HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Arizona sheriff orders ar...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Dec 30, 2012, 12:12 AM

Arizona sheriff orders armed 'posse' to patrol schools

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Tx4obama (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: NBC News

Arizona sheriffs and the state’s attorney general are pushing controversial programs to allow school officials and volunteers to carry guns in the wake of the shootings at a Connecticut school that left 20 children dead.

The latest proposal comes from Sheriff Joe Arpaio, the self-described toughest sheriff in America, who wants to station his “posse” of volunteers outside of about 50 schools in Maricopa County within a week, according to KPNX, a local NBC station.

“Everybody else is talking about what their ideas are. They want new laws. This is immediate. I don't need a new law to send out my posse,” he told NBC affiliate, KPNX, on Thursday. “I feel like we should do whatever we can outside of the schools.”

Arpaio’s volunteers number about 3,000, with 300 to 400 carrying weapons. They log about 100 hours of training and undergo background checks, just like deputies, according to KPNX.

Read more: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/28/16215255-arizona-sheriff-orders-armed-posse-to-patrol-schools?lite

Gee, the idea of thousands of untrained armed "volunteers" patrolling near my children's schools does not exactly make me safe and secure.

3 replies, 600 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Arizona sheriff orders armed 'posse' to patrol schools (Original post)
TomCADem Dec 2012 OP
marybourg Dec 2012 #1
msongs Dec 2012 #2
Tx4obama Dec 2012 #3

Response to TomCADem (Original post)

Sun Dec 30, 2012, 12:15 AM

1. The article says "trained", not "untrained".

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Dec 30, 2012, 12:20 AM

2. nut jobs posse = amateurs spreading the laws of joe on decent citizens nt

Sun Dec 30, 2012, 12:22 AM

3. Locking, sorry. LBN Dupe. Please continue discussion on LBN link below