HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Newtown observes Christma...

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 10:09 AM

Newtown observes Christmas amid signs of mourning

Source: Associated Press

Newtown observed Christmas amid snow-covered teddy bears, stockings, flowers and candles left in memorial to the 20 children and six educators gunned down at an elementary school just 11 days before the holiday.

The outpouring of support for this community continued through Christmas Eve, with visitors arriving at town hall with offerings of cards, handmade snowflakes and sympathy.

"We know that they'll feel loved. They'll feel that somebody actually cares," said Treyvon Smalls, a 15-year-old from a few towns away who arrived bearing hundreds of cards and paper snowflakes collected from around the state. . .

Read more: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121225/NATION/212250357/1361/Newtown-observes-Christmas-amid-signs-of-mourning

I can't imagine what today is like for those families. Maybe not strictly speaking LBN, but it deserves that prominence.

2 replies, 1215 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Newtown observes Christmas amid signs of mourning (Original post)
Faygo Kid Dec 2012 OP
Dustlawyer Dec 2012 #1
ReRe Dec 2012 #2

Response to Faygo Kid (Original post)

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 10:47 AM

1. There is no greater loss, nor a worse time of the year to suffer that loss!

I lost my 3 1/2 year old on 12/21/1993, and though I can enjoy the Christmas season again, I will always wonder about what might have been. The parents agony, yes agony, will have to run its course. These parents should not have had to suffer, nor these children and brave educators have had to die, just so others can blast away longer w/o reloading, not have to wait long or pass stringent background checks... to get an assault weapon. Maybe we should remove kids from families for a month while they pass a cooling off period to get their AR-15! Just saying! My heart goes out to all of those poor families. You cannot imagine the hell. My marriage did not survive it!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Faygo Kid (Original post)

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 11:01 AM

2. Newtown needs to know that...

K&R

...America is with them today. If you pray, offer up one for God to lighten their load and give them strength as they go forward in life. Amen.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread