HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » 5bn illegally taken out ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Dec 17, 2012, 03:36 PM

5bn illegally taken out of Zambia over past decade, says report

Source: the guardian

More than 5bn has been illegally siphoned out of Zambia over 10 years, with most of it ending it up in offshore banks and tax havens, according to a report by financial transparency campaigners.

Washington-based group Global Financial Integrity blamed "crime, corruption and tax evasion" for the loss of $8.8bn (5.4bn) from the resource-rich country.

The lost money, most of which can be traced to multinational copper mining operations, is equivalent to half of Zambia's GDP.

Dev Kar, an economist and co-author of the report, said: "They (big global mining companies) are robbing the opportunities for the countries to advance, it (the money) could have been used to build hospitals and schools, and lift the economy out of poverty."

Kar said it was very difficult to track where the money goes, but said most of it ends up in "offshore banks and tax havens".

Read more: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/dec/17/5bn-illegally-taken-out-zambia-report

2 replies, 847 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply 5bn illegally taken out of Zambia over past decade, says report (Original post)
alp227 Dec 2012 OP
Bossy Monkey Dec 2012 #1
alp227 Dec 2012 #2

Response to alp227 (Original post)

Mon Dec 17, 2012, 06:27 PM

1. Goddammit! You mean I should have answered those emails?!

Sorry, my sympathies to the people of Zambia, and best of luck on tracking the money down.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Bossy Monkey (Reply #1)

Mon Dec 17, 2012, 08:50 PM

2. They're called Nigerian scams, not Zambian scams. ;)

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread