HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » GOP Senators Not Backing ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 11:16 AM

GOP Senators Not Backing Down On Benghazi

Source: TPM

Sens. John McCain (R-AZ), Lindsey Graham (R-SC), and Kelly Ayotte (R-NH) sat down with U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice in a closed-door meeting on Tuesday to discuss the administration's response to the attacks in Benghazi, Libya earlier this year. Rice did not appear to soothe their concerns.

"I'm more disturbed now than I was before," Graham told reporters following the meeting. "I think does not do justice to the reality at the time and in hindsight clearly was completely wrong. But here's the key, in realtime, it was a statement disconnected from reality."

Graham added that he was disappointed with the intelligence community for providing the administration with the talking points which Rice used in the days following the attack, but ultimately faulted Rice and Obama for presenting it to the American people.

"If you don't know what happened, just say you don't know what happened. People can push you to give explanations and you can say I don't want to give bad information. Here's what I can tell you -- the American people got bad information on the 16th of September, they got bad information from President Obama days after, and the question is, should they have been giving the information at all? If you can do nothing but give bad information, isn't it better to give no information at all?" Asked whether she could support Rice as a possible replacement for Hillary Clinton as secretary of state, Sen. Ayotte added that she "had many more questions that need to be answered."

Watch below:

-30-

Read more: http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/gop-senators-not-backing-down-on-benghazi

26 replies, 3753 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 26 replies Author Time Post
Reply GOP Senators Not Backing Down On Benghazi (Original post)
DonViejo Nov 2012 OP
Agschmid Nov 2012 #1
still_one Nov 2012 #4
John2 Nov 2012 #9
still_one Nov 2012 #2
TwilightGardener Nov 2012 #3
allan01 Nov 2012 #5
go west young man Nov 2012 #6
Agschmid Nov 2012 #11
heaven05 Nov 2012 #7
karynnj Nov 2012 #14
SCVDem Nov 2012 #8
The Wizard Nov 2012 #10
apnu Nov 2012 #12
lexw Nov 2012 #13
DallasNE Nov 2012 #15
jeremyfive Nov 2012 #16
jwirr Nov 2012 #17
libdem4life Nov 2012 #18
kiranon Nov 2012 #19
GreenTea Nov 2012 #20
SunSeeker Nov 2012 #21
Javaman Nov 2012 #22
muriel_volestrangler Nov 2012 #23
icnorth Nov 2012 #24
BlueStater Nov 2012 #25
markpkessinger Nov 2012 #26

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 11:20 AM

1. This is getting ridiculous, and they are entrenched!

That no matter what Susan Rice had said, they would have said the same thing, "I am more scared about what happened 16 of September than I was then.".

Graham has GOT TO GO.
Ayotte has GOT TO GO.
McCain has GOT TO GO.

The people who were killed elected to be there, there are risks associated with the jobs they held. It is a tradegy that they died but this has become a SIDESHOW. I am over this, and I will do everything I can, donate every dime I can to defeat these fools who are blocking the progress of government.

ANGRY....

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Agschmid (Reply #1)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 11:29 AM

4. They are over playing their hand, this is going to hang them. They are looking like horses asses.

Their party got us into two wars, one based on a lie that has killed over a million people

Just as Americans were not fooled by them in the election, they will not be fooled by them with this

I even think this may bring down fox news along with the republican party

Reply to this post

Response to Agschmid (Reply #1)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 11:38 AM

9. Well lets not stop there

I wouldn't have explained anything to them. These are the people some are advocating compromise with. There is no compromising with snakes. The only way to deal with them is playing hardball. Wnen you got a snake down, you keep him down. One of the first indications of President Obama learning his lesson from the first term will be this Fiscal Cliff debate. Does he have the guts to go over the cliff, then to let the snakes trick their way out.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 11:22 AM

2. so let me get this straight, if the intelligence community tells them to proceed in one direction,

graham and mccain is telling them to ignore them.

hmmm,

maybe that is why 9/11 happened. They ignored the warnings

These people can go to hell, and I mean literally

They lost the election. They haven't gotten over it. We will move forward, we will bring the case to the people, and they will be left behind.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 11:23 AM

3. Transparent political bullshit.

No one cares who said what except Republicans with an agenda.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 11:30 AM

5. re: GOP Senators Not Backing Down On Benghazi

thes folk want obama impeached so bad they will do anything. the rs lost the election last time , and again this time , will try to get that black man out. the rs have done it to every sitting d pres when the rs hav had a majority in the congress . lame ducks indeed. wil lsomeone tell me how this (bengazzi) solves the budget?

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 11:30 AM

6. "If you can do nothing but give bad information,

isn't it better to give no information at all?" Classic Republican projectionism. What he is really saying is HE can do nothing but give bad information and lie and cheat while HE's doing it. A true snake oil salesman if ever there was one.

Reply to this post

Response to go west young man (Reply #6)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 11:45 AM

11. Okay but then they would have demanded information...

Can't have it both ways *people.

* Edited to add and Kelly Ayotte, not just "boys".

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 11:31 AM

7. man

what could rice and the supplicating democrats who advised this meeting expect? It turned out EXACTLY as I expected. If the democrats do something stupid like this meeting, supplication again, what is going to happen to our 'entitlements' in the upcoming fiscal curb catastrophe? Small c, sarcasm intended. The democratic party leadership worries me.

Reply to this post

Response to heaven05 (Reply #7)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 01:08 PM

14. In hindsight maybe the meeting needed to be open - I suspect it wasn't due to secrecy

needed on some accounts.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 11:35 AM

8. Obviously

They can't handle the truth!

And as for Graham being even more disturbed?

As Jon Stewart might say, this stuff writes itself!

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 11:44 AM

10. They were jerkoffs yesterday

They're jerkoffs today, and they're gonna be jerkoffs tomorrow. Saying Republican jerkoff is a redundancy.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 11:46 AM

12. This is such bullshit. Bring up yellow cake to any Republican and ...

... they'll throw the CIA under the bus and give Bush a pass for 'acting on bad intel'

Now when the shoe is on the other foot, its a cause for 'concern'

Fucking hypocrites. And they wonder why their party is on the way out.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 11:51 AM

13. They need something to dampen Obama's credibility with the public for fiscal cliff showdown...

and this is all they got. I'm sure some lies will ensue soon—I'm sure Rove is heavily involved, as are the angry Koch Brothers. They looking in every corner for dirt and for the time being this is all they got.

GOP politics as usual. They didn't learn a thing from the last election.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 01:20 PM

15. So Why Didn't Ayotte Ask Those Questions When She Faced Rice

Besides, I don't understand what the big deal is anyway. They seem to be saying they understand that the classified assessment could not be given but Romney forced the Obama administrations hands with his wildly off-target, smiling news conference so saying nothing was not an option. Romney had been given the classified report and used it to make a political statement in his news conference so Rice needed to reel that back to avoid an intelligence breech. It seems to me that if Ayotte, Graham and McCain have a problem it should be with Romney for attempting to expose CIA methods and sources for political gain. I see no traction here whatsoever for the GOP.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 02:05 PM

16. Partisan Politicizing of this Incident Is Disgusting. . . and Racist

Lindsay Graham is a prime example of why the Justice Department needs to continue to closely monitor South Carolina for racial injustice. It's ugly past is being advanced by Graham even today.

John McCain just disgusts me to the core. When has he ever had a good idea???

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 02:05 PM

17. As we have said many times in the past - it is all they have.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 02:16 PM

18. It appears to be Rice and Obama genuflecting to the "disturbed" powerful, rich, white folk.

Who couldn't see this coming?

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 02:37 PM

19. These 3 Senators proved it's impossible to work with Republicans.

Now it's time to go over the fiscal cliff. The Democrats should play hardball all the way. The Republican leadership does not understand anything else or cannot meet the Democrats even part way because they fear their fellow Republicans and their base. Cantor is lying in wait for them. Who would want Cantor to cover their back?

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 03:38 PM

20. THERE IS A 'COVER-UP' - A REPUBLICAN COVER-UP!

Talk about a cover-up!!!

Why aren't these republicans more concerned how the 'terrorist' got by the security or lack of it?

Could it be the republican majority in congress purposely cut the embassy security budget - The same budget Secretary of State Hillary Clinton asked & begged Boehner and the republican congress for funding for the Libyan Embassy and that it was extremely important as it proved to be.

Why did the republicans refuse funding? - Was this a set-up?

As the republican congress cut hundreds of millions from embassy security even after being told how important it was.

That's the real cover up - the republicans appear to be covering up by going after Rice for saying what the CIA admittedly told her to say publicly.

Shame on the republicans for trying to divert attention from how this attack even occurred, to pointing the finger at rice while the republicans are using their usual smokescreens to their own neglect & responsibility.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 04:04 PM

21. There is no pleasing these Repukes. I don't know why Rice bothered.

This meeting only gave Fox more material to distort and kept these three clowns in the news.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 04:34 PM

22. In other words...

they found nothing wrong with Rice and that pissed them off.

So they are now doubling down on the stupid.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 05:18 PM

23. Kick (nt)

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 05:34 PM

24. If I'm breaking posting rules

I apologize but I wanted to try and pull together some Benghazi reference points of the last two months buried in the Faux and friends s#!t pile...

Benghazi Consulate:

The Benghazi Consulate was at its heart a CIA operation, more than 30 American officials evacuated from Benghazi
seven worked for the State Department. Nearly all the rest worked for the CIA, under diplomatic cover

http://swampland.time.com/2012/11/02/report-benghazi-presence-was-a-cia-operation/#ixzz2DSBtFWms

Consulate Attack Time Line
September 11/12

9:42 p.m. -- Assault begins
9:59 p.m. -- Surveillance drone directed to fly over the U.S. compound
10:32 p.m. -- The Office of the Secretary Defense and the Joint Staff are notified of the attack
11 p.m. -- Panetta and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Martin Dempsey meet with President Obama at the White House to discuss unfolding situation and how to respond.
11:10 p.m. -- The surveillance drone arrives over the Benghazi facility.
11:30 p.m. -- All surviving U.S. personnel are evacuated from the consulate. U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens and State Department computer expert Sean Smith were killed in the initial assault.

Midnight to 2 a.m. -- Panetta gives verbal orders for Marine anti-terrorist teams from Rota, Spain, to prepare to deploy to Tripoli and Benghazi. Panetta also orders a special operations force team training in Croatia and an additional special operations force team in the United States to prepare to deploy to a staging base in southern Italy.
1:30 a.m. -- A six-man security team from the U.S. Embassy in Tripoli arrives in Benghazi.
2:39 a.m. to 2:53 a.m. -- The National Military Command Center gives formal authorization for the deployment of the two special operations force teams from Croatia and the United States.
5:15 a.m. -- Attackers launch assault on a second U.S. facility in Benghazi. Two former U.S. Navy SEALs acting as security contractors are killed. They are identified as Tyrone Woods and Glen Doherty.
6:05 a.m. -- A C-17 aircraft in Germany is told to prepare to deploy to Libya to evacuate the consulate personnel.
7:40 a.m. -- The first wave of Americans are evacuated to Tripoli via airplane.
10 a.m. -- A second group, including those killed in the attack, are flown to Tripoli.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/09/world/africa/libya-benghazi-timeline/index.html

Susan Rice Appears on Network TV Sunday September 16:

Susan Rice appears on TV networks and repeatedly stressed an ongoing investigation into the attacks.

Deliberate Misinformation:

#1 Ambassador Susan Rice lied to the American people in the days after the attack" when she suggested that a viral anti-Islam video sparked violence and wide-spread protests. Fox News has repeatedly pushed this narrative to make it seem like the administration was deliberately misleading the American people.

James Clapper, Director of National Intelligence, "confirmed that Rice told the truth in describing the assessment of the intelligence community at the time of her remarks." Williams went on to explain that CIA Director David Petraeus briefed the House Intelligence Committee with the same intel Rice used.

#2 ...requests for extra security in Benghazi were denied by the administration...the attack would have been stopped, and the ambassador still alive, if the requests had been granted.

...at a hearing of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee this month, Charlene Lamb, the Deputy Assistant Secretary of State and head of the Bureau of Diplomatic Security, testified that the request was for added security in Tripoli, the capital of Libya, and not Benghazi. The added manpower would have been based 400 miles away from the violence. In addition, U.S. security officials report more guards could not have repelled heavy weapons used by the attackers.

#3: "he attack on Benghazi is evidence that al Qaeda is resurgent." Fox News has pushed this myth multiple times, suggesting on October 11 that one of the reasons for violence toward U.S. officials overseas is a "resurgence of Al Qaeda attacks" in the Middle East and North Africa. In another segment on October 12, notorious warmonger John Bolton suggested that the Libya consulate attack shows a "resurgence of Al Qaeda"...

The reality is that missions authorized by the Obama administration have killed the top commanders of the terrorist group, including bin Laden. In addition, President Obama's drone strikes targeting al Qaeda members have decimated the remaining members of the group.Tommy Vietor, a National Secretary Council spokesman, explains the impact. "Our assessment that we have decimated al Qaeda leadership is unchanged. Dozens of their senior leadership have been taken off the battlefield as a result of the president's anti-terror policies," Vietor said. "We know affiliates like al Qaeda in the Arab Peninsula will seek to target us and that's why we go after them relentlessly."

Security Failures of Benghazi:

Probing — lapses in diplomatic security that led to the deaths of Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans in Libya.

House Republicans cut the administration’s request for embassy security funding by $128 million in fiscal 2011 and $331 million in fiscal 2012.

Last year, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton warned that Republicans’ proposed cuts to her department would be “detrimental to America’s national security” — a charge Republicans rejected.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2012/10/22/deliberate-misinformation-fox-host-juan-william/190827

http://mediamatters.org/video/2012/10/25/fox-military-analyst-counters-rest-of-network-d/190932#disqus_thread

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 05:42 PM

25. Why does their opposition even matter?

If she was nominated, they wouldn't have enough votes to stop her confirmation. Right?

McPops is nothing but a shrivled-up, senile, bitter old hasbeen fuckwad as far as I'm concerned and doesn't deserve this media exposure he's receiving right now.

Reply to this post

Response to BlueStater (Reply #25)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 05:47 PM

26. Depends...

... Under current Senate rules (unless they are changed along with the filibuster change), ANY Senator can place a hold on a nomination and prevent it from even coming to a vote. Another crazy-ass rule the Senate uses to thwart democratic governance!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread