HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » State Department security...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 08:11 PM

State Department security chief leaves post over Benghazi

Last edited Wed Dec 19, 2012, 11:27 PM - Edit history (1)

Source: Reuters

WASHINGTON - Three senior U.S. State Department officials were asked to resign after an official inquiry harshly criticized their offices for failing to provide adequate security at the U.S. mission in Benghazi, Libya, before it came under attack in September, a U.S. official said on Wednesday.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Eric Boswell, the assistant secretary for diplomatic security; one of his deputies, Charlene Lamb; and an unnamed official in the Bureau of Near Eastern Affairs were asked to step down because of the inquiry panel's report, which did not fault Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in connection with the attack.

State Department officials declined to comment on the matter, saying it was a personnel issue. The Associated Press first reported that the three officials had resigned.

An unclassified version of the report released Tuesday by the State Department concluded that the mission was completely unprepared to deal with a September 11 attack that killed U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans.

Read more: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/20/us-usa-benghazi-idUSBRE8BI1G420121220

6 replies, 1386 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply State Department security chief leaves post over Benghazi (Original post)
UnrepentantLiberal Dec 2012 OP
patrice Dec 2012 #1
Comrade Grumpy Dec 2012 #5
patrice Dec 2012 #6
John2 Dec 2012 #2
AAO Dec 2012 #3
azurnoir Dec 2012 #4

Response to UnrepentantLiberal (Original post)

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 08:16 PM

1. But, what about the fact that the CIA was compromised??? nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to patrice (Reply #1)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 04:32 PM

5. And just what was the CIA up to in Benghazi? That's the real unanswered question.

They had, I think, an 11-man team there...to do what? And who did they piss off?

Reply to this post

Response to Comrade Grumpy (Reply #5)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 05:53 PM

6. Yes!! & I was deeply impressed by the fact that several 10s of thousands of Egyptians went into

the streets that night, putatively because of that video which had been on the internet for, what?, 8 months?

Anyway, the Egyptians massed in the streets, for whatever reason (?), did their yelling and chants and the business of what it is that the people DO when they come together in the streets like that and then they went home to supper.

Some of us were up late here on 9/11-12 and someone brought us photos of the Libyans in the streets. It broke my heart!! They were SO sweet and solemn, whole families of them, maybe about 300-400 people total in the pictures that we saw here. About half of them had home-made signs, mostly in whatever their language is, maybe about 4-5 in English and that was the first that I saw that Ambassador Stevens had been killed. The English signs expressed deep sadness and affection for Ambassador Stevens, it's making me cry again, just remembering those dignified men, women, and children trying to communicate with the Arab World and with us about what had just happened to them in their homes!

Since they were scattered throughout the crowd, those Libyans holding the English language signs had been photoshopped to put them together in the picture frame, so English readers on the internet could see the messages, so the DU thread I was in had this long argument over the photoshopping, with several people claiming the whole thing was a hoax. I agreed that the photos had been photoshopped, but was thinking it had been for some practical reason, not dishonesty.

I didn't know much about Ambassador Stevens, but it's obvious what a profound service to humanity people like him provide. His death is so very sad.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 08:26 PM

2. It looks

like a way to put troops on the ground to me. They are very sneaky. the contractors for the CIA were amateurs.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 09:14 PM

3. Move along, now! Nothing to see here! Go about your way! Nothing to see here!!!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread