HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Obama will send season's ...

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 11:39 AM

Obama will send season's greetings to Republicans from toy factory

Source: Los Angeles Times

WASHINGTON – President Obama heads to a toy factory in Pennsylvania on Friday with a Christmastime message for Republicans: Extend the middle-class tax cuts or risk hurting businesses such as The Rodon Group, the maker of Tinkertoy and Angry Birds building sets.

With Obama’s televised trek to the factory floor in Hatfield, the message war between the two sides goes visual and sharpens with the seasonal competition for consumers’ attention. Obama is expected to reiterate that any deal with Congress must ask the wealthiest to pay higher tax rates.

House Republicans countered with a public relations campaign of their own, tapping the president and chief executive of Gorski Engineering, a small business located about 15 miles from the president’s stop, where the owner is concerned about possible tax hikes.

“The president is heading to Pennsylvania today in full campaign mode to make the argument to the American people that tax-rate increases are the only solution to our nation’s economic woes,” said Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), the majority whip. “He’s wrong. What our country needs is a boost in economic growth so our job creators, like Jerry Gorski, can start hiring again. Tax rate increases don't stimulate economic growth. They drain small businesses of the capital they need to grow and expand their operation.”

Read more: http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-obama-toy-factory-20121130,0,1109572.story

10 replies, 2674 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Obama will send season's greetings to Republicans from toy factory (Original post)
IDemo Nov 2012 OP
Andy823 Nov 2012 #1
IDemo Nov 2012 #3
truthisfreedom Nov 2012 #2
IDemo Nov 2012 #4
democrattotheend Nov 2012 #9
Bandit Dec 2012 #10
think Nov 2012 #5
Enrique Nov 2012 #6
Turbineguy Nov 2012 #7
gblady Nov 2012 #8

Response to IDemo (Original post)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 11:50 AM

1. So let's see now

Republicans "claim" tax breaks for the rich create jobs. So then why is it we went into the biggest recession since the great depression with all those "tax breaks" during the Bush years for the rich?

The republicans are morons, and all they are doing is trying to defend their rich corporate masters, and that is NOT what the american people want. The vast majority of americans, including a majority of republicans, want tax rates to go up on the rich. Once again the only "people" the republicans care about are the ones with all the money who have bought and paid for their votes!

The people of this country are sick and tired of all the right wing bull shit, and it's time to cut the strings with Grover and do what is right for the country, not the corporations!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Andy823 (Reply #1)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 11:54 AM

3. They're disappointed there's no "Trickle Down Me Elmo"..

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 11:53 AM

2. I'm a small businessman. I'm paying taxes on about $350k/year. My taxes will likely go up

about $2k a year. That will not kill any of the jobs I've created.

Reply to this post

Response to truthisfreedom (Reply #2)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 11:56 AM

4. A Democratic spokesman yesterday on NPR

failed to suppress a laugh when saying "the upper 1% are not going to have to dumpster dive because of this tax increase".

Reply to this post

Response to truthisfreedom (Reply #2)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 01:36 PM

9. Have you ever written an article about your perspective as a small businessman?

I feel like it would be useful to have that perspective, maybe try to get some media attention. It would be great to be able to counter the right wing spin that Democrats want to hurt small businesses.

One question I have for you in particular: wouldn't raising the Social Security and/or Medicare age hurt your business by essentially forcing you to retain workers for two more years long after they have reached their peak productivity? My understanding is that the ADEA was enacted in part because employers were pushing workers out after 50, when their salaries went up and they were down from their peak productivity level. So wouldn't it hurt businesses if the government forced seniors to work for two additional years and shifted their health care costs onto employers?

Reply to this post

Response to democrattotheend (Reply #9)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 09:39 AM

10. You ask a very good question .

I also would like to hear more about the subject. I suppose we would hear that people are able to live longer and healthier and more active lives than we did in the forties.. but I also would love to hear from a business person whether their decisions to hire was based upon having more money available or more demand for their service or products...If you were selling more widgets, it is logical you may need more people to move your product.. If you just have a lot of money and your business is handling all the demand just fine, what would be the incentive to hire anyone else? Why not just keep the money for yourself and maybe invest some of it overseas where little to no taxes are required. I think that is what is happening right now as most large corporations are experiencing record profits and yet putting none back into the economy...

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 12:09 PM

5. Watching on MSNBC. 2 thumbs up!

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 12:12 PM

6. talk about an unfair fight

this is the way Obama should do it this time. Spend as little time in DC as possible. The GOP and the media will whine. Ignore them.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 01:01 PM

7. Good. Make sure they own this.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 01:23 PM

8. how appropriate....

to speak to those childish repugs from a toy factory!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread