HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Nasty weather threatens G...

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 04:54 AM

Nasty weather threatens Gulf Coast for Christmas

Source: AP-Excite

By JANET McCONNAUGHEY

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - Nasty weather, including a chance of strong tornadoes and howling thunderstorms, could be on the way for Christmas Day along the Gulf Coast from east Texas to north Florida.

The storms held off long enough, though, to let Christmas Eve bonfires light the way for Pere Noel along the Mississippi River, officials said.

Farther north, much of Oklahoma and Arkansas were under a winter storm warning, with freezing rain, sleet and snow expected on Christmas. A blizzard watch is out for western Kentucky. And no matter what form the bad weather takes, travel on Tuesday could be dangerous, meteorologists said.

The storms could bring strong tornadoes or winds of more than 75 mph, heavy rain, quarter-sized hail and dangerous lightning in Louisiana and Mississippi, the National Weather Service said. The worst storms are likely from Winnsboro, La., to Jackson and DeKalb, Miss., according to the weather service's Jackson office.

FULL story at link.

Read more: http://apnews.excite.com/article/20121225/DA3CGGF81.html

This NOAA satellite image taken Monday, Dec. 24, 2012 at 01:45 AM EST shows a low pressure system over eastern Canada with a cold front stretching across the central Atlantic Ocean. A low pressure system is moving across the Mississippi Valley into the southeastern United States with areas of rain and scattered thunderstorms. Father north, snow showers are seen over the Mid-West. (AP PHOTO/WEATHER UNDERGROUND)

2 replies, 1668 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Nasty weather threatens Gulf Coast for Christmas (Original post)
Omaha Steve Dec 2012 OP
dipsydoodle Dec 2012 #1
csziggy Dec 2012 #2

Response to Omaha Steve (Original post)

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 05:23 AM

1. Saw that predicted on our tv news here in the UK

Is it common to get tornadoes at the same time as snow ?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Omaha Steve (Original post)

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 09:53 AM

2. Trying to decide right now if Christmas is worth it

We have to drive from Tallahassee to Panama City Florida and back to have Christmas with my husband's family. Driving over won't be too bad but we have to drive back tonight and the weather by then is predicted to be horrible.

I'd just as soon stay home. Only two weeks after my carpal tunnel surgery, my endurance is not great and four hours total in the car, plus who knows how many hours with the family is far more than I have been able to tolerate so far. Add in the aches and pains I get from low pressure systems and even with Vicodin I will not be comfortable.

If my husband wants to go, I'll let him. But I may just stay here and be achy by my self.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread