HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Michigan Abortion Law Sig...

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 06:23 PM

Michigan Abortion Law Signed By Gov. Rick Snyder

Source: Huffington Post

Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder (R) signed an anti-abortion omnibus bill on Friday that imposes restrictions on abortion clinics and physicians. In a surprise, the governor vetoed a separate bill that would have prohibited Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan from including abortion in its standard health coverage.

The Republican-controlled Michigan Legislature passed both anti-abortion bills in a lame-duck session, sparking statewide protests. The bill that Snyder signed on Friday, HB5711, regulates abortion clinics as hospital operating rooms, requires doctors to screen women for coercion before providing abortions, and bans telemedicine to prescribe first-trimester medication abortions. The bill also regulates the disposal of fetal remains after abortions.

"To be screened for coercion is a reasonable thing," Snyder told The Detroit News. "It is really a question of women's health and safety."

Abortion rights advocates said the bill is intended to impose onerous regulations on abortion clinics that could force them to shut down. “This bill was meant to ban abortion in Michigan, and it was pushed through in a lame-duck session by legislators who were voted out of office because of their extreme views on women’s health," said Cecile Richards, president of the Planned Parenthood Action Fund.

Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/28/michigan-abortion-law-_n_2377744.html

The 'War on Women' continues.

12 replies, 2746 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Tx4obama (Original post)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 06:26 PM

1. Overturned by the feds

and slapping Snyder the Snake at the same time.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 06:34 PM

2. I thought there was no war on women.

What do you call this?

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 06:39 PM

3. He signed some 21 bills into law today and I'll be damned if I can find a listing of them and I

live in this bastard state!

Reply to this post

Response to Purveyor (Reply #3)

Sat Dec 29, 2012, 12:21 PM

12. All I can get from local news is he protected internet privacy, vetoed the BCBS

one, signed some of the medical marijuana ones, and a few others. the press is either being cagey, or lying. lsj.com has the most short articles, nowhere close to the entire list. Weird.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 06:41 PM

4. Is there a law that mandates screening men for coercion before they get a vasectomy? I don't know

what they think happens when you get an abortion, but good god of course we do intake questions.

"regulate abortion clinics as surgical centers"? This puts a lot of undue expense on them. Again, are colonoscopy clinics regulated as surgical centers? They should be as they can be very dangerous.

"The bill imposes strict building regulations on abortion clinics, such as specific square-footage minimums and hallway widths, which could prevent many clinics from being able to legally operate without costly and extensive renovations. It also bans the use of telemedicine to prescribe medication abortions, though it is often the only alternative for many women in rural and medically under-served areas of the state."

Hallway widths? I mean, what? And telemedicine prescriptions are fine, should be ok. Call a doctor "I have a positive pg test and want an abortion, am 4 weeks along". And this is ....bad? HOW? Again, I don't know what they think happens but there are intake questions and physical exam and why the fuck do you need to be "prescribed" an abortion?

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 06:58 PM

5. One-Term Governor.

Vote Democrats, Vote.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 06:59 PM

6. American Taliban. Again. n/t

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 07:11 PM

7. How about legislation requiring all clergy be castrated to help reduce abortions?

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 07:44 PM

8. @onetoughnerd on Twitter should you want to

express your disapproval to the Taliban jerk.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 29, 2012, 01:48 AM

9. Snyder's tardy Christmas gift...

Presents for the Christian lobby, coal for the women.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 29, 2012, 02:21 AM

10. RWer masquerading as a knowledgeable nerd -another GOPer deception!

It's John Engler all over again!

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 29, 2012, 10:21 AM

11. And another district court sighs as they overturn the law

Apparently GOP governors and legislators aren't getting the message from federal courts.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread