HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Afghan policewoman kills ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 06:35 AM

Afghan policewoman kills US adviser in Kabul

Source: AP-Excite

By DENIS D. GRAY

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) - An Afghan policewoman shot and killed an American adviser outside the police headquarters in Kabul on Monday, the latest in a rising tide of insider attacks by Afghans against their foreign allies, senior Afghan officials said.

The woman, identified as Afghan police Sgt. Nargas, had entered a strategic compound in the heart of the capital and shot the adviser with a pistol as he came out of a small shop with articles he had just bought, Kabul Governor Abdul Jabar Taqwa told The Associated Press.

The woman was taken into Afghan custody shortly after the attack.

Earlier, she had asked bystanders where the governor's office was located, the governor said. As many Afghans, the policewoman uses only one name.

FULL story at link.

Read more: http://apnews.excite.com/article/20121224/DA3C3BVO1.html

Afghan policemen watching down from top of the Kabul police headquarters, following the killing of an American advisor in Kabul, Afghanistan, Monday, Dec. 24, 2012. An Afghan policewoman killed an American adviser at the Kabul police headquarters on Monday, a senior Afghan police official said. (AP Photo/Musadeq Sadeq)

14 replies, 2068 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Omaha Steve (Original post)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 10:43 AM

1. they should give her to the taliban and give them a picture of her reading a book

it's shocking how women in some of these countries support their own continued suppression.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to samsingh (Reply #1)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 11:23 AM

2. years of grinding war

compounded with other stresses in a country like Afghanistan. Just as much as Americans, Afghans can "snap" and that possibility should be considered.

Reply to this post

Response to Enrique (Reply #2)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 11:51 AM

3. There is much more we would need to know.

US "advisers" in Occupied countries enjoy a privileged above-the-law existence. Some have taken advantage of that status.
This story SMELLS like a personal problem between these two participants.
The Afghan woman sought one one particular American.
I would like to know more before reaching a conclusion.

I don't have to know more to reach these conclusions:

*The Invasion and Occupation of Afghanistan was NOT a "just WAR".
We only needed Seal Team 6 to "deal" with the international criminals who
were responsible for 9-11.

*Bin Laden is DEAD, and was NOT in Afghanistan.

*A handful of criminals known as Al Qaeda were paying rent to a couple of corrupt regional WarLords to hide in their desert, not the Afghan people.
The US Over Reaction catapulted Al Qaeda into international prominence,
and gave them international credibility.

*What happens in Afghanistan is the responsibility of The Afghans.

*No Americans should BE in a country where they are not welcome.
If we insist on putting Americans in hostile areas,
they WILL be attacked and killed.

Reply to this post

Response to Enrique (Reply #2)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 12:13 PM

4. how many cases do we hear about where mothers kill their daughters in the name of honor in these

countries? (this happens even in Western countries).

Honor can mean anything from not wearing the right clothing, to wanting education, to not wanting to get married to someone 20 years older, and even to instances of reporting that they had been raped.

Reply to this post

Response to samsingh (Reply #4)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 04:18 PM

5. Why should anybody of

Western European descent question something they don't understand, in a Civilization as old as their own? Afghanistan doesn't even have one culture, but is a country of many different cultures. Karzai, is from the Pashtun tribe. Some people even think some of these tribes in Afghanistan were related to the Mongols, that terrorized the Roman Empire and Western Europe. A lot of these tribes are Nomadic and 4/5s of Afghanistan is mountainous. People are trying to bring Western Civilization to a culture that is thousands of years old. That is like trying to tame Genghis Khan. I think it is a joke trying to teach these people how to fight. Fighting is probably in their blood. They are very conniving too. They are probably fighting for the highest bidder.

Reply to this post

Response to John2 (Reply #5)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 04:24 PM

6. for the protection of ladies - our mothers, sisters, daughters and friends

Women are equals and deserve to be respected no mater which country or civilization we're discussing.

Reply to this post

Response to samsingh (Reply #6)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 01:45 AM

12. No nation has ever occupied Afghanistan and won it over or changed its culture.

It is a piece of land occupied by peoples who have never given up to anyone. Every major army that has invaded that part of the world in the last 200 years eventually lost that ground to the local tribesmen who resisted occupation. Even if it were in the name of advancing women's rights, no superpower would long endure watching their armies slowly bleed to death in the mountains of Afghanistan. The war was lost when Bush invaded. The Taliban will simply outlast the US occupation, and Obama seems interested in leaving by 2014 rather than bleed more.

Reply to this post

Response to Selatius (Reply #12)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 10:22 AM

14. i think it also brought the USSR down

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 09:59 PM

7. Of what relevance is your question?

She didn't kill her daughter. She killed an American serving in the occupation of Afghanistan. Whatever her motives, they have nothing to do with the stuff you're talking about.

Reply to this post

Response to JackRiddler (Reply #7)

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 09:56 AM

8. i think you need to put a connect a couple of ideas together to understand what i'm saying

Reply to this post

Response to samsingh (Reply #8)

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 12:49 PM

9. I think you need to stop slinging automatic propaganda.

An Afghan policewoman killed one of the men working for the US occupation of Afghanistan. That's the case. These kinds of acts almost always are blows against the foreign invaders. Surprise, surprise. And rather than discussing the case, you're basically starting in with "Muslims! Bad for women! Taliban! They kill girls!" It's called a distraction.

Reply to this post

Response to JackRiddler (Reply #9)

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 02:17 PM

10. you don't seem to understand the more complex point of making

but i'm okay to make it and leave it at that.

this is no propaganda (total nonsequitar in this case)

Reply to this post

Response to samsingh (Reply #10)

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 02:42 PM

11. Yeah, your stuff is too smart for me.

I just can't get "the more complex point of making"!

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 08:58 AM

13. But his sounds like RAPE or other sexual misconduct

Remember, the shooter did NOT kill another woman, but a man. In most such cases it is over some dispute between them not a third party. I would NOT be surprised that he promised her marriage in exchange for sex, then backed out (and it could be just he said he would marry her, and then never did even if sex was NOT involved). That would be enough for her wanting to kill him. She could not go back to her family and demand that her male relatives kill him (the traditional method of how such disputes are resolved) for none of her male relatives could near him, thus she had to do the job herself.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread