HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Canada's 'Idle No More' M...

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 08:06 PM

Canada's 'Idle No More' Movement Spreads Like Wildfire Chief Theresa Spence on 14th day of hunger s

Source: Common Dreams

The 'Idle No More' movement, a campaign of grassroots First Nations protests, has spread like wildfire over the past week in response to bills passed by the conservative Canadian government.

First Nations protesters march towards Parliament Hill during a demonstration as part of the spreading 'Idle No More' movement in Ottawa, Canada, December 21, 2012. REUTERS/Chris Wattie Anger to the recently passed C-45, the Harper government omnibus budget bill, has fueled the growing movement.

Bil C-45 includes changes to the Canadian Indian Act regarding how reserve lands are managed, making them easier to develop and be taken away from the First Nation people.

The bill also removes thousands of lakes and streams from the list of federally protected bodies of water. “This is unacceptable. They have made a unilateral decision remove the protection of waterways... Shell Canada has proposed to mine out 21km of the Muskeg River, a river of cultural and biological significance. This ultimately gives the tar sands industry a green light to destroy vital waterways still used by our people," stated Eriel Deranger, Communication Coordinator for the Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation.

Atiwapiskat First Nation Chief Theresa Spence has been on a hunger strike since December 11th, resolved to starve herself to death unless Prime Minister Stephen Harper meets to discuss treaty rights, and Canada’s relationship with its Indigenous peoples. She is currently living in a teepee on Victoria Island, in Ottawa, just a kilometer away from the Parliament buildings. So far, Harper has rejected calls to meet with Spence.

Chief Spence tweeted on Sunday, the 13th day of her hunger strike:

MOAR AT LINK

Read more: http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2012/12/24-1

Let's not forget the almost non stop protests over other Harper policies... Looks like things are about to boil over up there.

12 replies, 3134 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply Canada's 'Idle No More' Movement Spreads Like Wildfire Chief Theresa Spence on 14th day of hunger s (Original post)
Bennyboy Dec 2012 OP
riverbendviewgal Dec 2012 #1
Bennyboy Dec 2012 #2
Posteritatis Dec 2012 #5
riverbendviewgal Dec 2012 #7
Posteritatis Dec 2012 #8
riverbendviewgal Dec 2012 #10
Posteritatis Dec 2012 #12
DonCoquixote Dec 2012 #3
riverbendviewgal Dec 2012 #6
CitizenK9 Dec 2012 #4
OnlinePoker Dec 2012 #9
riverbendviewgal Dec 2012 #11

Response to Bennyboy (Original post)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 08:23 PM

1. harper is evil.

I still don't understand how we gave him a majority.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to riverbendviewgal (Reply #1)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 09:05 PM

2. Voting fraud right?

Isn't that what they are protesting over in a lot of the protests??

Reply to this post

Response to Bennyboy (Reply #2)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 09:25 PM

5. The ones in the article are over something else

But yeah, people are pretty cranky at the voting fraud in the last election. It's the first time something like that was really, large-scale blatant up here - the Conservatives have been making a point of hiring Republican campaign strategists when the GOP isn't using them - and it was probably effective enough to make the difference between a minority government and the majority they have right now.

A lot of that's working its way through the court system at the moment as well. The next election will be ... interesting, one way or another.

Reply to this post

Response to Posteritatis (Reply #5)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 09:32 PM

7. this next election will be another result

Every Canadian I know now knows what Harper's party is..American Republican liars who care for only the rich.

Reply to this post

Response to riverbendviewgal (Reply #7)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 09:34 PM

8. That's what I expect as well

I think Harper knows it too - some of the things pushed through already are bonkers enough that it gives the impression that the Conservatives are racing against the clock, knowing they're not going to get a shot like this again anytime soon.

Heaven knows pretty much nobody who works within a few degrees of separation from Parks or Archives-related isn't going to give them the time of day from now on. Ugh.

Reply to this post

Response to Posteritatis (Reply #8)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 10:03 PM

10. I hope he does not change us like michigan

Or Wisconsin

Reply to this post

Response to riverbendviewgal (Reply #10)

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 07:56 AM

12. Oh, I'm sure he does

To say nothing of the rest of the general social-conservative batshittery the US has a thing for; witness the big prison project he's been pushing because of the secret increased crime rate he keeps talking about, or the yammering about firearms or what he's doing to the Museum of Civilization...

Reply to this post

Response to riverbendviewgal (Reply #1)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 09:06 PM

3. well

I have to confess, I pondered whether or not a parliament would be better than a congress. It seems that while it is diverse, it's main weakness is that it allows people to split themselves up easily, which gives an advantage to the business goons. The big problem is that, as much as I do love Quebec, BQ just refuses to work with ANYONE. It may be time to just go ahead and let them go already, as at least we know they will not be anywhere near as right wing as the Anglican side would be.

Reply to this post

Response to DonCoquixote (Reply #3)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 09:28 PM

6. NO

JACK LAYTON and Pierre Elliott Trudeau on Quebec. We need more leaders like them. I do not want to go the way of the USA.

Reply to this post

Response to Bennyboy (Original post)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 09:20 PM

4. Guardian: Canada's First Nations protest heralds a new alliance

The privatization of Indian lands was also forced in the US about 50 years ago and was called "termination." Bad policy.

In the Guardian article, modern indigenous and progressive Canadian thinking offers a real, promising alternative to the destructive behavior of modern capitalism and colonialism.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/dec/20/canada-first-nations-new-alliance

Excerpts from the above:

The grassroots IdleNoMore movement of aboriginal people offers a more sustainable future for all Canadians.

Canada's placid winter surface has been broken by unprecedented protests by its aboriginal peoples. In just a few weeks, a small campaign launched against the Conservative government's budget bill by four aboriginal women has expanded and transformed into a season of discontent: a cultural and political resurgence.

What remains unspeakable in mainstream politics in Canada was recently uttered, in a moment of rare candour, by former Prime Minister Paul Martin:

"We have never admitted to ourselves that we were, and still are, a colonial power."

But here's the good news. Amidst a hugely popular national movement against tar sands tankers and pipelines that would cross aboriginal territories, Canadians are starting a different narrative: allying with First Nations that have strong legal rights, and a fierce attachment to their lands and waters, may, in fact, offer the surest chance of protecting the environment and climate. Get behind aboriginal communities that have vetoes over unwanted development, and everyone wins. First Nations aren't about to push anyone off the land; they simply want to steward it responsibly.

Reply to this post

Response to CitizenK9 (Reply #4)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 09:35 PM

9. Steward it responsibly? Bull

The richest bands in Canada are those who have resources that can be exploited. And they have allowed that exploitation to happen as long as the band gets their cut. Here on Vancouver Island, most of the bands have little resources on their lands to develop, but they bring in industries like cement plants (on Esquimalt band land) which are noisy, polluting and disruptive to surrounding communities. I would consider them stewards of the land if they would only clean up their own first, but I see wrecked vehicles and unkempt properties littering the local reservations whenever I pass through.

Reply to this post

Response to CitizenK9 (Reply #4)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 10:33 PM

11. great article

I wish Martin would run again. He saved Canada from the bank crises the USA endured. He is a very wise man. Thanks for sending this. I will be sending this on to my Canadian friends.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread