HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Tea Party Gains Control O...

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 04:44 PM

Tea Party Gains Control Over Republican Policy Incubators

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by pinto (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Bloomberg.com

The Republicans’ anti-tax Tea Party wing, which failed in its goal to defeat President Barack Obama and the Senate Democratic majority, is rising to leadership positions in policy and activist groups that have guided the party’s direction for years.

South Carolina Senator Jim DeMint, who helped insurgent candidates oust incumbent Republicans in primaries, announced yesterday that he will lead the Washington-based Heritage Foundation, a group that has served as an incubator for the party’s policy and legislative ideas for decades.

Last week, former Republican House Majority Leader Dick Armey confirmed his resignation as chairman of FreedomWorks, telling Mother Jones Magazine that the Tea Party activist group was moving in an “unproductive” direction. FreedomWorks president Matt Kibbe, who now fills Armey’s void, will maintain its direction, the group’s spokeswoman said. Kibbe, in interviews and public appearances, refers to himself as part of the “Tea Party.”

The turnover at two of the party’s most influential aligned organizations comes just months after the Cato Institute, another Washington-based organization, settled a legal battle aimed at preventing it from being taken over by David and Charles Koch, industrial billionaires who helped finance an expansion of the Tea Party movement through Americans for Prosperity.

Read more: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-07/tea-party-gins-control-over-republican-policy-incubators.html

These imbeciles only need to win one presidential election to drive this country into the ground. We won this cycle, but I worry about the future.

7 replies, 1030 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Tea Party Gains Control Over Republican Policy Incubators (Original post)
NeoConsSuck Dec 2012 OP
Dont call me Shirley Dec 2012 #1
Cognitive_Resonance Dec 2012 #2
janx Dec 2012 #4
janx Dec 2012 #3
bemildred Dec 2012 #5
John2 Dec 2012 #6
pinto Dec 2012 #7

Response to NeoConsSuck (Original post)

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 04:46 PM

1. Another gop quittypants

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 04:49 PM

2. Tea Party nuts are now the brain trust for the Republican Party. The GOP is cooked. nt

Response to Cognitive_Resonance (Reply #2)

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 05:00 PM

4. I've never seen a major party in such complete disarray.

Never.

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 04:52 PM

3. The Republican party is sinking.

And this is due in large part to the Tea Party types. So I wouldn't worry if I were you.

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 05:03 PM

5. They will hide in the think tanks, lick their wounds, and plot anew.

Not the first time, or the second either.

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 05:08 PM

6. I disagree,

because the Republican Party is one of two major Political Parties in this country. If you allow, extremist right wing groups to take over a major Political Party, that is no different, than extremist Parties in other countries, such as the Muslim Brotherhood. That would be a dangerous turn of events in this country. When you got wealthy individuals, owning large industries in the media and economy of a Democratic country, that is dangerous for a Democracy. Just look at how dysfunctional Congress has become. Many of their members, already take marching orders from people such as Sheldon Adelson, Rupert Murdoch and the Koch brothers. And look at what they are doing in certain states to get control of legislatures.

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 05:11 PM

7. Hi. Great political analysis piece. Just doesn't meet Late Breaking News guidelines. Locking.

A good one for Politics 2012, Good Reads, GD if you'd like to re-post.

Thanks ~ pinto, for the LBN hosts