HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Union Official Says Incre...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 12:22 PM

Union Official Says Increased Retaliation 'A Real Possibility' When Strikers Return to Work

Source: The Nation

Josh Eidelson

11:40 AM: HANOVER, MD - This morning I caught up with United Food & Commercial Workers union Organizing Director Pat O’Neill, who said the unprecedented strikes demonstrate “the courage of the workers,” and shows “they’ve reached the end of their rope.”

Interviewed as a 400-person march wound towards Maryland’s Capital Plaza Walmart (full report to follow), O’Neill said that “the bar” for today to be judged a success “is really just to spread the word, so all the Walmart associates know they’re not alone, that they are supported by the communities where they work.”

What happens after Black Friday? O’Neill, a key strategist in the OUR Walmart campaign, answered simply, “What the workers want is a dialogue with the company, and to let their voices be heard.”

I asked O’Neill whether, when today’s strikers return to work, retaliation from Walmart would get worse before it gets better. “I think that’s a real possibility,” he said. “I think that would be a mistake for Walmart to do that. I think the workers are showing that they’re not going to be silenced

FULL story at link.

Read more: http://www.thenation.com/blog/171430/black-friday-begins-early-walmart-workers-already-striking-least-seven-states#

Check this space for updates throughout the day, and please send tips to jeidelson at gmail dot com.

7 replies, 2380 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Union Official Says Increased Retaliation 'A Real Possibility' When Strikers Return to Work (Original post)
Omaha Steve Nov 2012 OP
Stargazer09 Nov 2012 #1
SoapBox Nov 2012 #2
Sivafae Nov 2012 #3
BanTheGOP Nov 2012 #4
plethoro Nov 2012 #5
BanTheGOP Nov 2012 #6
plethoro Nov 2012 #7

Response to Omaha Steve (Original post)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 12:42 PM

1. It will get ugly

And I'm sure the striking workers will suddenly find themselves out of jobs, despite any worker protection laws that are in place.

I can only hope that things will get better, but I'm not sure that Walmart can be beaten by the workers alone.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 01:28 PM

2. Retaliation?

ya think.

BullyMart will do all they can to take it out on ALL workers.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 01:35 PM

3. Hey, I thought only 50 people participated in the walk out. WTF? nt

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 01:39 PM

4. This is intolerable. In California, this will never happen again.

It is imperative that we have a unified union presence across the country, with President Obama issuing an Executive Order if necessary to prevent hardships and deprivations to the workers whom are under the republican party's flagship retail drone. This weekend, I will be at the Long Beach Walmart, on the sidewalk, vocally demeaning the franchise, and I hopefully will get a lot of workers, most of them minorities, to join in. Should be fun to participate!

Reply to this post

Response to BanTheGOP (Reply #4)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 02:46 PM

5. Which one in Long Beach?........

I was at the Carson Mall Store this morning at about 6:00. There were police there but no protesters.

Reply to this post

Response to plethoro (Reply #5)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 02:58 PM

6. Long Beach Bl. & 6th Street (lat 33.772758° long -118.190613° ) n/t

Reply to this post

Response to BanTheGOP (Reply #6)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 03:02 PM

7. Thanks. I've never been to that one. We don't go downtown since

they remodeled it. Good luck to you.

Reply to this post