HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Senate Dems divided over ...

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 08:42 AM

Senate Dems divided over cuts to benefit programs

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by REP (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Associated Press

What is going on with our Senate Democrats? How come we have never had a united front standing on any issues! GIVE IN! GIVE IN! When we just WON THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION! If we agree to cut Medicare or Social Securities, it will be THE END of me being a Democrat! I will NEVER vote again! It will cut me and others deeply especially when we have given so much time to re-elect Obama. If he turns around and agree with this cutting, there is nothing more I can express except THE HELL WITH THE DEMOCRATS and POLITICS!!!

Read more: http://news.yahoo.com/senate-dems-divided-over-cuts-benefit-programs-075320398--finance.html

13 replies, 1941 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply Senate Dems divided over cuts to benefit programs (Original post)
Light63 Nov 2012 OP
loyalkydem Nov 2012 #1
go west young man Nov 2012 #5
go west young man Nov 2012 #6
mac56 Nov 2012 #2
Light63 Nov 2012 #3
Beowulf Nov 2012 #4
groundloop Nov 2012 #7
heaven05 Nov 2012 #8
jwirr Nov 2012 #9
leveymg Nov 2012 #10
woo me with science Nov 2012 #11
John2 Nov 2012 #12
REP Nov 2012 #13

Response to Light63 (Original post)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 08:43 AM

1. It's those dang blue dogs.

Seriously we need to primary them and get more progressives in office. We did it once we can do it again.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to loyalkydem (Reply #1)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 09:09 AM

5. So true.

Max Bauccus may as well be a republican. And Conrad as well.

Response to go west young man (Reply #5)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 09:15 AM

6. From Baucus's wiki page:

Baucus has been criticized for his ties to the health insurance and pharmaceutical industries, and has been one of the largest beneficiaries in the Senate of campaign contributions from these industries. From 2003 to 2008, Baucus received $3,973,485 from the health sector, including $852,813 from pharmaceutical companies, $851,141 from health professionals, $784,185 from the insurance industry and $465,750 from HMOs/health services, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. A 2006 study by Public Citizen found that between 1999 and 2005 Baucus, along with former Senate majority leader Bill Frist, took in the most special-interest money of any senator.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Baucus

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 08:48 AM

2. Dude. Take a deep breath, step away from the monitor for a few minutes.

Reasonable people can disagree about things. The article, over and over, says that SS and Medicare and Medicaid are not part of the so-called "fiscal cliff" negotiations.

Seriously, you need to calm down.

Response to mac56 (Reply #2)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 08:59 AM

3. @mac56: Thanks for your advise.

I feel that the Democrats always seem to bend when the pressure is on, no backbone whatsoever! They allow the media or public to shape their minds. And I'm just so tired of that! Put the PRESSURE BACK ON THE REPUBLICANS. We just WON THE ELECTION!

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 09:08 AM

4. Almost all of the senators are millioniares

and it costs as much to run for the senate nowadays as it did to run for president just a few cycles ago. These are very wealthy people beholden to even wealthier interests that bankroll their campaigns. Our self-interests are not their self-interests. We can hope for a measure of compassion from them, but absent pressure or some kind, they will protect the interests of money.

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 09:22 AM

7. "... will be the end of me being a Democrat." - REALLY?

That's pretty darned counter-productive. Giving a vote to the republicans certainly isn't going to improve our situation. Besides that, I haven't seen any credible news suggesting that we're thinking about caving on Medicare or Social Security.

edit to add: I will always vote for the party which has the best chance of promoting my best interests. For the foreseeable future I fully expect that to be the Democrats. I realize that I will never agree 100% of the time with the party or candidates I vote for, but by and large the Democratic candidates come a hell of a lot closer to doing what's best for me than the republicans.

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 09:48 AM

8. sarge

I been sayin it, I been sayin it! It's them damn blue dogs. Ought to run all of em over a cliff. ohhh and you have to be careful with yahoo news. They are anti-obama or at least that was their tilt during the campaign. They loved the mittshit.

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 09:56 AM

9. Here we go again. Pissing traitors on our own side. Amy K. you had better get on board. That is

why we voted you in. Prove yourself.

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 10:11 AM

10. If the Senate leadership actually led, the BlueDogs would be kicked off their committee chairs.

But, they ARE the Senate Dem leadership.

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 10:48 AM

11. Well, of course they are.

Had enough yet, America?

Is it finally time to abandon the fantasy that the corporate thieves live only in ONE party?

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 11:49 AM

12. I think that you are going at it wrong.

I sincerely think, quitting the Democratic party would be the wrong move. The best move would be to run yourself, or recruit people to run in the Democratic Party right out of the Tea Party playbook. There are things we can learn from them. You noticed President Obama didn't have any primary challenges. Take Kay Hagan for instance. Instead of Democrats just voting for her, recruit somebody to run against her in the Democratic primary. That is exactly what President Obama did to Hillary Clinton. Once they get in office, all of sudden, they feel they can throw voters to the side. We just have a problem with finding honest candidates of principle. Instead of running an independent candidate, find a candidate that challenges the establishment. If Hagan feels that she needs to honor the voters of the other side more than her own base, then she needs to be replaced for a better candidate in her own primary. I'm pretty sure, there are a lot of smart people in North Carolina, that need a job. It is just a matter of a group of people pooling their resources and challenging her.

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 04:51 PM

13. Locking

This does not fit the SoP of this Forum. Please see "About this Forum" at the the top of Forum for posting guidelines. Thanks.