HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Maddow, O’Donnell Win Dem...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 09:11 PM

Maddow, O’Donnell Win Demo Last Week, But Fox News Still on Top in Primetime

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by muriel_volestrangler (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Mediabistro

Fox News held its usual perch as the top cable news channel in primetime for the week of November 12-16, but two of MSNBC’s programs — “The Rachel Maddow Show” and “The Last Word with Lawrence O’Donnell” — won their respective time slots among younger viewers last week.

For the week of November 12-16, Maddow’s 9 p.m. program averaged 480,000 A25-54 viewers, while “Hannity” had 439,000. In the 10 p.m. timeslot, “The Last Word” averaged 396,000 viewers in the demo, and “On the Record with Greta Van Susteren” had 362,000.

Read more: http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/maddow-odonnell-win-demo-last-week-but-fox-news-still-on-top-in-primetime_b155805

MSNBC has really been gaining on FOX. Over the last several weeks they have had some shows that are consistently beating FOX with viewers under 54 years old . Lets hope this trend continues once the happiness of the Obama victory begins to fade.

FOX news only wins the total viewer category because their audience demographics trend so old.

13 replies, 2744 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply Maddow, O’Donnell Win Demo Last Week, But Fox News Still on Top in Primetime (Original post)
aaaaaa5a Nov 2012 OP
Seedersandleechers Nov 2012 #1
ProudProgressiveNow Nov 2012 #2
karmaqueen Nov 2012 #3
The Wizard Nov 2012 #4
AlbertCat Nov 2012 #12
Moosepoop Nov 2012 #5
aaaaaa5a Nov 2012 #6
karmaqueen Nov 2012 #8
grantcart Nov 2012 #7
JohnnyRingo Nov 2012 #9
mountain grammy Nov 2012 #10
PatrynXX Nov 2012 #11
muriel_volestrangler Nov 2012 #13

Response to aaaaaa5a (Original post)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 09:22 PM

1. So Fox news listeners

aren't breeding. Good sign things may just get better.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Seedersandleechers (Reply #1)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 09:23 PM

2. +1 nt

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 09:28 PM

3. ALL the crazies watch fox...

The normal people are spread among many news stations. Also FOX is piped into many businesses and that pumps up their ratings. We were at a sports restaurant election night and all the TVs were tuned to different channels. CNN, MSNBC, NBC, CBS, ABC, BBC & Al Jezeera. What was wonderful was NO FOX!!! I asked about it and they said they only would put REAL news stations on! We told them we appreciated that and we would be back!

Response to karmaqueen (Reply #3)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 09:33 PM

4. Bingo

Normal people don't watch Pox (deliberate typo).
97% are watching something else. They constitute a very loud minority. How many commercials does Pox do for erectile dysfunction and adult diapers?

Response to karmaqueen (Reply #3)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 11:34 PM

12. Besides....

Motels and body shop waiting rooms and the like get paid to put Fox News on.

It's kinda like Ann Coulter books selling like hot cakes.....after conservative entities bulk buy them.

Fox News loses money for News Corps too.

Anyway, that's what I hear.

Most of the time I've seen Fox News on, in a public place or even at someone's home...NO ONE IS WATCHING IT. It's like just on for background noise.

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 09:37 PM

5. As happy as I am for Maddow and O'Donnell

and the gains they are making in viewership, I'm also loving the idea of (at 50 years old) being considered a "younger viewer!"

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 10:24 PM

6. I found this link from the Daily Kos.

http://www.newscorpse.com/ncWP/

Fox News is continuing to show weakness in its primetime schedule in the wake of President Obama’s reelection. In the eight days since election day MSNBC’s average audience for the key 25-54 year old demographic drew about 8% more viewers than Fox. MSNBC led Fox in primetime on five of the eight days between November 7 and November 16.

Particularly impressive were the results of the two powerhouse programs on the MSNBC lineup: Rachel Maddow and Lawrence O’Donnell. Maddow won seven of the eight days against her Fox competition, Sean Hannity. For the 8-day run Maddow beat Hannity by 18%. O’Donnell won all eight days against Fox’s Greta Van Susteren. His margin of victory over Van Susteren was 17% for the eight days.

This can no longer be considered a temporary blip on the ratings scales. With two weeks having elapsed, the MSNBC programs are showing steady strength against competition that was once thought insurmountable. Only Bill O’Reilly is holding his top position for Fox in primetime. This may indicate that Sean Hannity is wearing thin with viewers who are likely disappointed with his overly confident (and harebrained) assurances that all the polls were wrong and that Mitt Romney would emerge victorious.

More at link above.

Response to aaaaaa5a (Reply #6)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 10:37 PM

8. This is great!

I can't stand hannity at all!!! Well I don't like any of them but some give me the creeps BAD... I wish someone could get billo. He fools some moderates with his phony "fair" crap...

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 10:26 PM

7. and CNN beat out Australian Classical Dancing and Belgian Professional Wrestling on channel 848

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 11:14 PM

9. Hannity's really taking a (well deserved) beating

This streak by Maddow began the very day after the election. That day wasn't so much that Rachel was getting more viewers, but Hannity was abandoned for some reason. Since then, Maddow continued her run as viewers slowly returned to "Hannity's America", but her and O'Donnell are trending great. If I thought it would help to watch Maddow twice, I'd do it. LOL.

Maybe someone at Fox News should check the shelf life of the Tea Party and program accordingly.

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 11:24 PM

10. Usually, at this time we're watching the Daily Show, but it's a repeat tonight

so I'm at my laptop reading DU and my husband's flipping through channels. He stops on O'Reilly and for about 5 minutes we listen to Bill whine about how the pinheads out there are talking about him and saying things he doesn't say, and all the lower income people (us) voted for Obama because he will "do stuff for them." and wah, wah, wah. My husband says something like can you believe this guy? and, thankfully, moves on. We are in our 60's. Some of us oldies are still functioning normally.

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 11:28 PM

11. IE fox is on top and losing money fast

do'h. shareholders will get upset.

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 05:59 AM

13. Locking - this analysis of TV ratings is not breaking news

As noted in the OP, it has happened over the past several weeks as well. I suggest the GD forum, or the Media group, for this discussion. Thanks.