HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » John McCain to Meet With ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 06:33 PM

John McCain to Meet With Susan Rice to Settle Benghazi Score

Source: The Daily Beast

Nov 26, 2012 5:00 PM EST

The senator has blasted Susan Rice for misleading Americans about the Benghazi attack. On Tuesday, the two will meet to hash it out. Eli Lake reports.

Three weeks after losing the presidential election, Republicans are still pursuing questions on Benghazi, the scandal they hoped would undermine President Obama’s claims to be strong on national security.

Now, one of their targets could soon be off the hook. On Tuesday, Sen. John McCain says he’ll sit down face to face in a secure room at the Capital with Susan Rice, the woman he had previously vowed to oppose if she’s nominated as the next secretary of state. In an interview, McCain told The Daily Beast that Rice herself requested the meeting after McCain made several statements suggesting she misled the American people about the Benghazi attacks when she went on several Sunday talk shows on September 16, five days after the assault. On those shows, Rice said U.S. intelligence believed the Benghazi attack was not a planned act of terror, but instead a demonstration that got out of hand.

“If someone wants to come and see me, it would be improper for me to say, ‘No, I won’t meet with you,’” McCain said in an interview. “I will meet with you and hear your version of events why you went out and told the American people false information.’”

Rice didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment. Regarding her initial statements about the attack, Rice has said she was relying “solely and squarely” on unclassified talking points prepared by the U.S. intelligence community. Those talking points didn’t include references to groups with al Qaeda links, even though such groups were mentioned in classified intelligence at the time. McCain said he plans to ask Rice if she had seen the classified intelligence before she went on the September 16 talk shows.

Read more: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/11/26/john-mccain-to-meet-with-susan-rice-to-settle-benghazi-score.html

38 replies, 5034 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 38 replies Author Time Post
Reply John McCain to Meet With Susan Rice to Settle Benghazi Score (Original post)
DonViejo Nov 2012 OP
lob1 Nov 2012 #1
old guy Nov 2012 #3
still_one Nov 2012 #26
montanacowboy Nov 2012 #2
AsahinaKimi Nov 2012 #4
still_one Nov 2012 #27
valerief Nov 2012 #5
ELI BOY 1950 Nov 2012 #6
LuckyLib Nov 2012 #25
jberryhill Nov 2012 #31
Dubster Nov 2012 #7
aaaaaa5a Nov 2012 #8
heaven05 Nov 2012 #9
ReRe Nov 2012 #10
AAO Nov 2012 #11
frylock Nov 2012 #12
libdem4life Nov 2012 #13
DRoseDARs Nov 2012 #14
libdem4life Nov 2012 #15
wisteria Nov 2012 #16
still_one Nov 2012 #28
wisteria Nov 2012 #34
fightthegoodfightnow Nov 2012 #17
DallasNE Nov 2012 #18
Kennah Nov 2012 #19
mikeytherat Nov 2012 #23
Shilo Nov 2012 #20
peace13 Nov 2012 #21
Peace Patriot Nov 2012 #22
FailureToCommunicate Nov 2012 #36
Mass Nov 2012 #24
still_one Nov 2012 #29
Voice for Peace Nov 2012 #30
Kalidurga Nov 2012 #32
Zoeisright Nov 2012 #33
KansDem Nov 2012 #35
FailureToCommunicate Nov 2012 #37
dipsydoodle Nov 2012 #38

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 06:35 PM

1. Rice shouldn't meet with McCain unless he's ready to apologize to her.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to lob1 (Reply #1)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 06:38 PM

3. Yes.

On national TV in prime time.

Reply to this post

Response to lob1 (Reply #1)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 11:10 AM

26. Actually it is good. It exposes these thugs for what they are.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 06:37 PM

2. Why would she meet with him?

I don't understand why she would do this -

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 06:38 PM

4. I have a feeling this may not go well...

He can still be a "grumpy old man" when he wants to be. With the Press there, he probably will double down on that. I Just hope she comes out on top...but not sure he will be buying what she has to sell.

Reply to this post

Response to AsahinaKimi (Reply #4)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 11:13 AM

27. It will go fine. She is not going in alone, and the asshats mccain and lindsey are going to have

their asses handed to them on a platter

They are going to look like bullies and the thugs they are

During the election they took their talking points from faux. They are doing the same on this. It didn't work out too well for them during the election, and it won't work out well for them on this either

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 06:44 PM

5. Hey, McCain, forget Benghazi. It's time to bring back the communism bogeyman.

I'm sure your Fox News fans would enjoy that more.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 06:45 PM

6. Susan...Susan...Susan

Please do not meet with this war monger...put your blinders on and go forward. The only reason
we are still talking about Bengahazi is this is the GOP's last piece of red meat. Forward my dear, forward.

Reply to this post

Response to ELI BOY 1950 (Reply #6)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 11:08 AM

25. Yes. Don't dignify this idiot by crossing his threshold -- he's a ranting fool.

Reply to this post

Response to ELI BOY 1950 (Reply #6)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 11:22 AM

31. Consider the position of Secretary of State

She's ready to handle Ahmidinejad.

I think she can handle McCain.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 06:49 PM

7. Spam deleted by gkhouston (MIR Team)

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 06:54 PM

8. To summarize.... McCain backtracking from FOX news talking points. nt

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 07:04 PM

9. why?

not smart, not smart at all.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 07:07 PM

10. K&R

I wouldn't give that man the time of day if he asked. She's a busy woman. The world is going to Hell in a handbasket, for God's sake. She should just send him one of those famous form letters in acknowledgement of his public apology..saying that her schedule is just too tight to fit him in. If she doesn't do that, then the wingers will defame her all over again for not meeting with him. Shit happens, you know what I mean?

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 07:08 PM

11. Fuck him AND his horse. Get off my FUCKING LAWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!2122`1

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 07:56 PM

12. i am so going to party when this shit lump sheds his husk

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 07:59 PM

13. Very disappointing.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 08:36 PM

14. Unless he's going to be licking her boots clean I fail to see why she needs to lower herself to this

eom

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 08:44 PM

15. Drama Queen McCain ... seems she's meeting with a number of Congressfolk regarding her nomination.

Thankfully.

Reply to this post

Response to libdem4life (Reply #15)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 09:00 PM

16. She hasn't been formally nominated yet.

And, frankly, I hope the President decides against her appointment.

Reply to this post

Response to wisteria (Reply #16)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 11:14 AM

28. Actually, if you heard the jerk, he said he initially said he would not allow any nomination for SOS

to proceed

Reply to this post

Response to still_one (Reply #28)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 10:57 PM

34. Yes, I heard that.

But considering the conspiracy theorists out here, what else could be said?

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 09:14 PM

17. Barf on McCain

he's a TWO FACE LIAR.

Remember when he said we need to study repealing 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' and if the study came out favorable he would support repeal. It did and he didn't

Then he said...well..if the Joint Chiefs come out in favor of repeal, he will. They did and he didn't.
He has no honor and his word means nothing.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 09:41 PM

18. The Old Coot McCain Just Doesn't Get It

His mind is made up that she "told the American people false information". In other words she is a liar and nothing she can say will change his mind.

And what difference does it make even if she did see the classified assessment because she was not at liberty to use that in her public statements anyway. But then maybe McCain is confusing Rice with Dick Cheney who did not hesitate to reveal classified information to score a political point and get even at the same time. I don't see from what he said today that there is any way that the old fool can save face.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 04:26 AM

19. I hear she owns "The Blues Brothers", rented a nun's habit, and bought a yardstick

Reply to this post

Response to Kennah (Reply #19)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 10:06 AM

23. She has no mind for thieves with filthy mouths...and bad attitudes!

mikey_the_rat

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 04:37 AM

20. Hope he takes his happy pills before this meeting

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 09:22 AM

21. Why did my poor sick brain say....

I hope she brings a ball bat!! That should settle it!

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 10:04 AM

22. 1% is an interesting number...

It was ikonized by the Occupy movement, meaning the 1% of multi-billionaires who run things here and everywhere else where they can get U.S. boots on the ground in their interest. Then there are the rest of us--the 99%--who get to have "austerity."

But I was thinking that 1% is also how much "we the people" are permitted know about what is really happening within "our" government.

And, boy, is Benghazi a good example of it.

This bullshit about whether Benghazi was a riot or a terrorist plot is a sort of macabre dance that is played before the cameras, and I don't think it represents even 1% of what that incident was about.

For instance, for John McCain to complain about an administration LYING to the public, after what the Bush Junta did to us--those non-existent WMDs and all--is excruciatingly FUNNY, in a very dark sort of way.

In any case, since when are secretaries of state expected NOT to lie? Lying is pretty much their job description. Lying for the "military-industrial complex." Lying for the 1% behind the "military-industrial complex."

Lies, distortions, disinformation. That's what secretaries of state DO.

So part of the dance macabre here is that this matters to John McCain AT ALL. It doesn't. He does not in the least care about a secretary of state lying to "the American people."

What, then, is really going on? That's the 99% that "we the people" are forced to guess at--cuz "our" government is so out of our control that nobody bothers about us any more except to keep us ignorant, confused and supine.

Then their corporate news propagandists ridicule us for inventing "conspiracy theories."

Ah, me. Well, here's mine. First of all, a caveat. I understand that, on the surface, this is a political fight--newly re-elected president, Obama, vs. the rat bastards who lost. And I do understand partisan feeling about this among Democrats. I am a Democrat. I voted for Obama. But that doesn't mean that I have to believe how the Obama White House portrays everything--for instance, in the matter of the Rice nomination.

Also, it's very clear to me that it DOESN'T MATTER that Susan Rice portrayed the Benghazi incident as a riot and didn't reveal intelligence that it was a terrorist plot. The incident was a national security crisis and to expect the U.S. government to be 100% truthful in a national security crisis is ridiculous.

Conspiracy theory: There was a plot involving General Petraeus and Puke candidate Mitt Romney to pull an "October Surprise" on Obama, using intelligence that Betray-Us cadged from the CIA. I wouldn't go so far as to say that the Benghazi incident was LIHOP ("let it happen"--i.e., Betray-Us knew of the plot to attack the embassy and didn't stop it)--not yet anyway (too many unknowns)--but he most certainly knew that the CIA was detaining and torturing Libyans nearby (cuz that's what his girlfriend leaked) and that a plan to rescue those people would occur. He may have known plan and date and couldn't stop it. Or maybe there was a CIA/Petraeus operative within the targeted group who misdirected the group to the embassy and away from the CIA building. There is a lot of room for both treachery and opportunism in my theory. Maybe it was merely opportunism.

Here was the "out" faction within the "military-industrial complex" who want more wars--the over-the-top fascists--with whom Betray-Us had aligned himself for future gain. He tips Romney to the coming "Surprise." Romney gets his "talking points" ready--and the moment that the attack in Benghazi occurs, he's ON it--portraying Obama as incompetent on national security. It struck me as treason, at the time--what Romney did. He himself put U.S. government personnel at risk all over the world, by politicizing a national security crisis right in the middle of the crisis.

A further twist in this theory may be Karl Rove. They not only had a contrived national security issue, they had tech operatives fiddling with the 'TRADE SECRET' code voting machines in Ohio? Rove flipped out on Faux News when Ohio didn't go to Romney. Was that flip-out genuine, in the sense that Rove thought he had it rigged and his plan failed? (And, if it failed, was it really Anonymous who made it fail?) (And who is Anonymous? An interesting question.)

So, what's Obama--and, importantly, Leon Panetta--going to do about this attempted coup d'etat? For damn sure, they're not going to tell the American people. (It's a subtheory of mine that THIS is why Obama couldn't look at Romney in the first debate--kept looking down, for which Obama was criticized. He couldn't believe what this rat bastard was involved in?) Panetta (sidebar: he is a close bud of Bush Sr.--member of Bush Sr.'s "Iraq Study Group" that, in my opinion, took down Rumsfeld--and of course was sent to head the CIA for a year, to heal the wounds from the war between the Pentagon and the CIA that Cheney/Rumsfeld had started--now heading the Pentagon and considered the most powerful man in the world, by some)...Panetta takes down Petraeus over his girlfriend (and his weird friends in Florida, for "color"). Swift justice.*

And "somebody" foils Rove's tech team.

NOW what can John McCain say? They've gotta back down cuz Panetta and his protege Obama have the goods on them.

Obama wants Rice for secretary of state because, among other things, she DOESN'T reveal sensitive intelligence in the midst of a national security crisis! (Jeez.) McCain, furious about the failure of the two-pronged internal U.S. plot outlined above (Benghazi, Rove), can only jump up and down, like Rumpelstiltskin, and tear himself in two, over Rice NOT revealing sensitive information ('terrorist plot') that McCain and his rat bastard allies had intended to use to take down Obama!

Too bad that McCain and Rice are going to meet in secret. I'd sure like to be a fly on the wall at that meeting. Too bad we're never told 99% of what happens--that we have to pay for, and that we have to suffer "austerity" for. We the People.

Ain't that a classy "conspiracy theory"? Being a no-account, tax-paying, hard-working mere U.S. citizen, excluded from 99% of what is going on in my name with my money, has its fun side.

--------------------------

*(Note: The story about the FBI agent "stumbling upon" the CIA Director's mistress is hilarious.)

Reply to this post

Response to Peace Patriot (Reply #22)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 07:31 AM

36. Well said!

(If only there were a way to rec a post...)

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 10:34 AM

24. Who cares? I am tired of this Kabuki show.

Who is the Secretary of State (at least among the two names suggested as likely choices) will not change my life. So, choose and start working on a deal on the fiscal cliff that does not hurt people.

What may actually change my life though is a reform of Medicaid. What will also change my life is a reform of Medicare. But the Village is slowly promoting the message it is a done deal while spending their time on this stupid story.

Reply to this post

Response to Mass (Reply #24)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 11:16 AM

29. All you say is true, except this is a power play for that bigger issue. You have to stand up to

bullies, or the concerns you expressed will be realized

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 11:17 AM

30. he needs a good proctologist to get that hair out of his butt.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 01:22 PM

32. “I will meet with you and hear your version of events why you went out and told the American people

the American people false information.’”

McCain doesn't want to meet with her and hear her version of events. If that is what he wanted he wouldn't have followed up that thought with saying she was lying. She might have given out false information. But, McCain is using that phrase as a synonym for lying not for having been given out information that may have been incorrect. She said what she was told she could say. The CIA backs her up. That should be the end of the story. That we got the information the CIA wanted us to have. So, McCain if he has a beef it should be with the CIA.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 03:56 PM

33. I hate that little prick McCain.

His irrelevant temper tantrums and old man farts are completely out of touch with reality.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 05:21 AM

35. Give it a rest, willya??!!!

Geeez, this has gone much longer than merely an obsession!

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 07:34 AM

37. Love ol man McCain's pre-judgement on hearing any 'truth':

“I will meet with you and hear your version of events why you went out and told the American people false information.’”

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 07:43 AM

38. US envoy Susan Rice admits Benghazi attack error

UN Ambassador Susan Rice said there had been no attempt to mislead the public, but Republicans were unconvinced.

After meeting Ms Rice on Tuesday, senators said they were troubled.

The envoy said her initial line that the Benghazi attack appeared to have sprung from a protest had been wrong.

>

On Tuesday, Senators John McCain, Lindsey Graham and Kelly Ayotte met privately with Ms Rice and acting CIA Director Michael Morell to discuss the attack.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20519384

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread