HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Hard-Line Israeli Foreign...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 12:15 PM

Hard-Line Israeli Foreign Minister Is Stepping Down

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by muriel_volestrangler (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: New York Times

JERUSALEM — Facing indictment for breach of trust and fraud, Israel’s foreign minister, Avigdor Lieberman, resigned his post Friday afternoon amid mounting political pressure, upending the campaign landscape five weeks before national elections. Mr. Lieberman, a powerful but polarizing figure, wrote on his Facebook page, “I know that I committed no crime,” but said he was stepping down so “I will be able to put an end to this matter swiftly and without delay and to clear my name completely.”

Mr. Lieberman, who is also a member of Parliament, indicated that he still hoped to compete in the Jan. 22 balloting, suggesting a possible plea bargain. The expected indictment, which prosecutors announced on Thursday, concerns a relatively minor offense compared with a broader case of money laundering and fraud that was dropped after an investigation stretching for more than 12 years.

“I believe that the citizens of the State of Israel are entitled to go to the polling stations after this matter has already been resolved,” Mr. Lieberman’s statement said. If a legal ruling could be made before the elections, “I might continue to serve the State of Israel and the citizens of Israel as part of a strong and united leadership that will cope with the security, political and economic challenges facing the State of Israel.”

Mr. Lieberman, 54, leads the secular, ultranationalist Yisrael Beiteinu party, which last month joined forces with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s Likud Party. A populist immigrant from the former Soviet Union, he was widely considered as a potential successor to Mr. Netanyahu as leader of Israel’s right wing, though his hard line on the Palestinian question, among other issues, alienated many Western allies.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/15/world/middleeast/avigdor-lieberman-israeli-foreign-minister-resigns.html?_r=0

Breathing a sigh of relief- for the moment.

PB

2 replies, 422 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Hard-Line Israeli Foreign Minister Is Stepping Down (Original post)
Poll_Blind Dec 2012 OP
oberliner Dec 2012 #1
muriel_volestrangler Dec 2012 #2

Response to Poll_Blind (Original post)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 12:24 PM

1. Great news!

Thank you for posting.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Poll_Blind (Original post)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 12:27 PM

2. Locking - duplicate thread

of http://www.democraticunderground.com/1014336207 . Please continue discussion there. Thanks.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink