HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Weekly Jobless Claims Plu...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 02:01 PM

Weekly Jobless Claims Plunge To Five-Year Low

Source: Huffington Post

The average number of people seeking U.S. unemployment benefits over the past month fell to the lowest level since March 2008, a sign that the job market is healing.

The Labor Department said Thursday that weekly applications dropped 12,000 to a seasonally adjusted 350,000 in the week ended Dec. 22. The four-week average, a less volatile measure, fell to a nearly five-year low of 356,750.

Weekly applications are a proxy for layoffs. They have mostly fluctuated this year between 360,000 and 390,000. At the same time, employers have added an average of 151,000 jobs a month in the first 11 months of 2012. That's just enough to slowly reduce the unemployment rate.

Economists were mildly encouraged by the decline in applications. But they emphasized that the figures are volatile around the holidays. They were also distorted until recent weeks by Superstorm Sandy.

Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/27/weekly-jobless-claims_n_2369646.html

3 replies, 1379 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Weekly Jobless Claims Plunge To Five-Year Low (Original post)
UrbScotty Dec 2012 OP
johnsolaris Dec 2012 #1
railsback Dec 2012 #2
Yo_Mama Dec 2012 #3

Response to UrbScotty (Original post)

Response to johnsolaris (Reply #1)

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 04:21 PM

2. I'm always amused by the 'people who quit looking for work' meme.

How does one do that? Where do these millions of people go? From my personal experience, half my friends hold jobs, the rest freelance for a living. Of course, we have our own specialized niche and a large network built over the years to find consistent work. On my wife's side, all her siblings run their own businesses. I don't know anybody who's just stopped looking for work.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to UrbScotty (Original post)

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 07:26 PM

3. Yes, but 19 states didn't report

These figures don't mean much. The timing of Christmas and New Year's holidays this year mean that the first reliable report will come Jan 10th.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread