HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Obama, Boehner meet to di...

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 04:56 PM

Obama, Boehner meet to discuss 'fiscal cliff'

Source: AP-Excite

By ANNE FLAHERTY

WASHINGTON (AP) - Administration officials say President Barack Obama and House Speaker John Boehner met Sunday at the White House to discuss the ongoing negotiations over the impeding "fiscal cliff."

Spokesmen for both Obama and Boehner said the two men agreed to not release details of the conversation, but emphasized that the lines of communication remain open.

The meeting comes as the White House and Congress try to break an impasse over finding a way to stop a combination of automatic tax increases and spending cuts scheduled to kick in at the beginning of the year.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

FULL story at link.

Read more: http://apnews.excite.com/article/20121209/DA32FV3O2.html

In this Tuesday, Nov. 6. 2012, photo, Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., is surrounded by, from left, his wife Elizabeth, and daughters Emily and Julia, as he speaks to supporters at an election night victory rally at the Cabana Restaurant on Tuesday, Nov. 6, 2012, in Nashville, Tenn.S enate Republicans would probably agree to increased tax rates on the wealthiest Americans if it meant getting a chance to reform massive government entitlement programs like Medicare and Social Security,Corker said Sunday, Dec. 9, 2012. (AP Photo/Mark Zaleski, File)

16 replies, 2556 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Omaha Steve (Original post)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 05:00 PM

1. I hope the reason why they didn't report on the conversation

was because there was none. And there doesn't NEED to be one because THERE IS NO IMPASSE -- Obama is holding all the cards.

I hope that all Obama did was sit back in his chair with his feet on the desk and a smile on his face.

rocktivity

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 05:25 PM

2. This Is Proceeding Along The Lines Expected

Right now we just have to hope that Obama stands fairly firm and I think he will. As I said on Thinkprogress the other day, splitting the difference means Democrats get 80% of what they put on the table and Republicans get 20%. The link supports my reply title.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=view_post&forum=1014&pid=328778

Reply to this post

Response to DallasNE (Reply #2)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 07:29 PM

5. No. Obama gets 98%, and Republicans get 2%.

It's only fair.

The Thugs has been stealing from the middle class and the poor for 32 years. It's time for a reversal of fortune. Republicans will have to learn how to actually debate, and not whine and bitch when they don't get things their way.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 05:34 PM

3. Social Security has nothing to do with the deficit

Reply to this post

Response to Angry Dragon (Reply #3)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 06:31 PM

4. Keep saying that!

Reply to this post

Response to Angry Dragon (Reply #3)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:04 AM

12. +1

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 08:02 PM

6. Remember "Now is not the time to point fingers." and....

"Wall St. did nothing illegal."? Our president said those statements. The roll over is coming. Social Security and medicare are going to take big hits and the pentagon will be untouched by cuts to spending.

Reply to this post

Response to Hotler (Reply #6)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 08:09 PM

8. Be specific with your prediction. When will those cuts occur, and how big will they be?

The prediction you are making has been made here on DU for at least 3 years. Still has not happened.

So please be specific ... If you are so sure, make a concrete prediction, when and how much the cuts will be.

Lacking that, your prediction, like those that have preceded it, is meaningless.

Reply to this post

Response to JoePhilly (Reply #8)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:22 AM

14. You mean like a concrete date and time????? If I could predict that I would be rich.

Do you really think the president is going to find a spine and develop some fight in his second term. My predictions are based on the presidents past performance. Bush/Cheney and crew are still walking around free. Wall St. still walking around free. Single payer didn't last 30-seconds. don't get me wrong. I like Mr. Obama and I voted for him but, he couold have a tad more fight and toughness for me. It wouldn't hurt him to tell the repugs or Wall St. or Boner to go fuck themselvbes at least once.

Reply to this post

Response to Hotler (Reply #14)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:53 AM

15. And DADT was never going to be over turned ... and Obama was never going to

get us out of Iraq.

And after DADT was overturned, the DU prediction was that Obama would slow walk and delay it so that it never really happened.

When did Obama promise to jail Bush and Cheney? I don't recall him promising that. I also don't recall him promising to jail Wall St.

And the PO was never going to pass, the votes on the Democratic side did not exist.

Again ... the prediction that Obama is going to gut Social Security and Medicare have sounded over and over and over here on DU. Your claim that its about to happen is just the latest in a long string.

It was going to be announced in the state of the Union in 2010. Was going to be in his 2010 budget. It was going to happen as part of the 2010 lame duck. Was going to be in his 2011 budget. Was going to happen during the Debt ceiling last summer.

And now, the same predictions are happening again. And when it doesn't happen. The predictors will go quiet for a while. And then pop back up in a few months with the same amorphous predictions.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 08:07 PM

7. Last time Boehner got 98% of everything the GOP wanted.

Bet Boehner gets 99% this time.

Reply to this post

Response to blkmusclmachine (Reply #7)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 09:31 PM

10. Please. Boehner The Great Leader and Master Strategist? Worse Congress Ever.

If this was the case, Boehner would not have had to pull the great purge of Tea Party types who kept on voting against deals that he did make. Boehner also would have been able to pass the Ryan Budget, repeal Obamacare, and enact voucher care. Finally, you would have a Congress that is not the worst in the history when it comes to passing legislation.

Yet, the corporate media still manages to prop up Boehner as a Speaker when it threw Nancy Pelosi under the bus as every opportunity. I would not buy into the media's crush on Speaker Boehner.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 09:27 PM

9. Waste of time, Boehner Has No Pull. Worse...

...regardless of the details of the deal, there is always a Republican waiting to backstab him for merely speaking with the President. Remember conservative columnist David Brooks expressing disbelief that the Republicans were sabotaging any debt deal because they were primarily seeking to weaken the President and score points, rather than actually tryin to reduce the deficit?

Republicans don't care about the deficit. They only care about protecting freebies for the rich and scoring cheap political points against Democrats.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 01:31 AM

11. How many have read 'Shock Doctrine' and understood some of it?

How many of those can't understand that they are being played by both sides, as refereed by the MSM, regarding a "fiscal cliff"? How many can remember that this has happened before? How many enjoy the game?

Reply to this post

Response to delrem (Reply #11)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 10:00 AM

16. The President's

authority came from the people who elected him and not John Boehner or the media pundits in Washington. Of course they want to get him in a closed room so they are the only one's to have access. He needs to keep going out in public when he wants to keep leverage on them. That is the main lesson he should have learned. They will capitulate as long as he continues to appeal to the public. The public is even more behind him on medicare and social security. All he has to do is present his own plans and let the public deal with the Republicans, Wall Street and media pundits.

How can the public exert their power? Blacklist the media and Wall Street. The same way they did Walmart, Papa Johns and Bank of America when they got out of line. I also got an idea for these investors hogging their money. Just invite foreign investors to create jobs in their place with tax incentives to compete with these ass holes if they don't want to create any jobs here. That will teach them a lesson. Get somebody to compete against Sheldon Adelson and invite other companies to fill in against the Koch brothers by excluding them from Government contracts. That will really teach them who is boss. We will just break their monopolization of businesses in this country and open it up for others. tHere are a lot of smaller businesses, that we can give contracts to. Yep, we the people demand this!

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:05 AM

13. "the two men agreed to not release details of the conversation" - lack of transparency is

always a bad sign.

It means the American people wont like what they hear.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread