HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Obama attends Inouye memo...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 09:55 PM

Obama attends Inouye memorial in Hawaii

Source: Washington Post

President Obama came to a veterans cemetery here on Sunday to honor the late Sen. Daniel K. Inouye, less as the nation’s top politician and more as a native son of Hawaii paying tribute to his roots.

The president had already formally memorialized Inouye (D-Hawaii), who died last week at age 88 after 50 years in the Senate, on Friday at the National Cathedral in Washington.

But on Sunday, sitting between first lady Michelle Obama and Inouye’s wife, Irene, Obama did not speak. He had no formal role at the ceremony at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific — nicknamed “Punchbowl” for the terrestrial imprint left by volcanic eruptions thousands of years ago.

Yet the moment at the cemetery had enormous emotional resonance for the president, who spent many formative years living with his grandparents in Hawaii. In the space of 90 minutes, he would attend the memorial service of a man who from afar had shaped his political thinking and remember another man who directly shaped his life choices.

Read more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/obama-attends-inouye-memorial-in-hawaii/2012/12/23/73d4ab40-4d4f-11e2-950a-7863a013264b_story.html

3 replies, 1540 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Obama attends Inouye memorial in Hawaii (Original post)
alp227 Dec 2012 OP
jonthebru Dec 2012 #1
Hekate Dec 2012 #2
Cha Dec 2012 #3

Response to alp227 (Original post)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 02:35 AM

1. Note to the "Washington Post."

"Punchbowl," "The National Memorial Cemetery Of The Pacific" is a bit more that a "Veteran's Cemetery."

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to alp227 (Original post)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 02:55 AM

2. I love it when they call POTUS "a native son of Hawai'i". It really means something.

(Of course they left the glottal stop out, but you can't have everything.)

Somehow I knew that Senator Daniel K. Inouye would choose to be buried at Punchbowl, and I'm glad President Obama visited his grandfather's grave there too. It's a comfort to think of them there.

Mahalo and Aloha to my first, and in a sense always, Senator. Thank you for your long service to this nation, and rest in peace in one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Hekate

Reply to this post

Response to Hekate (Reply #2)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 04:50 PM

3. For you, Hekate..

President Obama hugs Irene Hirano Inouye, widow of the late U.S. Senator Daniel Inouye, after she receives the flag that draped his casket at his memorial service, Hawaii, Dec 23

http://theobamadiary.com/

Aloha~

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread