PM

35. Here's a guess: Having a gay affair.

Such a complex explanation! Imagine... we so commonly go for a drive to blow off some steam when we're drunk!

The bullshit is strong in this one. He's obviously incapable of telling the truth.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread