HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » UK Government to spy on c...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 08:03 AM

UK Government to spy on computers of the jobless

Source: Daily Telegraph (UK)

Jobseekers will be offered the chance to look for work through the new Universal Jobmatch website, which automatically pairs them up with opportunities that suit their skills after scanning their CVs.

It will also allow employers to search for new workers among the unemployed and send messages inviting them to interviews.

However, their activities may also be tracked using devices known as "cookies", so their Job Centre advisers know how many searches they have been doing and whether they are turning down viable opportunities.

Iain Duncan-Smith, the Work and Pensions Secretary, said the scheme would "revolutionise" the process of looking for work. He said anyone without a job after signing up to the scheme would be lacking "imagination".

Read more: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9757895/Government-to-spy-on-computers-of-the-jobless.html

20 replies, 3016 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 20 replies Author Time Post
Reply UK Government to spy on computers of the jobless (Original post)
T_i_B Dec 2012 OP
hobbit709 Dec 2012 #1
idwiyo Dec 2012 #7
midnight Dec 2012 #2
Riftaxe Dec 2012 #3
Riftaxe Dec 2012 #5
midnight Dec 2012 #11
alcibiades_mystery Dec 2012 #4
Joanie Baloney Dec 2012 #8
marble falls Dec 2012 #13
Joanie Baloney Dec 2012 #17
T_i_B Dec 2012 #18
Tien1985 Dec 2012 #6
muriel_volestrangler Dec 2012 #9
Tien1985 Dec 2012 #12
Celebration Dec 2012 #16
Is That All There Is Dec 2012 #10
greymattermom Dec 2012 #14
RKP5637 Dec 2012 #15
Posteritatis Dec 2012 #19
Prophet 451 Dec 2012 #20

Response to T_i_B (Original post)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 08:08 AM

1. I bet of a lot of the job seekers have plenty of imagination about what should happen to this clown.

And his brilliant statement.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to hobbit709 (Reply #1)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 08:35 AM

7. I can think about few things, that's for sure. May be Anonymous can volunteer for a lesson in

Computer use, privacy and respect for less fortunate.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 08:12 AM

2. Here in America, the hungry have to go to church before they are feed..... These types of schemes

I wouldn't call revolutionary....

Reply to this post

Response to midnight (Reply #2)

Response to midnight (Reply #2)

Response to Riftaxe (Reply #5)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 08:58 AM

11. What on Earth... just the opposite... thought it was obvious how wrong it is to make

hungry people go to church....just to be feed.... But that's is what we do in America.... O my god... my post was removed because it was assumed I'm "fuck the homeless crowd"

Just saw the person who told me I was part of the "fuck the homeless crowd" has had that statement removed.. Thanksó Just a little mix up I guess....

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 08:22 AM

4. ...

"When social rights (unemployment insurance, the minimum wage, healthcare, etc.) are transformed into social debt and private debt, the beneficiaries into debtors whose repayment means adopting prescribed behavior, subjective relations between 'creditor' institutions, which allocate rights, and 'debtors,' who benefit from assistance or services, begin to function in a radically different way, just as Marx foresaw."

"In 'individual monitoring,' one is expected to come clean. Once a month, those on public assistance must talk about themselves (or make a show of themselves) and justify what they are doing with their lives and their time. But even in the case where the recipient resists this invasion of privacy, the violence against his person and his subjectivity, he is no less troubled by the 'work on the self' these institutions oblige him to undertake."

Maurizio Lazzarato, The Making of Indebted Man

Reply to this post

Response to alcibiades_mystery (Reply #4)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 08:35 AM

8. Boy, that quote hits home

I reached the point in my unemployment benefits where I had to go the local EDD office and "justify" my work search efforts. After jumping through several hoops for the opportunity to attend the meeting, I sat down with a counselor who opened with "So, how's your job search going?" Before I knew it, I blurted out a snarky "I'm still unemployed, aren't I?" She patted my hand and said "I sense the frustration in your voice." Well. duh.

Now I know that I am "troubled by 'the work on the self'" that I am obliged to undertake. Makes total sense.

-JB

Reply to this post

Response to Joanie Baloney (Reply #8)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 09:04 AM

13. I fortunately haven't had to jump through hoop in a long long time, but your experiance certainly ..

echoes mine when I did have to perform. I pray the New Year gets you what you need: real work for a real wage.

Reply to this post

Response to marble falls (Reply #13)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 09:44 AM

17. Thank you

That is my hope as well!

Reply to this post

Response to Joanie Baloney (Reply #8)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 03:43 PM

18. I think it needs to be explained at this point...

...How UK Job Seekers Allowance works as UK unemployment benefits already have a degree of monitoring in them, although it's very poorly done.

What the unemployed person has to do is keep a diary of everything they've done to find work over 2 weeks, to be presented at the job centre when they sign on. In all honesty this will almost certainly be given no more then a cursory glance before the benefits are processed & the benefit claimant is told they will be getting their benefits paid into their account next week.

UK Job Centres give the unemployed the "wham bam thank you mam" treatment and do very little to actually help people into work. It's all about ticking boxes for the benefit of some twerp in Whitehall. I don't have experience of the horrors of "workfare" or A4E centres and I don't want to experience those things either.

Dimwit-Smith could have looked at improving the monitoring already inherent to JSA to make it worthwhile for both government and the unemployed but they've chosen this scheme instead, which will almost certainly create for more problems then it solves.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 08:26 AM

6. This isn't new.

Cookies are extremely common, and can be blocked pretty easily, though they may stipulate that cookies must be turned on to use the site.

Still, this really isn't big news. I'll be more surprised to find out that monster and jobs.com haven't been issuing the same technology for several years now. And I'm dead serious. This is a common type of information gathering that has been used for over a decade now.

Reply to this post

Response to Tien1985 (Reply #6)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 08:36 AM

9. The difference is the government can use 'sanctions'

But job advisors are able to impose sanctions such as "mandatory work activity" if they feel the unemployed are not searching hard enough.

Yeah, block the cookies, and they'll say "there's no proof you're searching hard enough".

Reply to this post

Response to muriel_volestrangler (Reply #9)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 08:59 AM

12. I know

Some here will be offended by it, but when I was looking for work, I would have gladly given them the information myself. It makes people accountable to someone--and, sure, that'll anger some. We need to feed and house people who are hungry and homeless, including those who will only be that way until they get back on their feet. I have no problem with being on top of their progress back into productiveness, though. Getting people back to work, when possible, should be just under meeting their physical needs. Lots of people go to career centers to get this type of thing as a service.

I am open to changing my opinion on this, but I don't see why it should be a problem.

Reply to this post

Response to Tien1985 (Reply #12)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 09:39 AM

16. I agree with you

I don't feel that fraud is a huge part of the system, but there is no denying that there are at least some percentage of people that could abuse the system--it angers me, too. The pool of unemployment insurance money is limited. It sucks productivity out of the system to have (albeit only a few) people abusing the system.

A legitimate job searcher shouldn't have an issue with this.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 08:57 AM

10. More Spying

by the British Gov't is a suprise? It has to be a good idea though it is from Europe and everything from Europe is a great idea.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 09:08 AM

14. this assumes one computer per person

Just use an old laptop for job searching and share it will your unemployed friends. Use your good laptop for DU.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 09:30 AM

15. Delete the cookies after each session ... use tools to delete LSO's/Supercookies. n/t

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 05:21 PM

19. Odd, since the UK recently implemented some pretty strict regulation on tracking. (nt)

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 06:50 PM

20. This evil son of a bitch needs to die

I still haven't forgiven him for describing being unemployed as a "sin".

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread