HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » State Dept. issues revise...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Dec 29, 2012, 09:56 AM

State Dept. issues revised Haiti travel warning

Source: AP

WASHINGTON (AP) The State Department has issued an updated warning to Americans traveling to Haiti, citing murder, robbery and infectious disease.

The advisory issued Friday warns that no one traveling to Haiti is safe from kidnapping, regardless of occupation, nationality, race, gender, or age.

In recent months, the department says, travelers arriving in Port-au-Prince on flights from the U.S. have been attacked and robbed after leaving the airport. At least two Americans were shot and killed in robbery and kidnapping incidents this year.

Haitian authorities, the department says, have limited capacity to deter or investigate violent crimes.

The State Department also notes that cholera persists in many areas of Haiti. Medical facilities, including ambulance services, are particularly weak.

-30-

Read more: http://www.salon.com/2012/12/29/state_dept_issues_revised_haiti_travel_warning/

2 replies, 1208 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply State Dept. issues revised Haiti travel warning (Original post)
DonViejo Dec 2012 OP
TroubleMan Dec 2012 #1
panAmerican Dec 2012 #2

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Sat Dec 29, 2012, 07:56 PM

1. Great - I have to go back there in a couple of months for an installation.

Actually the company that we're doing the work for drives us around everywhere in their vehicle, which has bulletproof glass. I thought it was overkill before - I guess it wasn't.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Sat Dec 29, 2012, 11:27 PM

2. How unfortunate. Meanwhile the president and his entourage is jetting around the world.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread