HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » The relation between anti...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 06:39 AM

The relation between antisocial personality and the perceived ability to deceive

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Kaleva (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Al Jazeera

Argentine President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner has released a public letter urging the United Kingdom to relinquish its control over the disputed Falkland Islands.

She accused Britain of taking part in an act of "blatant colonialism" in claiming the archipelago and called on UK Prime Minister David Cameron to honour UN resolutions that indicate both sides should sit at the negotiating table to discuss the sovereignty of the Falklands.

"One-hundred-and-eighty years ago on the same date, January 3rd, in a blatant exercise of 19th-century colonialism, Argentina was forcibly stripped of the Malvinas Islands, which are situated 14,000km away from London," Kirchner says in the letter, copied to UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.

Meanwhile, Argentine veterans from the Falkland War, a conflict in 1982 between the UK and Argetina, gathered outside the British embassy in Buenos Aires on Thursday to mark the 180th anniversary of what they call the British occupation of the islands.

Read more: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/americas/2013/01/20131322357604196.html

UK refuses to give up the stolen Falklands because their military power is much superior to that of Argentina.

Thieves.

11 replies, 1861 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply The relation between antisocial personality and the perceived ability to deceive (Original post)
Welcome_hubby Jan 2013 OP
dipsydoodle Jan 2013 #1
Systematic Chaos Jan 2013 #3
ashling Jan 2013 #2
cosmicone Jan 2013 #4
dipsydoodle Jan 2013 #5
Bluenorthwest Jan 2013 #6
FarrenH Jan 2013 #10
marble falls Jan 2013 #7
Ash_F Jan 2013 #8
FarrenH Jan 2013 #9
Kaleva Jan 2013 #11

Response to Welcome_hubby (Original post)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 06:51 AM

1. I think you might have cut and pasted the wrong headline

Please correct and change to that as used in your link : Argentina reasserts claim over Falklands

Aside from that this isn't LBN - happened 24 hours ago let alone the 12 hour limit for LBN.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to dipsydoodle (Reply #1)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 07:01 AM

3. You passed the test. Expect your first assignment at 0900.

The red condor pooped in the broccoli field.

I repeat: The red condor pooped in the broccoli field.

3, 6, 17, 29, 43, alpha, mu, doorknob.

That is all.

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 06:53 AM

2. Damned Brits!

Who do they think they are, USA?!

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 07:06 AM

4. Most of today's conflicts can be traced back to the nefarious Brits

They split India out of spite and created a worldwide headache called Pakistan.

They created Israel on Palestinian land, then abstained at the UN over the creation of Israel and then facilitated formation of the Arab league to make the conflict more acrimonious.

They created today's Kuwait which never existed before on land that Iraq had a legitimate right to.

They were the active participants in the creation of Belgium with two uneasy cultures - Walloons and Flemish.

It is high time the British give up all its colonial territories and return all the artifacts and precious objects stolen from the colonies like the jewels from India and the maidens from the Acropolis etc.

Response to cosmicone (Reply #4)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 07:11 AM

5. Searching the history of the Falklands might make more sense.

Its up to to the islanders themselves by way of referendum.

Response to dipsydoodle (Reply #5)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 07:48 AM

6. 1774 the American Revolution was spendy! Britain left Malvinas with a plaque saying 'dibs'.

First Euorpean to discover the Islands...Dutch.
You know as well as I that this is all about future exploitation of natural resources. The history is of the Malvinas Islands.
After fleeing to spend the pounds on fighting Americans, Britain came back to see their plaque on Malvinas Islands in 1833. Mid 1800's, they 'established a claim'. Mmmmmhmmmm.

Response to Bluenorthwest (Reply #6)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 10:01 AM

10. As tenuous as the British claim is, the Argentine claim is even more so

consisting of using the islands as a base for piracy for six months and a very brief and largely unsuccessful attempt at colonisation during British absence by part of what is today Argentina. Even this colonisation attempt included Britons. And it lasted roughly 5 years if I read my history right.

The fact that the island's citizens, including descendants of (primarily German) colonists from the United Provinces of the River Plate who are now English speaking, want to remain with the UK trumps a brief claim based on five years of being barely occupied by a nascent Argentinia 180 years ago. Its an absurd claim.

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 08:18 AM

7. Ironically enough Argentina supports the Israeli occupation of Palestine from 1949 on ....

Thatcher's first inclination was to 'return' the Falklands but that Argentina didn't want to discuss the issue first. Both countries are nuts.

BTW, great headline. I rec'd on that alone.

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 08:34 AM

8. No war for Seal skins!!!

"I have to direct you that I have received directions from His Excellency and Commander-in-Chief of His Britannic Majesty's ships and vessels of war, South America station, in the name of His Britannic Majesty, to exercise the rights of sovereignty over these Islands.
It is my intention to hoist to-morrow the national flag of Great Britain on shore when I request you will be pleased to haul down your flag on shore and withdraw your force, taking all stores belonging to your Government"

They really threatened with class back then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reassertion_of_British_sovereignty_over_the_Falkland_Islands_(1833)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 09:48 AM

9. Thieves? Bullshit

The French and English colonised the Falklands before Argentina existed. The English speaking population wants to remain with the UK. Picking an arbitrary event at an arbitrary point in the Falkland's history and saying QED: it belongs to us is pure, unrefined bullshit. Argentina's claim is unsustainable and support for the claim from Mercosur countries (as well as sanctions against Falklands ships) is shameful.

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 10:14 AM

11. Locking

Please follow SOP guidelines when posting:

"News stories must have been published within the last 12 hours. Use the published title of the story as the title of the discussion thread."

http://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=about&forum=1014