HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » President Obama: Congress...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Dec 29, 2012, 07:25 AM

President Obama: Congress Must Protect Middle Class

Source: UPI

U.S. President Barack Obama said Saturday Congress must meet its deadlines and responsibilities and protect the middle class from higher income taxes.

"For the past couple months, I've been working with people in both parties -- with the help of business leaders and ordinary Americans -- to come together around a plan to grow the economy and shrink our deficits," Obama said in his weekly radio and Internet address.

"It's a balanced plan -- one that would protect the middle class, cut spending in a responsible way, and ask the wealthiest Americans to pay a little more. And I'll keep working with anybody who's serious about getting a comprehensive plan like this done -- because it's the right thing to do for our economic growth," the president said.

"In just a couple days, the law says that every American's tax rates are going up. Every American's paycheck will get a lot smaller. And that would be the wrong thing to do for our economy. It would hurt middle-class families, and it would hurt the businesses that depend on your spending."

&feature=player_embedded

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2012/12/29/Obama-Congress-must-protect-middle-class/UPI-14191356778800/

Weekly Address: Congress Must Protect the Middle Class from Income Tax Hike

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/12/28/weekly-address-congress-must-protect-middle-class-income-tax-hike

7 replies, 1754 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply President Obama: Congress Must Protect Middle Class (Original post)
cal04 Dec 2012 OP
tavalon Dec 2012 #1
plethoro Dec 2012 #2
Cresent City Kid Dec 2012 #3
forestpath Dec 2012 #7
KG Dec 2012 #4
Igel Dec 2012 #5
plethoro Dec 2012 #6

Response to cal04 (Original post)

Sat Dec 29, 2012, 08:45 AM

1. I am a member of the hallowed middle class

and I would like to say: What about the poor, the homeless, the hungry children? I am tired of being held up as the very epitome of what we must protect - after the rich class, that is.

I don't care about the fucking tax hike. We should be paying our fair share, the richest and the middle class. We are the fortunate few, becoming fewer by the year. Tax us. Feed the hungry children, house the homeless and give the poor a social safety net.

Stop using me and all of the others in that special, special class, the middle class, as your political football. I get that saying "protect the rich" isn't a winning argument, but for me and for many other good and kind people, it's just as heinous that you use us by saying "protect the middle class". We aren't the ones who need protecting. It's the least among us that we must feed and clothe and protect, if Jesus is to be believed.

I believe it was First Lady Michelle Obama who said that we should hold the door open for all. How about, for the New Year, we do that? Really. I don't want to hear about a fiscal cliff and Congress blocking a compromise. I want to hear about how our government is going to stand with us so that all Americans can have the basics of life. Let's start talking about that.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to tavalon (Reply #1)

Sat Dec 29, 2012, 09:35 AM

2. Best post I've read here in a long time. I

just hope you're reading between the lines in these middle class promotions. I'll pay more tax too if it helps take some of the people who are standing on the corners with Will Work for Food signs off the street. I would like to say more but it is getting rather dangerous.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 29, 2012, 10:41 AM

3. You are right

The political center of gravity has been dragged rightward to the point where it's become a pissing contest to see who can be seen as supporting the middle class and the troops the most. Help for the poor is only discussed in terms of how big the cut will be. We can't get anywhere near solving complex problems when proposals for laws that are nearly the same for each party can't even get to the floor for a vote.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 29, 2012, 05:53 PM

7. +1

Reply to this post

Response to cal04 (Original post)

Sat Dec 29, 2012, 11:07 AM

4. piss on the middle class. they've been voting GOP for decades.

how bout some help for the working class...

Reply to this post

Response to KG (Reply #4)

Sat Dec 29, 2012, 03:18 PM

5. No, no.

The middle class is the backbone of America, it's what holds up the country.

It's also got the resilience and combativeness of a nematode in a hothouse, and unless somebody nurtures it, protects it, looks after it, it's going to wither and die quickly. It needs a strong hero to come and save it because it's utterly helpless.

It's called infantilization. It's what makes 22-year-old Americans able to barely bear what a 16-year-old would have been able to handle 160 years ago.

Dostoevskij nailed it: Feed people, alleviate them of reponsibility for difficult choices, and provide them with something to distract them and they're yours. Just make sure that they don't realize that they're kept in swaddling clothes from cradle to coffin.

In the same way we tell those spoiled 14-year-olds that they're essentially grown up even as we keep them from growing up for years longer than they used to.

Reply to this post

Response to KG (Reply #4)

Sat Dec 29, 2012, 04:19 PM

6. I'm upper middle class. I always vote

for Democrats. I would have voted for Eizenhower, but I was too young to vote. But that's it.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread