HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Obama Would Prefer ‘Grand...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Dec 31, 2012, 02:01 PM

Obama Would Prefer ‘Grand Bargain’ Over Emerging Stopgap Deal

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by uppityperson (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: TPM

BENJY SARLIN 1:50 PM EST, MONDAY DECEMBER 31, 2012

President Obama said a deal is close on preventing tax hikes set to go in effect on January 1, but that it will be a modest agreement that does not include sweeping spending or revenue changes. While Obama said he would prefer a "grand bargain" that included these components, “It was obviously too much to hope for at this time."

-30-

Read more: http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/obama-would-prefer-grand-bargain-over-emerging-stopgap

8 replies, 1180 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Mon Dec 31, 2012, 02:03 PM

1. What exactly is the point

in duplicating your own posts instead of just updating the first one of three ?

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to dipsydoodle (Reply #1)

Mon Dec 31, 2012, 02:06 PM

2. Separate articles. Follow the links to each one if it will make you happy nt

Response to DonViejo (Reply #2)

Mon Dec 31, 2012, 02:08 PM

3. Are you saying its not all from the same speech.

Response to dipsydoodle (Reply #3)

Mon Dec 31, 2012, 02:15 PM

6. No, I'm saying they are three separate articles and...

I posted them here as soon as the source published them.

Mon Dec 31, 2012, 02:08 PM

4. A Grand Bargain gives away more than incremental up-down votes next year.

This is disturbing because it shows Obama's intentions, and he has now clearly stated his willingness to cut Social Security benefits over time. This is not why I worked for his election and reelection. I take it as a betrayal.

Mon Dec 31, 2012, 02:15 PM

5. I will get kicked off of DU for saying this, but that does not change the fact that it is true.

Obama is a fool if he goes for this. Sorry but it is true.

This is precisely how negotiations work. You go down to the wire. You do not give in until you have gotten all you can.

It is too early to make a deal on the revenue side.

Now your spending side is open like a fresh wound for the Republicans to feast on.

This is a stupid move.

Obama and we will regret it if he agrees to this deal.

He is no chess player. Sorry. This is a bad move.

Mon Dec 31, 2012, 02:26 PM

7. If Obama does not get the whole deal done within the first weeks of his second term,

his entire second term will be paralyzed by concerns over this ridiculous debt thing.

The focus should be on improving the economy and spreading the solutions to he debt across the entire population by placing duties of some sort on imports. That is the only way to actually keep money in our country so that we can rebuild our economy.

We are now approaching this like the guy working the maximum number of hours at a low-wage job who thinks that if he only increases his hours a little each week, he can pay off his overwhelming debts.

That is not how you do it. You have to get a job that pays better. You need to invest your time working toward a higher salary not just more hours at minimum wage.

As long as American wages remain low compared to the amount of capital we have flowing around the international economy, our government will not be able to balance out its fiscal household.

There is a link between how much we earn and spend in the world, the value of our dollar (the real value of it) and our domestic balance sheet.

Our trade deficit is, in my opinion, the cause of our budget deficit.

We are spending too much overseas. We need to bring some of that money home and establish a much healthier balance.

The money we spend overseas does not get adequately taxed here. That is our problem.

And that is why we need to start by closing some of our bases overseas. They are too expensive to maintain, and they entail an outflow of money.

Sorry. I know that a lot of people argue that the domestic deficits (and consumer debt) and the balance of payments deficit are unrelated, but I strongly disagree.

Mon Dec 31, 2012, 02:43 PM

8. Locking as a duplicate. Thanks for understanding. Here's the link...

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1014352404

They are different articles but not different news, more up continuing the story. Thanks for understanding.