HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » US judge says government ...

Wed Jan 2, 2013, 06:00 PM

US judge says government doesn't have to disclose documents on legality of targeted killings

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by azurnoir (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Associated Press

US judge says government doesn't have to disclose documents on legality of targeted killings
By David B. Caruso, The Associated Press January 2, 2013 5:10 PM

NEW YORK, N.Y. - A judge in New York has ruled that President Barack Obama's administration doesn't have to publicly disclose its legal justification for drone attacks and other deadly methods it has used to kill suspected terrorists overseas.

The New York Times and the American Civil Liberties Union filed a request under the Freedom of Information Act in 2011 that sought documents in which Justice Department lawyers had discussed the highly classified "targeted killing" program.

The requests followed a drone strike in Yemen that killed an al-Qaida leader who had been born in the U.S.

In a decision signed Wednesday, U.S. District Judge Colleen McMahon chided the administration for keeping its legal reasoning a secret, but she also said she had no authority to order the documents disclosed.

Read more: http://www.canada.com/news/world/judge+says+government+doesnt+have+disclose+documents+legality/7767293/story.html

6 replies, 732 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply US judge says government doesn't have to disclose documents on legality of targeted killings (Original post)
Judi Lynn Jan 2013 OP
FiveGoodMen Jan 2013 #1
cstanleytech Jan 2013 #3
FiveGoodMen Jan 2013 #5
Solly Mack Jan 2013 #2
Coyotl Jan 2013 #4
azurnoir Jan 2013 #6

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Wed Jan 2, 2013, 06:09 PM

1. That's an official declaration that the US president has the power of life and death over anyone

That's a king.

We got rid of those.

This is a betrayal of everything American clear back to the revolution.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to FiveGoodMen (Reply #1)

Wed Jan 2, 2013, 06:22 PM

3. Not the way I read it at all.

I am betting its more like the same argument the government has made over gitmo in that as long as its not happening inside the US its not an issue the courts can deal with plus there is the other issue of the government needing to keep some secrets like who leaked where so and so was going to be at such and such time.
Do I agree with everything that the government is doing in dealing with members of al-Qaeda including these killings? Nope, I do not agree and I suspect it might come back and bite us on the ass but on the other hand I also do not have an answer on how they can deal with these people if they are hiding in countries where members of the governments there are assisting them in hiding or who refuse to arrest them and put them on trial there or at least extradite them to countries where they are wanted for crimes.

Response to cstanleytech (Reply #3)

Wed Jan 2, 2013, 06:28 PM

5. "everything that the government is doing in dealing with members of al-Qaeda"

Again, one of the victims was not accused of involvement with terrorism.

So it's just any time the pres wants to kill someone.

And if you trust Obama to always make the right decision, don't forget that someone else will hold that office in the future.

Wed Jan 2, 2013, 06:21 PM

2. K&R

Wed Jan 2, 2013, 06:26 PM

4. The OP reads different than the story "she had no authority to order ...."

Not the same. What seems to be needed is legislation making killing people a crime.

Wed Jan 2, 2013, 06:40 PM

6. sorry duplicate thread locking

please continue discussion here

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1014354242