HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Violence intensifies arou...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 06:58 PM

Violence intensifies around Syrian capital

Source: AP

Violence has intensified around Damascus, the Syrian capital, amid reports of shelling by government forces on rebel controlled towns and fierce street fighting.

President Bashar al-Assad forces shelled the towns of Douma and Zabadani to the northeast of the capital and the town of Moadamiyet al-Sham to the southwest, official and activist sources said on Thursday.

Battles reportedly continued near Damascus International Airport. Activists told Al Jazeera that the main road to the airport has been cut off at several instances when clashes had intensified.

Activists also said fighting was raging near Akraba Military Airport, located near the main road leading to the international airport.

Read more: http://aje.me/WLZxx1

2 replies, 1043 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Violence intensifies around Syrian capital (Original post)
UnrepentantLiberal Dec 2012 OP
UnrepentantLiberal Dec 2012 #1
Alamuti Lotus Dec 2012 #2

Response to UnrepentantLiberal (Original post)

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 07:45 PM

1. Syria's endgame in sight as rebels advance

By Ashley Fantz and Joe Sterling
CNN
Dec 6, 2012

-snip-

They have seized control of key oil fields and territory in important areas of the north. They have audaciously fired on the Damascus airport and downed several military aircraft.

Rebels pounced on a key Air Force headquarters outside the northern city of Aleppo, seizing a large cache of weapons, and leaving the regime so desperate it bombed its own bases to prevent the rebels from getting any more.

It was another blow to Syria's army, which experts say is spent, stretched thin by desertions and defections.

Syrian rebels in Damascus say they are more organized, better armed with heavy weaponry, and ready to "cleanse Syria" of government forces, Free Syrian Army spokesman Abu Qutada told CNN.

He said the rebels have "started the ending battle" of the war.

More: http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/06/world/syria-turning-point/index.html?c=homepage-t&page=0

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to UnrepentantLiberal (Reply #1)

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 08:03 PM

2. "the endgame is in sight" has been the headline for about the last year..

the advance of Jabhat an-Nusra and other terrorist formations is actually a bit more spotty than it is made out to be. The high-profile attacks on military bases and airfields have been more 'hit and run' as opposed to any territory actually being taken. They have also been incurring far stronger popular resistance to their activities--(people who don't support the government or the foreign-backed terrorist opposition)--as of late. Resentment to the foreign jihadi forces (financed by Qatar and Saudi Arabia and directed into Syria by the Turkish gov't and American allies in Lebanon, mentioned below) is growing at about the same rate as resentment to the gov't.

Related to the matter, there is a very real scandal erupting in Lebanon at the moment. The "Future" movement (umbrella party of the forces loyal to Rafiq Hariri's bank account) has been busted for supporting the terrorist gangs. This is a political party that is the top US ally in the country and is known for being composed of many radical, fundamentalist MPs that get a pass for their very real ties to al-Qa'idah because they are opposed to Hizbu'llah, advance Saudi/Qatari interests, and collaborate with Israel. Future Movement member of parliament Okab Sakr has been caught on tape not only discussing arms shipments, but in "directing traffic", so to speak, for Lebanon-based fighters in the terrorist gangs. The recent defeat of a small group of Lebanon-based rebel forces--(salafi recruits mainly from Tripoli, armed and directed by the support network of some self-styled "Emirate" in the Salafi militant stronghold in Homs)--at Tal Kalakh near the border has placed a strong exclamation point on the coverage. Since the Future Movement is essentially an extension of the office of the US & Saudi Ambassadors in Beirut, there has been little, if any, coverage of this scandal in papers like CNN or anyone else paid great sums of money to not report on certain uncomfortable matters for US/Saudi interests.

As an aside, I always get nervous when I hear armed spokesbots talking about "cleansing" anything. They just attacked a school in Damascus yesterday and executed a few more "shabiheh", I notice that no State Department spokesman was too terribly concerned by those moves. There were no headlines in the New York Post for the execution of those alleged collaborators, and the only bits I read in the New York Times about the matter contained passive justifications.

For further reference on what I briefly mention:
Sakr Shakes the Future Movement: Heroism or Entanglement?
What Really Happened in Tal Kalakh?
Lebanon: Tal Kalakh Ambush Rocks Tripoli
What are Western Diplomats Telling March 14?
Hariri and Sakr Caught Red-Handed
Exclusive: Inside Future Movement's Syria Arms Trade
Jihadists answer the call in Syria

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread