HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Failure of Boehner’s 'Pla...

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 08:09 AM

Failure of Boehner’s 'Plan B' may help unemployment benefits extension

Source: The Hill

Congressional Democrats and the White House could gain some leverage in their push to extend federal unemployment benefits amid a failed attempt by Republicans to pass a separate tax plan.

Advocates argue that their negotiating hand has strengthened in talks to include a yearlong extension of jobless benefits for the long-term unemployed in a year-end deficit-reduction plan following the failure of the House GOP to pass its "Plan B" measure.

Judy Conti, federal advocacy coordinator for the National Employment Law Program, said President Obama's and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's (D-Nev.) positions have improved to include a renewal after Republicans were forced to pull a bill that would have extended tax cuts for those making less than $1 million a year because they could not round up enough votes.

She called the attempt by Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) the "latest round of political theater designed to give Boehner leverage" in the continuing "fiscal cliff" negotiations.

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/economy/274351-failure-of-plan-b-may-increase-chances-of-unemployment-benefits-extension

1 replies, 1579 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Failure of Boehner’s 'Plan B' may help unemployment benefits extension (Original post)
Adenoid_Hynkel Dec 2012 OP
Joanie Baloney Dec 2012 #1

Response to Adenoid_Hynkel (Original post)

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 09:27 AM

1. That is good news

I would hate to lose my house because of Boehner.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread