HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Report: House leadership ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:37 PM

Report: House leadership concerned Price will challenge Boehner for Speaker

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by muriel_volestrangler (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: The Hill

Concerns are growing that Rep. Tom Price (R-Ga.) could mount a conservative challenge to Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), according to a new report in the National Review.

The story cites one leadership aide expressing concern that the Georgia lawmaker, who recently lost his bid to become conference chairman, could mount an outside bid for the Speaker's gavel.

“Price is the person we’re all watching,” the aide told the magazine. “We know he’s frustrated, but we don’t know much else.”

While an actual upset is unlikely, some conservatives have voiced frustration with Boehner's willingness to accept increased revenues as part of the "fiscal cliff" negotiations with President Obama.

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/271935-report-house-leadership-concerned-price-will-challenge-boehner-

ROFL! The mainstream media has generally covered for Boehner and portrays his refusal to make any substantive offers beyond back of the napkin talking points as a negotiating ploy. The truth is that Boehner is weak. The moment he considers any deal someone is going to try to over throw him because he is not conservative enough. In the deluded world that the extreme right lives in, a default in our debt and going over the fiscal cliff is a win because Americans will blame the President? Why? Because Fox and Friends says so!

15 replies, 1952 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 15 replies Author Time Post
Reply Report: House leadership concerned Price will challenge Boehner for Speaker (Original post)
TomCADem Dec 2012 OP
beyurslf Dec 2012 #1
DJ13 Dec 2012 #2
ReRe Dec 2012 #3
SoapBox Dec 2012 #11
cyclezealot Dec 2012 #4
Canuckistanian Dec 2012 #5
TomCADem Dec 2012 #13
Bonhomme Richard Dec 2012 #6
TomCADem Dec 2012 #7
MiniMe Dec 2012 #8
Jack Rabbit Dec 2012 #12
slackmaster Dec 2012 #9
Marie Marie Dec 2012 #10
slackmaster Dec 2012 #14
muriel_volestrangler Dec 2012 #15

Response to TomCADem (Original post)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:41 PM

1. I'm ready to go off the cliff. Let the repub eat their own.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to beyurslf (Reply #1)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:43 PM

2. + a Brazilian

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:47 PM

3. Me too...

Ready to go. And it would be a delight to see the wingers in the well of the House brawling and Boehner cry one more time.

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 11:34 PM

11. Pedal to the medal Baby!

Floor it, I say...

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:58 PM

4. Should the goobers keep control of the House.

Its only a matter of time.. The Gobbers only get more radical as time goes by.. Just like DeMint would have one day been Gobber Leader , should he have stayed.. The Repub's keep control , there will come a day when Boehner will seem rational. How could it but not be in our future.. Look at the make up of the Gobber caucus.. Sooner or later their leader will reflect their true nature.

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 10:31 PM

5. Never heard of him

I wonder what the wonderboy Cantor thinks of him.

Response to Canuckistanian (Reply #5)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 11:47 PM

13. Price - "‘There’s Not One Woman’ Who Doesn’t Have Access To Birth Control"

I am sure a Republican House lead by Price would lead to some interesting proposed legislation.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2012/02/10/422862/tom-price-women-birth-control/

Rep. Tom Price (R-GA) shed his usual placid demeanor when discussing birth control for low-income women on Friday, telling ThinkProgress that “not one” woman doesn’t have access to contraception in the United States.

Price, who serves as the fifth ranking Republican in the House, made the comments to ThinkProgress this morning at the Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington, D.C. Like virtually all Republicans in Congress, he opposes the recent Obama administration rule requiring employers and insurers to offer birth control at no cost.

We asked Price, who is a medical doctor by trade, what he would say to low-income women who can’t afford birth control if it’s not covered by their insurance policies. Price responded by denying their very existence. “Bring me one woman who has been left behind,” he demanded. “Bring me one. There’s not one”

Fortunately, the Obama administration has moved to help these women by requiring insurers to provide birth control at no charge, a move that Price vehemently opposes.

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 10:41 PM

6. This is all a ploy to give Boner a little juice...

negotiating with President Obama. "Help me make a deal or they are going to put that guy in as Leader, at least I'm not crazy" kind of thing.

Response to Bonhomme Richard (Reply #6)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 10:48 PM

7. Really? Making Boehner look like an incompetent wuss strenghtens his hand?

I don't buy it. He already has had to toss out some folks out of committee assignments because they keep on voting against bills and bad mouthing him. I personally think the mainstream media has been covering for how crazy and out of touch many Republicans are to keep the American people from reacting with outrage at how irresponsible they are acting. The media is doing its best to portray a false narrative that both parties are equally reasonable and equally at fault. The truth is that Republicans are acting like a crazy cabal in a Lord of the Flies re-make trying to out-crazy each other.

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 11:18 PM

8. Question: if the repukes split their votes

Is it possible that Nancy will win the speaker vote?

Response to MiniMe (Reply #8)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 11:35 PM

12. No

The caucus will take a vote first, Boener will win and then he will be the only name put forward by the caucus.

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 11:20 PM

9. Oh, THAT Prince.

I was hoping...

Response to slackmaster (Reply #9)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 11:24 PM

10. Now that would be interesting.

Response to Marie Marie (Reply #10)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 11:52 PM

14. I'm due to have my eyes checked next month

It's about time.

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 05:44 AM

15. Locking - not Latest Breaking News

This is just The Hill repeating what the speculation in National Review was - which we locked, as speculation rather than news, here:
http://www.democraticunderground.com/1014331347

Also, The Hill quickly made this article redundant with their own article with Price denying it, which you later posted here: http://www.democraticunderground.com/1014331925

I suggest people follow the soap opera in that thread, which does have a quote from someone involved in it, and so can be called 'news'.