HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Dozens at Dearborn Walmar...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 01:50 PM

Dozens at Dearborn Walmart protest working conditions (w/video)

Source: Detroit News

November 23, 2012 at 1:35 pm
Dozens at Dearborn Walmart protest working conditions
By Mike Martinez
The Detroit News

Dozens of protestors gathered Friday at a Dearborn Walmart to protest the company's working conditions, part of numerous similar demonstrations around the country.

Protestors started chanting "Wal-Mart workers deserve respect!" inside the store shortly after noon. They carried signs, and some shook tambourines as they marched around the store, making it virtually impossible for those inside to shop and move around. A large crowd gathered to videotape the protest as police kept the rally moving outside, where it lasted until 12:30.

"This is a great day for workers," said David Robertson, 35, who dressed up in a Santa suit for the protest. "We're just hoping to accomplish awareness."

Read more: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121123/BIZ/211230407#ixzz2D4ampSOK

6 replies, 2599 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Dozens at Dearborn Walmart protest working conditions (w/video) (Original post)
Bozita Nov 2012 OP
Waltg Nov 2012 #1
coalition_unwilling Nov 2012 #5
Flatulo Nov 2012 #6
mbfromnm Nov 2012 #2
ReRe Nov 2012 #3
totodeinhere Nov 2012 #4

Response to Bozita (Original post)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 02:01 PM

1. The Modern Day Plantation Owners

Last edited Fri Nov 23, 2012, 02:33 PM - Edit history (1)

Make no doubt, people like the Walmart family are the modern day plantation owners. Millions of people are being shackled in chains of debt just to survive with no ladder to climb out of thanks to the evolution of the Reagan revolution. Check out this docmumentary for Independent Lens on PBS: Park Avenue: Money, Power, and the American Dream.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2296684923

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Waltg (Reply #1)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 04:40 PM

5. The six heirs to the WalMart family fortune control as much wealth between them

as the bottom 30 million Americans combined. Meanwhile, 1 in 5 American children lives in poverty.

And . . . silence from the national Democratic Party and its officials.

Reply to this post

Response to coalition_unwilling (Reply #5)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 04:54 PM

6. LOL, I probably have more change in my pocket than the combined bottom 30m,

since they probably have zero or less net worth.

Shameful.

It is indeed modern feudalism.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 02:42 PM

2. 60+ folks outside of Mallwort (AKA Wlamart) in Hadley MA

We had about 60 people demonstrating outside the Mallwort in Hadley MA (between Northampton and Amherst, MA). The Raging Grannies went in, did a flash-mob, and sung their way out of the store.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 03:00 PM

3. K&R

... I clicked and watched the video. They deserve respect, as they deserve a living wage and group health insurance too. And they need a Union to represent & fight for them.
Go Wal-Mart protesters everywhere!

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 03:52 PM

4. Walmart reports its “best ever Black Friday” sales.

After opening earlier than in previous Thanksgiving weekends, Wal-Mart reported its “best ever Black Friday” sales, including bigger crowds than last year, the company said Friday.

The retailer rolled out deals starting at 8 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day. From 8 p.m. to midnight, Wal-Mart processed nearly 10 million register transactions, handling 5,000 items a second, the company said. Mmore than 22 million shopped in Wal-Mart's stores during the four-hour period.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/d3vwmvp

If this report is correct I'm not sure how successful those protests were. I know its a start but if the Demonstrators cannot suppress Walmart's sales then they might fail.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread