HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » North Korea could have U....

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 12:41 AM

North Korea could have U.S. within missile range, says South

Source: Reuters

SEOUL - North Korea's rocket launch this month showed it has likely developed technology, long suspected in the West, to fire a warhead more than 10,000 kilometers, South Korean military officials said on Sunday, putting the U.S. West Coast in range.

North Korea said the December 12 launch put a weather satellite in orbit but critics say it was aimed at nurturing the kind of technology needed to mount a nuclear warhead on a long-range missile.

North Korea is banned from testing missile or nuclear technology under U.N. sanctions imposed after its 2006 and 2009 nuclear weapons tests and the U.N. Security Council condemned the launch.

South Korea retrieved and analyzed parts of the first-stage rocket that dropped in the waters off its west coast.

Read more: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/23/us-korea-north-missile-idUSBRE8BM01720121223

20 replies, 3123 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 20 replies Author Time Post
Reply North Korea could have U.S. within missile range, says South (Original post)
UnrepentantLiberal Dec 2012 OP
AtheistCrusader Dec 2012 #1
still_one Dec 2012 #2
bhikkhu Dec 2012 #3
yurbud Dec 2012 #14
Archae Dec 2012 #4
Purveyor Dec 2012 #5
DeSwiss Dec 2012 #6
JohnnyRingo Dec 2012 #7
Alamuti Lotus Dec 2012 #18
Selatius Dec 2012 #19
Ash_F Dec 2012 #20
KeepItReal Dec 2012 #8
daleo Dec 2012 #9
davidpdx Dec 2012 #10
skepticscott Dec 2012 #11
Doc Holliday Dec 2012 #12
skepticscott Dec 2012 #13
defacto7 Dec 2012 #15
Kelvin Mace Dec 2012 #16
LeftyMom Dec 2012 #17

Response to UnrepentantLiberal (Original post)

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 12:45 AM

1. Oh no.

They have one more way of starting a war they cannot possibly win. Same shit, different day.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to AtheistCrusader (Reply #1)

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 01:06 AM

2. Exactly

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 01:09 AM

3. Well, Mutual Assured Destruction then becomes the stabilizing element

...except for the "mutual" part. I can't imagine them stupid enough to be any kind of threat, but I still expect the History channel to beef up its Doomsday programming with an NK scenario or two.

Reply to this post

Response to bhikkhu (Reply #3)

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 12:55 PM

14. since the end of the Cold War, we have had OSHOSAD

"One Side Hurt, One Side Assured Destruction."

We have enough nukes to heat up every square inch of North Korea to a million degrees every day for a month.

DC and the media seem to think that we'll believe real foreigners are like the ones in action movies who wait their whole lives to be killed by us.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 01:09 AM

4. I say bullshit.

Their first long-range missile broke apart.

Thier latest launched a piece of junk.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 01:11 AM

5. LOL. eom

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 02:08 AM

7. What purpose would that serve?

Launching a nuke on anyone, let alone the US, is literal suicide for any leader. The unfortunate citizens of said country may not fare well either.

There isn't the country on the planet that would support or even tolerate another nuclear attack. Even with conventional warheads, the consequences would be dire, deadly, and pointless.

On edit:
This is the country that claimed a few years ago that they developed a supersonic torpedo, and more recently, a unicorn fossil. The scientific community uses them for comedy relief.

Reply to this post

Response to JohnnyRingo (Reply #7)

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 05:54 PM

18. that purpose goes both ways

I believe it is the principle of deterrance at work, not potential aggression on their part: attacking them would be suicide, also. Not entirely sure how to interpret the general strategy otherwise, but that much seems clear enough (if even true).

Reply to this post

Response to JohnnyRingo (Reply #7)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 05:07 AM

19. Developing long-range missile technology really only has one of two purposes.

The nation is trying to gain a military advantage over another nation, or the nation is trying to develop a credible deterrence against attack.

If Saddam Hussein had nuclear warheads and the missile technology to lob those warheads on top of American cities, there wouldn't have been an invasion in 2003.

George W. Bush would've lost several hundred thousand American civilians in such a gambit. Sure, Saddam and Iraq would become the world's largest glass-floored parking lot, but looking at the losses, one would've told Bush such a war wasn't worth it.

Reply to this post

Response to Selatius (Reply #19)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 08:20 AM

20. Indeed, they only went to war because they thought it would take "six weeks tops" /nt

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 03:07 AM

8. So tha-fuck what?

Are they suicidal?

Can they understand the simple math that that *one* nuke launched at the USA = total obliteration of their nation? I'm sure they do.

George W. Bush decided that this part of the Axis of Evil was OK to acquire nukes on his watch. That's all you need to know about how real of a threat North Korea is.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 03:49 AM

9. Oh no!

They might be able to do something the Soviet Union could do 50 years ago. How will we survive?

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 04:08 AM

10. From what I've read, they have only modified the current technology they have

They have not come up with any new technology at this point. I think that will probably be verified by South Korea and the US once the pieces are analyzed. The other thing is that I'm almost certain I've heard the US and/or Japan have Patriot Missiles located in Japan to shoot down any missiles launched by North Korea.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 10:15 AM

11. More dopey scare tactics from a clueless media

On the one hand they say North Korea "has likely developed technology, long suspected in the West, to fire a warhead more than 10,000 kilometers"

And right after that, they write "critics say it was aimed at nurturing the kind of technology needed to mount a nuclear warhead on a long-range missile."

A very big difference between those two. And of course, no explanation at all of why on earth, even if they had such technology ready to launch tomorrow, they would need or wish to do so. Simply saying that the North Korea leadership is crazy and irrational is no explanation at all. They may very well be those things to some extent, but if they were inclined to all-out military attacks of a suicidal nature, they would have launched one against South Korea a long time ago.

Reply to this post

Response to skepticscott (Reply #11)

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 10:45 AM

12. Well, if one wanted to nitpick...

...one could say that the North Koreans did, in fact, launch such an attack a long time ago....over sixty years ago. If one wanted to really nitpick, one could further point out that the resulting conflict is still going on at a reduced volume level and has never been entirely resolved.

NK is a chihuahua among pit bulls. Of course they're yappy.

Reply to this post

Response to Doc Holliday (Reply #12)

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 11:20 AM

13. Well, it's certainly true

that they've inflicted a few pinpricks now and then over the last 60 years, but nothing that would require an all-in response from South Korea and the US. And I think they know very well where that line is, and are not stupid enough to cross it. They'll continue to make just enough noise to let themselves feel relevant, and no more.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 02:00 PM

15. You can't just throw a rocket into space...

then automatically say, "wow, now all we do is strap a nuke on it with duck tape". It doesn't work that way. What they have basically done is make a little bit of space junk. That's more of a problem for satellites than thinking they now have an ICBM.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 03:50 PM

16. Alarmist BS

The chances of NK having any type of missile with a nuclear warhead that could reach the U.S. is right up their with the Pope french kissing Dan Savage.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 04:13 PM

17. If they want more military aid they could just ask.

Because that's the least convincing lie I've heard since my kid told me a stranger broke in and ate all the cookies.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread