HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Tulsi Gabbard Applies for...

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 12:14 PM

Tulsi Gabbard Applies for Inouye Vacancy

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Tx4obama (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Honolulu Civil Beat

Tulsi Gabbard is looking to make the jump to the U.S. Senate before even taking a seat in the House.

Gabbard, who was just elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in November, announed today she wants to fill late U.S. Sen. Daniel K. Inouye’s seat.

Here’s a statement Gabbard sent out about her decision:

“In the military, I learned that ‘leadership’ means raising your hand and volunteering for the tough important assignments. Senator Inouye did that as a young man, and he inspired a generation of young soldiers like me. Now it is our responsibility to step up, for the good of Hawaii. In that spirit, I place my name into consideration for the seat he filled so ably.

Read more: http://hawaii.news.blogs.civilbeat.com/post/38759928087/tulsi-gabbard-applies-for-inouye-vacancy

I've met Tulsi, and she's an impressive individual, but she might be moving a bit fast here.

17 replies, 2238 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to brooklynite (Original post)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 12:21 PM

1. Along with everyone else.

Who hasn't applied?

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to dkf (Reply #1)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 12:36 PM

4. I didn't

Response to jonthebru (Reply #4)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 12:46 PM

5. Yet... :)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 12:23 PM

2. hahaha! what a wonderfully self-serving, self-aggrandizing statement!

yeah, allowing yourself to be appointed senator is just like volunteering for a life-threatening mission in the military.

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 12:32 PM

3. However,

'Before he died, U.S. Sen. Daniel Inouye, D-Hi., asked that U.S. Rep. Colleen Hanabusa replace him in office, Inouye’s office said.'
http://watchdog.org/64923/inouye-wanted-to-name-his-own-successor-to-u-s-senate/

Response to elleng (Reply #3)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 01:39 PM

9. I truly hope this is how this works out!

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 12:58 PM

6. Tulsi Gabbard is no Democrat. She's a wolf in sheep's clothing.

She's the member of a strange cult that's also associated with her parents and family. Her father is a famously bigoted homophobe who is active in Hawaii politics. He switched parties from Repub. when he realized that you can't get anywhere in Hawaii without a D after your name, which I'm sure Tulsi realized as well. After the election I saw many on here praising Gabbard for being a Dem and for being a Hindu, it really made me want to puke. She's only a hindu in relation to this cult which is headed by a guy by the name of Chris Butler. Stop supporting Tulsi Gabbard on this site! She is a Repuke who is only in it for the money and political clout. She's about as corrupt as they come.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/01/20/1056467/-Tulsi-Gabbard-The-Curiously-Conservative-and-Nepotistic-Network-of-a-Democratic-Candidate#

Response to Kooljas (Reply #6)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 01:20 PM

7. That's depressing.

Good that you're telling us.

Response to mainer (Reply #7)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 01:26 PM

8. That family has been trying to break out and have only been successful with Tulsi

They've been active on the state level since the 1980s, always striving for more political power apparently for this new religious movement.

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 02:39 PM

10. have heard that from many people here in honolulu, esp. the homophobia in her family nt

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 02:40 PM

11. When her dad Mike switched parties,

the Dems actually had to hold a caucus to decide whether they wanted him. He's THAT toxic.

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 03:40 PM

12. How many DUers have parents that are republicans and conservatives?

How many democrats have changed their views re: LGBT issues? (e.g. Obama)

The article you cite, reads like a purposeful "hit piece" by someone who hates Tulsi Gabbard. Mostly, guilt by association.

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 03:46 PM

13. To hell with Inouye's wisdom

Dan Inouye to Neil Abercrombie: Colleen Hanabusa is my 'one and only choice' as successor

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 04:12 PM

14. So where did you meet my Congresswoman, brooklynite?

Tulsi is moving fast but it may be good just to know she thinks she can do it.. there will be an election in two years and guess who's going to be in the primary.

Since Senator Inouye endorsed Caroline Hanabusa.. I'm going with her for now.

Response to Cha (Reply #14)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 04:14 PM

16. She was making the rounds in NYC (with Kirsten Gillibrand)...

...likely looking for prospective financial support for her 2014 re-election campaign.

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 04:12 PM

15. UPDATE-Cory Booker Backs Tulsi Gabbard For Hawaii Senate Seat

Huffington Post:

Less than a week after indicating his own interest in seeking a U.S. Senate seat from New Jersey in 2014, Newark Mayor Cory Booker (D) has taken to Twitter to help an ally obtain a Hawaii Senate seat.

Booker used Twitter over the weekend to promote the candidacy of Rep.-elect Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii) to fill the seat of Sen. Daniel Inouye (D), who died last week. Gabbard, an Iraq veteran who was elected to her first term in Congress last month, is one of 12 Democrats seeking the two-year appointment to Inouye's seat. Hawaii Gov. Neil Abercrombie (D) is expected to name a new senator later Wednesday after the state Democratic Party names three finalists.

Booker kicked off his support of Gabbard Friday after receiving a Tweet suggesting he move to Hawaii to become the state's new senator. The two-term mayor then said he hoped Gabbard received the appointment from Abercrombie. Booker followed up that the Senate needed "some 'new'" as part of his support for the 31-year-old Gabbard.

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 04:14 PM

17. Locking, sorry. The OP article is from Monday, way over the 12 hour time frame for LBN.

Please consider reposting in either GD, Politics2012, etc.

Btw, it was reported yesterday that the Governor will be making his appointment announce today (Wednesday).