HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Man's rough month include...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 07:04 PM

Man's rough month includes homeowners association fight

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Lasher (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: KMBC

According to court records, Marsala's bank account was garnished five days ago. He said he thinks he owes his homes association about $4,300 in back dues, money it uses to maintain the swimming pool, landscaping and trash pickup.

"I'm not going to deny that I owe them some money," he said.

Marsala said he's an electrical engineer, but his business in the solar industry hasn't been very good for several years. He's also taking care of his granddaughter, Fiona, who was born two years ago with a rare, terminal form of epilepsy.

Marsala said he brought his granddaughter and his daughter, Josephine, home from Las Vegas, just as Josephine's daughter's marriage was breaking up. He said that caring for his grandchild was expensive and draining, and caused him to miss most of the court dates in the homes association dues dispute.

Earlier this month, he got a letter from homes association's lawyer to tell him that the group has obtained a judgment against him and planned to garnish his bank account.

Read more: http://www.kmbc.com/news/kansas-city/Man-s-rough-month-includes-homeowners-association-fight/-/11664182/17890300/-/oavq1g/-/index.html

19 replies, 2164 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 19 replies Author Time Post
Reply Man's rough month includes homeowners association fight (Original post)
pstokely Dec 2012 OP
Ash_F Dec 2012 #1
Control-Z Dec 2012 #3
quakerboy Dec 2012 #4
DURHAM D Dec 2012 #9
Sunlei Dec 2012 #11
Ash_F Dec 2012 #13
DURHAM D Dec 2012 #5
Trillo Dec 2012 #8
KT2000 Dec 2012 #12
George II Dec 2012 #16
Politicub Dec 2012 #18
George II Dec 2012 #2
Ash_F Dec 2012 #14
virgogal Dec 2012 #6
George II Dec 2012 #7
DURHAM D Dec 2012 #10
PasadenaTrudy Dec 2012 #15
jaysunb Dec 2012 #17
Lasher Dec 2012 #19

Response to pstokely (Original post)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 07:14 PM

1. Question: Has anyone ever heard of a good home owners association story?

I haven't.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Ash_F (Reply #1)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 07:20 PM

3. Nope

And there should be laws to protect homeowners.

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 07:33 PM

4. My garbage got picked up last week

And the water keeps coming to my home. The lights in the courtyard come on at night. I guess that counts as a good story. I would imagine most of them are somewhat similar. But why would anyone go running around shouting "I love my HOA". I imagine most of them pay bills for collective services and generally keep up maintenance. That's kinda what they should be for, and its not very exciting.

I wonder if this guy ever spoke to anyone on the hoa board or responded to them in any way. His personal story evokes compassion. But it doesn't sound like he did anything to deal with the situation. Its amazing how many people just stop paying HOA dues, but still expect full use of any benefits.

Response to quakerboy (Reply #4)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 07:43 PM

9. So true -

the insurance on my home is paid up, the landscaping is great, we have a new roof, they added lighting for safety reasons, and the Christmas party was fun.

But you are right - deadbeats think their neighbors should loan them money because that is what is happening when a delinquent owner does not pay their share of the dues.

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 07:51 PM

11. yes, he said he called the lawyer a couple days before his grandkid died.

They told him sorry. It's written in most HOA rules, you don't pay your dues, tickets or the fines for not cutting grass or trash out wrong time (some are daily fines). They will sue and take your assets away. Including the house if there is no bank to garnish.

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 07:59 PM

13. That's all covered by utilitie fees in my area.

Which I take care of myself. Does the HOA manage that for you?

People down thread are citing numbers like 15$ a year and 35$ a month. That doesn't really square with this man owing 4300 dollars. Color me skeptical.

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 07:33 PM

5. Yes - many.

But they don't make the news.

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 07:42 PM

8. Yes, right here on DU!

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=389&topic_id=6831253&mesg_id=6837299

Summary: dues are only $35 per month and they work very hard with indigent homeowners, giving them 6 months grace period before filing (interest applies), but some owners are just "assholes"!

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 07:52 PM

12. Yes - mine is OK

Our dues are $15 a year and we don't get into other peoples' business. We just have to maintain some common space and the covenants which are not too onerous.

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 08:39 PM

16. As an 11-year President of my former association, I have many........hundreds perhaps...

...but also have some horror stories, too.

It's not the association or the management, it's the attitude of the unit owners.

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 09:12 PM

18. Never. Was thrilled to move out of a townhouse into a single family home.

HOAs are a necessary evil but the power goes to some people's heads.

For example, we had our garage door replaced and painted it the original color as defined by the CCRs. The board told us to repaint it to match the faded paint on the garage doors of units around ours. It probably could have been contested, but that was the moment when we knew we had to move. Never have regretted it.

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 07:16 PM

2. This is "Latest Breaking News"?

Response to George II (Reply #2)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 08:08 PM

14. What happened to the DU that used to care about people struggling with medical care and debt? /nt

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 07:40 PM

6. I'm confused. Is he caring for a grandchild or great grandchild? It

says his granddaughter's marriage was breaking up.

Response to virgogal (Reply #6)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 07:41 PM

7. Did I get lost and stumble onto "the Onion"?

Response to virgogal (Reply #6)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 07:44 PM

10. I thought it was just me.

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 08:13 PM

15. I will never ever

buy a condo or townhouse.You spend all that money and all you really own is the air in your rooms. No thanks.

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 09:03 PM

17. I'm sorry I read this post....

because it's Christmas eve and all, and I'm aware that I'm supposed to feel real sorry for this guy...but I don't !

I have a GREAT HOA !
The grounds and pool are maintained weekly. The trash is hauled 3-4 times a week. We painted 2 years ago, and got a new roof 5 years ago. Trees trimmed once a year. Any problem is addressed with a simple phone call to the management office. Fully insured for all liability including earthquake damage. Reserves have 150% of what's required by law,

Cost : $400.00 a month.

Over the years there have been several "deadbeat" owners that enjoy entertaining at the pool and relaxing in the court yard. When prices all around us were dropping, we managed to not slide below the water, benefiting every owner here....including those owing 6 to 7 k in delinquent dues.

It's no fun putting a lien on your neighbors home or suing them in small claims,but some folks just are not responsible people and don't seem to mind mooching off others. And, I'm well aware that people run into trouble from time to time (I surely have) but we try to let our debtors know and work out plans for the future. Ignoring letters from the board or it's lawyers is not the attitude one needs to live in this kind of environment.

Sorry...

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 09:37 PM

19. Locking...

This is an interesting story, but it is not important news of national interest - and therefore inappropriate for LBN. Please consider posting in GD.