HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Southern California ports...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 09:42 AM

Southern California ports reopen as shipping clerks reach deal

Source: AP

LOS ANGELES - Clerical workers and longshoremen at the nation's largest port complex will return to work Wednesday, eight days after they walked out in a crippling strike that prevented shippers from delivering billions of dollars in cargo across the country.

"I'm really pleased to tell all of you that my 10,000 longshore workers in the ports of LA and Long Beach are going to start moving cargo on these ships," said Ray Familathe, vice president of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union. "We're going to get cargo moved throughout the supply chain and the country and get everybody those that they're looking for in those stores."

Negotiators reached a tentative agreement to end the strike late Tuesday, less than two hours after federal mediators arrived from Washington, D.C. No details about the terms of the deal were released, though a statement from the workers' union said it had won new protections preventing jobs from being outsourced.

Days of negotiations that included all-night bargaining sessions suddenly went from a stalemate to big leaps of progress by Tuesday. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said the sides were already prepared to take a vote when the mediators arrived.

At issue during the lengthy negotiations was the union's contention that terminal operators wanted to outsource future clerical jobs out of state and overseas an allegation the shippers denied.

Read more: http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2012/1205/Southern-California-ports-reopen-as-shipping-clerks-reach-deal

3 replies, 1207 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Southern California ports reopen as shipping clerks reach deal (Original post)
UnrepentantLiberal Dec 2012 OP
JayhawkSD Dec 2012 #1
rocktivity Dec 2012 #2
struggle4progress Dec 2012 #3

Response to UnrepentantLiberal (Original post)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 10:42 AM

1. There's a problem with knowing how to evaluate this story.

On the bright side is that the related union assisted by honoring the picket line and making the strike effective. That is the kind of utilization of the power of workers that has been missing for too long, and that I have been advocating for more than a year. Enough of this "we need a constitutional amendment" crap. We need to quit waiting for the government to do for us what we are unwilling to do for ourselves. Clearly, we have that power when we have the determination and courage to use it. This has been a heartening event.

Less heartening is the crappy reporting that leaves the issue so murky. "...the union's contention that terminal operators wanted to outsource future clerical jobs out of state and overseas an allegation the shippers denied. Shippers said they wanted the flexibility not to fill jobs that were no longer needed as clerks quit or retired. They said they promised the current clerks lifetime employment."

Clearly one side is fundamentally misrepresented in that inadequate presentation of the dispute. I'm sure many liberals are quite happy to assume that the workers' side is accurate and that the reporter is lying like a rug about the shippers, but I'm not sure that it is that simple at all. I would like to have a clearer picture of what the dispute was actually about.

Be that as it may, this is the first time that workers have united to exercise power in a meaningful way in a long time, and I am much heartened by it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 11:17 AM

2. CUE THE VONAGE THEME!

Though it's kind of odd how little national press coverage this got -- or is it?

rocktivity

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 12:50 PM

3. LA ports reopening after crippling strike

By JOHN ROGERS, Associated Press
Updated 8:17 a.m., Wednesday, December 5, 2012

... Gates at 10 closed terminals reopened, and dockworkers were ready to resume loading and unloading at least 13 cargo ships that were stuck for days at docks or in the harbors, Los Angeles port spokesman Phillip Sanfield said ...

Television reports showed huge cargo vessels moving into port, and a line of trucks waiting to enter a terminal.

Clerical workers who said that shippers were offshoring their jobs struck on Nov. 27 and thousands of dockworkers in the same union refused to cross picket lines, paralyzing much of the ports complex that handles 44 percent of all containerized cargo that arrives by sea nationwide, such as cars from Japan and computers from China.

Negotiators reached a tentative agreement to end the strike late Tuesday, less than two hours after federal mediators arrived from Washington, D.C. No details about the terms of the deal had been released by early Wednesday, though a statement from the workers' union said it had won new protections preventing jobs from being outsourced ...

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/us/article/LA-ports-reopening-after-crippling-strike-4091869.php

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread