HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » For 2016, Bush vs. Clinto...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 09:58 AM

For 2016, Bush vs. Clinton

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by REP (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: CNN

For all of our post-2012 election talk about the changing culture, the changing demographics and, perhaps, a changing party, preliminary thoughts out of D.C. about the 2016 election have us headed toward not much change at all: Clinton vs Bush...again.

I am as intrigued by the prospects of these two juggernauts, Jeb and Hillary, locking ideological horns as I am repulsed by the thought of half of my life being dominated by two family names. One, Clinton, has risen from the ashes after the White House. The other name, Bush, is so toxic that the past two Republican nominees avoided saying it in public, opting instead to skip their combined 12 years in office and head straight back to Reagan.

Face it, Hillary has baggage but Jeb has Bush, and that, more so than his record as governor of Florida or ideas for the future, will determine, at least at the beginning, how he is received. That explains why more than a few conservatives were not thrilled to hear that he was thinking of running.

Is it fair for a 59-year-old man to be judged by the actions, or inaction, of his father and brother? Of course not.

Read more: http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/27/opinion/granderson-bush-clinton-2016/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

11 replies, 1210 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to LP2K12 (Original post)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 10:01 AM

1. "Hillary has baggage"?

Don't think so.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to MgtPA (Reply #1)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 10:18 AM

6. ken starr spent a few years and several million poking around ms rodham's past

and these guys don't care if it is true or not.

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 10:22 AM

7. IMO Hillary has about 2 pieced of checked baggage. Mr. Bush however...

... also IMO, I think if he were to carry onboard his baggage it would need to be a chartered freight plane. Like a Boeing 747, or (gulp) an Airbus A380. If that's not enough room, then a few container freight ships will do but that will get to him in the end.

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 10:38 AM

9. She sure does have baggage

Just check out her statements in support of outsourcing....

For example:
http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/ndtv-exclusive-hillary-clinton-on-fdi-mamata-outsourcing-and-hafiz-saeed-full-transcript-207593

Hillary Clinton: So you are talking about the outsourcing of US jobs to India. We know it's been going on for many years now and it's part of our economic relationship with India and I think there are advantages with it that have certainly benefitted many parts of our country and there are disadvantages that go to the need to improve the job fields of our own people and create a better economic environment so it's like anything like the pluses and minuses.

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 10:12 AM

2. I love Hillary, I really do. But I would also like to see more elections

without a Bush or Clinton in them, just because political dynasties in this day and age make me a bit uncomfortable. I would back Hillary if she is eventually the nominee but I would also like to see other good Dems in a primaries in 2016. At least we have tons of good potential nominees and the Repubs have Jeb, Santorum, Jindal, etc. I think the only nominee they would have that would scare me is Christie and he might not get the right wing support.

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 10:15 AM

3. I don't get why we are promoting a Clinton run.

She repeatedly says no, yet we ignore her. Of course she could change her mind, but if I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times: Let's stop focusing on Hillary (who, BTW, I would completely support) and start talking up other possibilities. Are we being lazy, or what?

Response to Ineeda (Reply #3)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 10:40 AM

10. same as in 2008 -- convince everyone of her "inevitability" (which is why she lost in 2008) n/t

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 10:16 AM

4. Warren/Grayson 2016 (One can still dream. It's early.) /nt

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 10:17 AM

5. This isn't breaking news.

It's an Opinion column; neither politician has thrown their hat into the ring for (good lord) 2016.

This should get moved into GD where it belongs.

Response to Bicoastal (Reply #5)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 10:29 AM

8. Sorry.

When I posted it from CNN they had it labeled "BREAKING" and although it's an opinion column I figured that justified it being in this section.

If it needs to be deleted I will do so, or it can be moved.

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 10:56 AM

11. Locking

Doesn't fit the SoP of LBN.