HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Lord I hope this is not t...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Dec 17, 2012, 09:06 PM

Lord I hope this is not true

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by muriel_volestrangler (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Washington Post

By Paul Kane and Lori Montgomery, Updated: Monday, December 17, 7:27 PM

President Obama and House Speaker John A. Boehner moved close to agreement Monday on a plan to avert the year-end “fiscal cliff,” but they had yet to clear several critical hurdles, including winning the support of wary House Republicans.

Obama and Boehner (R-Ohio) huddled at the White House for 45 minutes Monday morning for their third conversation in the past five days. Later, Boehner met for an hour at the Capitol with his leadership team in advance of a briefing Tuesday morning for the entire House GOP that could be a crucial test of Boehner’s ability to sell the deal.

Administration officials and aides to Boehner declined to comment publicly on the talks. But people in both parties said they continued to make progress as Obama laid out a counteroffer that reduces the amount of new taxes he is demanding to $1.2 trillion over the next decade and concedes a key Republican demand: applying a less-generous measure of inflation to several government programs, including Social Security.

That change would save about $200 billion over the next decade, about two-thirds of it through smaller cost-of-living increases for Social Security beneficiaries. Obama tentatively embraced the change in budget negotiations with Boehner in the summer of 2011. Since then, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) and many other Democrats have rejected it, insisting that the solvency of Social Security be addressed separately from the year-end negotiations

Read more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/obama-boehner-meet-as-debt-talks-intensify/2012/12/17/6b43c24a-4868-11e2-b6f0-e851e741d196_story.html

3 replies, 880 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Lord I hope this is not true (Original post)
wilsonbooks Dec 2012 OP
Skinner Dec 2012 #1
Recursion Dec 2012 #2
muriel_volestrangler Dec 2012 #3

Response to wilsonbooks (Original post)

Mon Dec 17, 2012, 09:07 PM

1. Please edit your title to match the title of the news story.

Thanks.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Dec 17, 2012, 09:08 PM

2. I like Krugman's point on this

Any cuts to SS are a bad idea, but if the cut is the cost of a deal that is better than no deal at all (which so far this only marginally is) then going to the CCPI is the least disastrous way to do it; it's painful to a broad class of people but not as dangerous as increasing the Medicare age.

Mon Dec 17, 2012, 09:11 PM

3. Locking - duplicate thread

of http://www.democraticunderground.com/1014340694 . Please continue discussion there. Thanks.