HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Genetically Modified Seed...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 04:36 PM

Genetically Modified Seed Giant DuPont to Unleash Seed Police

Source: Common Dreams

Published on Friday, November 30, 2012 by Common Dreams

Genetically Modified Seed Giant DuPont to Unleash Seed Police

DuPont will use seed security firm to monitor if farmers have saved Roundup Ready soybeans

- Common Dreams staff

Agricultural behemoth and genetically modified seed maker Dupont is preparing to send out former police officers as "soybean police" to enforce its seed patents.

As Monsanto has done in the past, DuPont will be looking for evidence that farmers have saved and replanted its Roundup Ready soybean seeds, a practice that violates that company's contract.

Bloomberg reports that Dupont has hired Saskatoon, Saskatchewan-based Agro Protection International to do the policing, a company which conducts farm visits to determine "appropriate usage" of seeds and to create deterrence of illegally using their client's products, the company explains.

Critics see the move as more evidence of corporate control over agriculture.

"Farmers are never going to get cheap access to these genetically engineered varieties," Bloomberg quotes Charles Benbrook, a research professor at Washington State University’s Center for Sustaining Agriculture and Natural Resources, as saying. "The biotech industry has trumped the legitimate economic interests of the farmer again by raising the ante on intellectual property."

Read more: http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2012/11/30-7

17 replies, 3963 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 05:04 PM

1. dupont and monsanto are the real terrorists in this world.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 05:15 PM

2. jeez how I hate these fuckers...

the "original thinking" on US Patent Law was that you couldn't patent Life or Living Systems. If you bred a better cow (Genetic Engineering), and then SOLD that cow, guess what? The guy you sold that cow to could make MORE better cows, and didn't owe you a damn red cent (because he paid for the ORIGINAL better cow). And if you didn't want anyone else to HAVE your better cows, you didn't SELL them.

The current incarnation of this idea is that there is an End-User Liscence Agreement involved in buying crop seed; You don't actually buy the SEED, you RENT the right to grow the plant. It's bullshit, and everyone knows it (accept, apparently, the US Supreme Court--thanks for that, BWT, we really appreciate it).

Constitutional corporate Non-Personhood makes ALL this kind of nonsense go away.

Reply to this post

Response to Volaris (Reply #2)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 07:18 PM

4. This nonsense gives patent law a bad name

SCOTUS should use contract law to interpret the "rentals" as sales, thereby ending this nonsense. Monsanto's gestapo tactics are overt undue influence, not to mention the grossly unequal bargaining power. It's a disgrace.

Reply to this post

Response to Volaris (Reply #2)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 08:30 PM

5. And what the heck can we do about the Supreme Court?

The sloganeering about Kagen being a woman and Sotomayor being latina - well, guess what. Those two women are totally in support of Monsanto.

So how do we get things to change? This year, both the "R" and the "D" candidates running for the Highest Office supported Monsanto... What in the world has happened wherein major changes are made to our way of life, and there aren't any possibilities of stopping the changes?

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 05:32 PM

3. Farmers should boycot and use only open market seeds.

I know cross breeding is a huge problem, but perhaps they could find a supplier that can sell uninfected seed for a few years to make a difference in Monsanto and DuPont's bottom line.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 11:12 PM

6. What agriculturists need to do is....

...come up with seeds of their own that attack the GMO seeds, as if they were weeds. No, I guess that's further contamination of our food supply. Bizarro world....that's what vulture capitalism has created on this earth. Who was the president who signed the legislation allowing GMOs? Was Congressman Glick in on the deal? I know, I need to read up on the issue...
All I know is it's not right to disallow farmers to keep their seed. Farmers have been propagating their own seed for millenniums.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 11:14 PM

7. Dupont executives should be tried & imprisoned for contaminating the planet with this crap.

Reply to this post

Response to Faryn Balyncd (Reply #7)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 12:06 AM

9. +1,000 to what you said!

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 11:17 PM

8. How the hell can someone in their right mind grant a patent

on living things? Seriously?

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 12:14 AM

10. Why can't the farmer bill Monsanto if their heirlooms are contaminated/ if they did buy seed from

Monsanto, why not bill them for their costs in bringing them to germination?

Such as, water, minerals in the ground, labor, machinery, fuel, transport, etc.?

Why not use their own thinking patterns against the patent owners?

I don't have a lot of sympathy for those who signed these contracts, unless they were fooled like the farmers in India. But the issue before was that the patent seed had contaminated the seed the farmers did own themselves. That has been documented in Canadian cases.

Overall, this is fundamentally immoral and against the future of life on this planet. It is wrong to cut off the advantage of life for profit. Biological reproductive abundance, not being restricted to the market and profits, is the secret of life on this planet. This is wrong.

Reply to this post

Response to freshwest (Reply #10)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 07:43 AM

16. I think....

a test case would probably involve a farmer suing another farmer. I can see Monsanto saying they have no responsibility for what is done with their seeds once they are purchased. Unfortunately, I think lawsuits make more sense against a farmer who plants GMO seed and doesn't take appropriate steps (if there were any) to keep the crops of his non-GMO neighbors from being contaminated.

Monsanto's pockets are very deep and suing them takes more resources than many small farmers have

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 12:46 AM

11. Be on the lookout for guys that look like this...

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 02:25 AM

12. This is Sick. And, it's questioned why so many support

Organic Farmers.

I saw some good news regarding GMO on here the other week!..

"Kaiser Permanente advises its customers against GMOs"

It has come to our attention that Kaiser Permanente, the largest managed healthcare organization in the United States, has advised its members against GMOs (genetically modified organisms) in food.

In its Northwest Fall 2012 newsletter, Kaiser suggested membership limit exposure to genetically modified organisms.

“GMOs have been added to our food supply since 1994, but most people don’t know it because the United States does not require labeling of GMOs,” according to the newsletter.

Sounding like a radical organic health proponent, the huge corporate Kaiser continued, “Despite what the biotech industry might say, there is little research on the long-term effects of GMOs on human health.”

Independent studies have shown GMOs to cause organ damage in rats and the inability to reproduce. Kaiser gave tips on how its members can avoid GMOs, including buying organic, looking for the “Non-GMO Project Verified” seal and to download the “ShopNoGMO” app.

http://occupy-monsanto.com/kaiser-permanente-advises-its-customers-against-gmos/

Thanks Judi Lynn

Reply to this post

Response to Cha (Reply #12)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 07:39 AM

15. Don't know how they stack up as an insurance company....

but KP has been a very strong supporter of local food systems, organic and sustainable agriculture and healthy eating for some time in this area. They are the major sponsor of the 2013 Georgia Organics annual conference. And they have made a rolling van with Doc Broc and other characters who teach folks about healthy eating available to any farmers market that wanted them to show up.

Reply to this post

Response to BronxBoy (Reply #15)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 05:07 PM

17. Good to know!..thanks BronxBoy..

"Doc Broc".. I love it!

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 03:14 AM

13. DuPont - failing to understand how marketing and public opinion works

This is only going to make proposals to label products as GM-products MORE likely

Keep it up DuPont - you're doin' a heckuva job

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 06:11 AM

14. Ag Fascism, Inc. (R)

is marching onto your kitchen table...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread