HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » GOP Senator: If Immigrant...

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 10:58 PM

GOP Senator: If Immigrants Want A Path To Citizenship, They Can Just Marry Americans

Source: ThinkProgress

Lawmakers from both parties have expressed new interest in comprehensive immigration reform, including a path to citizenship for the 11 million undocumented immigrants, after Latino voters overwhelmingly supported President Obama in the presidential election. But the bill introduced on Tuesday by retiring Republican Sens. Jon Kyl (AZ) and Kay Bailey Hutchison (TX), dubbed the ACHIEVE Act, is nothing more than a watered-down version of the bipartisan DREAM Act without a clear path to citizenship for those who would qualify under the measure.

Hutchison emphasized that the measure, which would require applicants to apply for three different visa programs over several years, does not offer a pathway to citizenship for undocumented immigrants. “It doesn’t allow them to cut in line in front of people who have come and abided by the rules of our laws today,” she said during a press conference. “It doesn’t keep them from applying under the rules today, but it doesn’t give them a special preference.”

Kyl sought to dismiss the necessity of providing immigrants with a path to citizenship by suggesting that they should — unlawfully — marry U.S. citizens for immigration purposes:

KYL: Realistically, young people frequently get married. In this country, the biggest marriage pool are U.S. citizens. A U.S. citizen can petition for a spouse to become a citizen in a very short time…so I don’t think it’s any big secret that a lot of people who might participate in this program are going to have a very quick path to citizenship, if that’s the path they choose.

Watch it here:

Read more: http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/11/27/1244171/gop-senator-if-immigrants-want-a-path-to-citizenship-they-can-just-marry-americans/

13 replies, 2489 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 11:05 PM

1. The stupidity of Kyle never ceases to amaze me.

Than God he is going, but he is being replaced by an idiot.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 11:11 PM

2. These idiots have no idea how to deal with minorities, one more vote for a Democrat, Thanks Kyl.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 11:17 PM

3. Just to be clear...

Corporate management is entitled to absolute freedom of action, but the government can decide who you marry.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 11:18 PM

4. No, they don't get US Citizenship in a year

Closer to five years.

Reply to this post

Response to itsrobert (Reply #4)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 11:37 PM

6. Thank you.

I was going to post the likely delays, but you beat me to it.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 11:21 PM

5. Wow! These guys really like to shoot themselves in the foot! Over and over!

eom

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 11:39 PM

7. Yes and if poor people want a better life they should

marry a rich person. See how easy this is?

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 12:11 AM

8. With Kyl's statement in mind......

I'm tired of people complaining that they don't have enough money. There is big money in oil. Poor people, therefore, should get into oil.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 01:13 AM

9. But then they'll turn around and complain "MARRIAGE FRAUD!!! Gotta crack down!"

Sheesh, what is WRONG with the RepubliCONS?

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 04:42 AM

10. What a fucking idiot

I'm married to a Korean and if she wanted citizenship we would have to jump through so many hoops and pay money out the nose. Even then there is no guarantee.

When all is said and done it's easier for us to stay here in Korea. I only have permanent residency, but could get citizenship if I wanted. It would be a hell of a lot easier than in the US.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 07:59 AM

11. Flash: Republican party endorses prostitution

Let's have female immigrants trade their bodies for citizenship. Geez. THIS is part of the plan Republicans have to try to increase their appeal to Latinos and women? And of course, without gay marriage in most states (due in large part to Republicans), this method has the bonus of doing nothing to help gay immigrants. It's a trifecta!

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 08:01 AM

12. I thought the gov't frowned on people marrying Americans for citizenship. This guy is an idiot. nt

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 08:12 AM

13. Isn't that illegal? To marry an American just to get citizenship?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread