HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Snow traps drivers for da...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 01:39 PM

Snow traps drivers for days in giant Russia traffic jam

Source: Reuters

Thousands of trucks and cars have been stuck on a major highway, some for more than two days, in a traffic jam dozens of kilometers long caused by heavy snow northwest of Moscow, Russian media reported on Sunday.

Police in the Tver region said field kitchens were operating on the road, but many drivers complained supplies never reached them and they were running out of gasoline to keep their engines running and heating on in subzero temperatures.

"Drivers help one another and that's it, the problems are on the side of the authorities, there are no gasoline tankers, no water, nothing, we are just stuck here," a truck driver who identified himself as Sergei told Rossiya 24 TV channel.

Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev dispatched Transport Minister Maxim Sokolov to Tver on Sunday for a meeting on the situation, and Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin was ordered to report to Medvedev on Monday on measures to end the jam and help stranded motorists, Medvedev's spokeswoman said. Reports put the length of the traffic jam at between 40 km and 200 km (120 miles) at different times on Sunday. One man told the state broadcaster he had advanced one kilometer over the previous 24 hours.

Read more: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/02/us-russia-traffic-idUSBRE8B10BD20121202

11 replies, 3492 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Bosonic (Original post)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 04:04 PM

1. And when they get home, just like here, it will be "Did you remember to get milk?" n/t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 06:05 PM

2. PA had the same type of storm in 2007

Pa. Highway Backup Now More Than a Day Long

As night fell in Pennsylvania, authorities raced against the darkness and plunging temperatures to unsnarl a 50-mile traffic backup triggered by disabled tractor-trailers before slush turned back to ice and a disaster that had already lasted more than 24 hours continued into a second day.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=2877708#.ULvamoa6aZc
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSshr0wt8lfav4WCGClsymYJNYaLZSp9ZpHpX2ujvmAi_y8rdmr

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 06:21 PM

3. It happened in Buffalo after the road was blocked by jackknifed tractor trailers, then

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 09:33 AM

4. CALIFORNIA - INTERSTATE 80 - DONNER PASS

Every ten years the Donner pass is closed because of snow. This major freeway which rises to 8000 feet has so much snow that it can not be kept open even though California has the equipment to keep the freeway open.

California drivers have more snow chains than other states even though this is the sun shine state.

Reply to this post

Response to ROBROX (Reply #4)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 10:40 AM

5. Call me when there's enough snow to stop a train.

The Case of the Stranded Streamliner - "The City of San Francisco"

Stranded streamliner

I have that issue of "Trains," by the way. There are several interesting web sites about this incident.

Reply to this post

Response to ROBROX (Reply #4)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 07:33 PM

10. Florida is the Sunshine State, not California

and Donner Summit is one of the snowiest parts of the USA.

Caltrans closes the road not because of snow, usually, but because of accidents, which is occurring too frequently on this mountain highway, make passage dangerous and also get in the way of snow clearing operations.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 10:56 AM

6. I guess they should have looked at the weather forecast.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 11:20 AM

7. I'm trying to figure out why Russians, of all people, were not prepared for heavy snowfall.

Help me out here...

Reply to this post

Response to Aristus (Reply #7)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 01:32 PM

8. Being prepared for heavy snow will not prevent traffic jams

People still have accidents and block the roads

Reply to this post

Response to Aristus (Reply #7)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 07:10 PM

9. There are some pretty crazy drivers in Russia

YouTube is full of videos of Russian drivers driving way too fast for conditions on snowy roads and ending up starting a catastrophic accident that will block the traffic behind them.

Also, I have heard that snow chains are not allowed on Russian roads because they damage the pavement, so even careful drivers might end up "slip-sliding away" into a major accident.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 07:40 PM

11. NJ's Highway of Snow, Ice, and Stranded Motorists (Route 18 Monmouth Country, helicopter rescues)

New Jersey State Police Urban Search and Rescue units were back in the air Tuesday morning, ready to rappel down ropes to rescue any stranded motorists they could find on a long stretch of rural Route 18 in Monmouth County.

By 3 a.m. Tuesday morning, ground-based National Guardsmen in Humvees, local police in 4x4's and on snowmobiles had rescued "at least 11 motorists" according to State Police Sgt. Stephen Jones

One who survived some ten hours overnight Sunday was Paul Henriques of Union Township, N.J.
"I had to walk up an exit ramp to find a policeman to come and get my two buddies," Henriques told NBCNewYork. He got stuck Sunday night, during the worst of the blizzard

It was, in effect, New Jersey's Highway of Snow--unplowed, or not plowed enough on Monday--the day after the same blizzard that paralyzed neighborhoods of New York City and [link:http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/New-Jerseys-Highway-of-Snowand-Ice-and-Stranded-Motorists-112559424.html|

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread