HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Obama-GOP Cliff Talks Tak...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 08:42 PM

Obama-GOP Cliff Talks Take Positive Turn

Source: Wall Street Journal

WASHINGTON—Budget negotiations between the White House and Republican House Speaker John Boehner have progressed steadily in recent days, people close to the process said, breathing life into talks that appeared to have stalled.

Both sides still face sizable differences before any agreement might be reached by the end of the year, and talks could well falter again over such controversial issues as taxes and Medicare before any deal is reached.

The people familiar with the matter say talks have taken a marked shift in recent days as staff and leaders have consulted, becoming more "serious." Both sides have agreed to keep details private, according to the people, who declined to detail where new ground was being broken.

Read more: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323339704578171653501931248.html

This sounds significant to me. I suspect Boener has given in on taxes and now the negotiations are on how much entitlements and spending will be cut.

19 replies, 3060 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 19 replies Author Time Post
Reply Obama-GOP Cliff Talks Take Positive Turn (Original post)
DCBob Dec 2012 OP
DJ13 Dec 2012 #1
DCBob Dec 2012 #8
fasttense Dec 2012 #13
DCBob Dec 2012 #14
fasttense Dec 2012 #17
Doctor_J Dec 2012 #18
tartan2 Dec 2012 #16
Liberalynn Dec 2012 #19
Doctor_J Dec 2012 #2
forestpath Dec 2012 #3
HankyDub Dec 2012 #11
John2 Dec 2012 #4
Purveyor Dec 2012 #5
annabanana Dec 2012 #6
DCBob Dec 2012 #9
zbdent Dec 2012 #7
John2 Dec 2012 #10
rt cane Dec 2012 #12
santamargarita Dec 2012 #15

Response to DCBob (Original post)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 08:47 PM

1. .....now the negotiations are on how much entitlements and spending will be cut.

And thats a good thing?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to DJ13 (Reply #1)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 10:26 PM

8. depends how much.

I think we all know its going to have to happen no matter what.

Reply to this post

Response to DCBob (Reply #8)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 08:57 AM

13. No, I don't know my Social Security and Medicare will be cut.

Nor should it, because it in NO WAY affects the deficit. If you did away with Social Security and Medicare today, the federal budget deficit would still be the same. It would not change a nickle.

If Democrats allow Social Security and Medicare to be cut, they will again go back to losing election after election. We did not vote Obama back in just to cut programs we have already paid for.

Reply to this post

Response to fasttense (Reply #13)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 09:47 AM

14. I dont think any deal will affect current recipients.

I think they are focusing on the future and how to slow the growth of entitlement spending.

Reply to this post

Response to DCBob (Reply #14)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 02:51 PM

17. So, how far back are they going to cut?

The people who have paid in for 37 years? The ones who have paid in for 35 years? The ones who have paid in for 30 years? the ones who have paid in for 25 years? How about those who have paid in for 20 years? And none of those people who have been paying for their own and their parent's Social Security and Medicare have added to the deficit. Not a single one.

So why cut any? The uber rich already don't pay in as much as workers do in Social Security taxes. They got their Social Security tax cut with Raygun. So, what are all those rich bast**ds complaining about? It's no skin off their noses if we get what we paid into. And it doesn't add to the deficit. So why cut at all?

It's just one big fat scam so Wall Street can get their hands on the $2 Trillion plus in Social Security money that is waiting for the Baby Boomer's retirement. Greedy rich bast**ds like Pete Peterson who can't stand that the working class might actually get something they paid for.

Reply to this post

Response to fasttense (Reply #17)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 08:32 PM

18. The fact that the apologists are already cheering ANY cuts is disgusting

I thought the consensus before the election was that we would try to pull Obama AWAY from the Repukes. Now the DINOs are cheering his cave-in before it even happens. Absolutely unbelievable

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 02:37 PM

16. I agree with you

and damn sick and tired of the media and politicians calling my social security retirement benefit and Medicare a entitlement. I

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 08:35 PM

19. You said it

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 08:47 PM

2. The Murdock journal is a bunch of right-wing lies

should not be allowed in LBN.

if your opinion, that the president is going to agree to Medicare/SS cuts, is true, he can kiss my pasty white ass good-bye. It's only been 34 days since he kicked Willard's ass. If he's already giving things to Boner there is no hope for any progressive legislation of substance over the next 4 years.

Reply to this post

Response to Doctor_J (Reply #2)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 08:58 PM

3. +1

Reply to this post

Response to Doctor_J (Reply #2)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 10:31 PM

11. +2

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:17 PM

4. Well,

I say use your head when you are dealing with snakes. The Wall Street Journal is known to be pushing the Republican Agenda against Social Security,Medicare and Medicaid. Their editorial board wrote an article, advising the Republicans not to give in to President Obama.

Consider this, the Republicans and their allies don't want to publicly put their spending cuts in writing but wanted a meeting with President Obama behind close doors. This was supposed to be kept secret between both sides. Well, you see a snake in action because guess what, the Wall Street Journal has information which points to Boehner. The Wall Street Journal either knows something or using that meeting, to spit out their propaganda for political advantage to the public. I consider that a break of the agreement and now Presidfent Obama doesn't have to abide to the promise that he gave Boehner. If the circumstances are true, then you don't have to keep your word to a snake.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:31 PM

5. That's odd...AP reporting otherwise...

'Fiscal Cliff': No One Retreating; Talks Seem At Standstill

Source: Associated Press

Updated: Dec 10, 2012 5:33 PM EST
By DAVID ESPO

WASHINGTON (AP) - A year-end deadline approaching, negotiations to avoid an economy-rattling "fiscal cliff" appeared at a standstill Monday. Republicans pressed President Barack Obama to name specific spending cuts he will support, while the White House insisted the GOP agree explicitly to raise tax rates on upper incomes.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1014331660

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:59 PM

6. "Positive" to WHOM?

Sorry

Reply to this post

Response to annabanana (Reply #6)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 10:30 PM

9. I think most would agree..

avoiding sequestration and a agreement on extending tax cuts to the middle class would be a "positive" development.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 10:13 PM

7. When I saw the subject line, I thought ... "for whom?"

and then I saw the source ... and realized ... "for the 1%ers ..."

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 10:31 PM

10. Just keep this in mind,

the Democrats are not stupid. We can add. The senate has over 51 senators in favor of the Democrats. Next Congress, the number is 55. The next Congress in the House, the number will be 201. Just how many Democrats in Congress can President Obama get to raise age limits? They must think President Obama is all there is behind the Dems and they must think the Democrats have no constituents. Do the Republicans really believe the Democrats will commit suicide? They are really dealing with the people elected Obama to office. And the Deal is do as we say or else! So if the Republicans want to deal, then talk to us!

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 11:03 AM

15. I hope our President keeps his promise.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread