HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » West Point chapel hosts i...

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 03:52 PM

West Point chapel hosts its first same-sex wedding

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by muriel_volestrangler (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: AP

BY ASSOCIATED PRESS

WEST POINT, N.Y. (AP) — Cadet Chapel, the landmark gothic church that is a center for spiritual life at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, was hosting its first same-sex wedding Saturday.

Penelope Gnesin and Brenda Sue Fulton, a West Point graduate, were exchanging vows in the regal church in an afternoon ceremony attended by around 250 guests and conducted by a senior Army chaplain.

The two have been together for 17 years. They had a civil commitment ceremony that didn’t carry any legal force in 1999 but had long hoped to formally tie the knot. The way was cleared last year, when New York legalized same-sex marriage and President Barack Obama lifted the “Don’t ask, don’t tell,” policy prohibiting openly gay people from serving in the military.

The brides both live in New Jersey and would have preferred to have the wedding there, but the state doesn’t allow gay marriage.

“We just couldn’t wait any longer,” Fulton told The Associated Press in a phone interview Saturday.

Cadet Chapel, she said, was a more-than-adequate second choice.

-snip-

Read more: http://www.salon.com/2012/12/01/west_point_chapel_hosts_its_first_same_sex_wedding/

8 replies, 1093 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply West Point chapel hosts its first same-sex wedding (Original post)
DonViejo Dec 2012 OP
broadcaster75201 Dec 2012 #1
JustABozoOnThisBus Dec 2012 #2
Joey Liberal Dec 2012 #3
excringency Dec 2012 #4
excringency Dec 2012 #6
Helen Reddy Dec 2012 #5
ReasonsVoice Dec 2012 #7
muriel_volestrangler Dec 2012 #8

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 04:17 PM

1. That explosion you heard ....

The Freeper's server blowing up at the news.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 04:22 PM

2. A rainbow just appeared in the "long gray line"

... wishing them all the best.

Response to JustABozoOnThisBus (Reply #2)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 04:29 PM

3. Great line

Nice to see West Point being progressive. Most of their grads are not.

Response to Joey Liberal (Reply #3)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 04:44 PM

4. GIve them a generation

and many of their members might be. The services integrated in the late 1940s and saw an expansion of opportunities for women in the 1980s (remember Congresswoman Pat Schroeder?) Of course it was nowhere near perfect in advancing equality, but there is one difference between it and the rest of society. That is, in the military you don't have to like something, you just have to do it. Going against the orders (and eventually the spirit of the orders) will mean disciplinary action. Eventually the organization moves more toward the light as older leadership retires and dies off. My son-in-law told me they received their first openly gay Marine in their unit. At first it was a big deal, but after he did his job well the rest of the boys (homophobes included) didn't see it as a big deal any longer. Here's to hoping.

Response to excringency (Reply #4)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 04:45 PM

6. Here's a link that

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 04:44 PM

5. Yay!

Very happy for these two brides.

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 04:55 PM

7. About time

Well, it's great to see that we are adopting this principle. I've supported it for a while, well...mainly since my friend came out gay. Granted, I won't jump up and down, just because I'm not like that.

The thing that bothers me about this whole thing is that, while civil union doesn't sound special enough, or it doesn't seem right to call it that, we can't exactly call it marriage can we? After all, marriage is a RELIGIOUS union, which the Christian churches are against. The government has no right to force that upon them. So therefore, we need to find some other idea.

You must agree that marriage in of itself is religious, right? Seriously, it was performed in a church here!

Once again, not against gay unions, but just thinking about this. We have always said government has no place in religion, yet we just did that. It doesn't seem right.

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 05:33 PM

8. Locking - duplicate thread

of http://www.democraticunderground.com/1014322853 . Please continue discussion there. Thanks.