HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Transsexual Gabrielle Lud...

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 09:25 PM

Transsexual Gabrielle Ludwig returns to college court

Source: USA Today

Beneath the foggy mirror in a makeshift locker room no bigger than a storage closet sit 11 women, their wide eyes affixed to an overdressed basketball coach who is delivering a pregame speech that is equal parts inspiration and four-letter words.

The scene plays out at colleges across the country each night, but on this rainy evening inside a dimly lit Bay Area junior college gymnasium, it serves as prelude to a debut unlike any other in the sport's history.

When the focus of the 12-minute pep talk pivots to this topic, the eyes of 10 18- to 20-year-old women ?? including one deaf player and another woman a few inches shy of 5-feet ?? focus on the one Mission College player who has yet to play this season. There near the door sits the oldest (50 years old), tallest (6-feet-6, 230 pounds) and most muscular person in the room: Gabrielle Ludwig.

"Come out and be Gabrielle the player," head coach Corey Cafferata tells her. "You worked hard to get here. This damn team in here, everyone has your back!"

Read more: http://news.cincinnati.com/usatoday/article/1744703&usatref=sportsmod?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CSports%7Cp

I know it's sports, but it has broader meaning, IMO.

4 replies, 1813 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Transsexual Gabrielle Ludwig returns to college court (Original post)
michigandem58 Dec 2012 OP
Ash_F Dec 2012 #1
s-cubed Dec 2012 #2
wordpix Dec 2012 #3
sarchasm Dec 2012 #4

Response to michigandem58 (Original post)

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 01:25 AM

1. Great story. Thanks for sharing.

"If the example I can set for the kids who are transgenders in high school, for the people who hate transgender people and for those learning to deal with transgenders, transsexuals, if they see me as a normal person and we are not the bogeyman and love life and raise kids just like you," Ludwig says, "maybe some of this mystery of who these people are will be taken away and there can be more blending into society. People are afraid of what they don't know. I am willing to put myself out there. It was not like that before. It was just about playing basketball. It's about more because I see an injustice."

Sage words.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 08:45 AM

2. I had a transsexual employee once.

This is a great story that explains some of the pain they go through. And the relief when they can be themselves.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 08:52 AM

3. thanks for sharing and glad she found herself

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 09:25 AM

4. broader meaning?

please explain.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread