HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » China tightens Internet c...

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 02:17 PM

China tightens Internet controls, legalizes post deletion

Source: NBC News

China unveiled tighter Internet controls on Friday, legalizing the deletion of posts or pages which are deemed to contain "illegal" information and requiring service providers to hand over such information to the authorities for punishment.

The rules signal that the new leadership headed by Communist Party chief Xi Jinping will continue muzzling the often scathing, raucous online chatter in a country where the Internet offers a rare opportunity for debate.

The new regulations, announced by the official Xinhua news agency, also require Internet users to register with their real names when signing up with network providers, though, in reality, this already happens.

Chinese authorities and Internet companies such as Sina Corp have long since closely monitored and censored what people say online, but the government has now put measures such as deleting posts into law.

Read more: http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/technolog/china-tightens-internet-controls-legalizes-post-deletion-1C7755876

3 replies, 986 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply China tightens Internet controls, legalizes post deletion (Original post)
IDemo Dec 2012 OP
msongs Dec 2012 #1
AldoLeopold Dec 2012 #2
Skittles Dec 2012 #3

Response to IDemo (Original post)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 02:29 PM

1. coming soon to a USA near you, either by corporate or government design nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to IDemo (Original post)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 02:30 PM

2. Sounds like the DU jury system

HEY O! I'll be here all night! Be sure to tip your forum moderator, I know they'll thank you for it!

Reply to this post

Response to AldoLeopold (Reply #2)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 03:05 PM

3. CORRECT!!!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread