HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Romney campaign got its I...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 04:49 PM

Romney campaign got its IT from Best Buy, Staples, and friends

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Rhiannon12866 (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Ars Technica

Imagine you're launching a company and only have six months to deliver a product. You face a competitor that has been in your industry four years longer than you with twice your staff and twice the budget. If you don't make your deadline, you're out of business.

That, in a nutshell, was the situation facing the technology team for Mitt Romney's presidential campaign. The Obama for America (OFA) organization had the advantage: it didn't have to wade through the primary season first, allowing OFA's technology team to focus on building an infrastructure. Based on an Ars analysis of the Romney campaign's financial reports, Romney's team had less to work with and passed the lion's share of technology-focused spending directly to advertising companies and telemarketers. This left Team Romney's tech squad with only a fraction of the budget for consulting, services, and infrastructure.

So, the campaign did what a lot of small businesses would do: they went to Best Buy. Or more accurately, they went to Best Buy's subsidiary, MindShift Technologies, a managed service provider that specializes in small and medium business consulting. And when they were in a pinch for tech help, they called Staples' subsidiary ThriveNetworks and a collection of small consulting firms with links to Romney and the Republican Party.

-snip-

Romney's total staffing was lean—over all, about 510 people collected paychecks from the Romney campaign (versus the over 1,000 people on OFA's payroll). The campaign's own IT operation was lean as well—only one percent of the campaign's overall expenses of $339 million went to supporting internal information technology. That included consulting and outsourcing services, Web hosting, broadband, hardware, and software. Ten times as much was spent by Team Romney's Digital and Voter Contact departments on external interactive advertising, telemarketing, and data management services—$36.4 million in total.

-snip-

Read more: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/11/romney-campaign-got-its-it-from-best-buy-staples-and-friends/

The article goes on to explain the Romney team's IT disaster -- they went "cheap and young" with most of their internal tech team, with one system admin paid only $12,000 for six months' work. At the same time, Romney's top tech staffers were paid high salaries and they also sent the campaign's tech business to their own tech firms.

The article has lots more details on how the Romney campaign mis(spent) its IT money, along with comparisons to the much-better-run Obama campaign.

15 replies, 2740 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to highplainsdem (Original post)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 04:51 PM

1. But for the Pukes, Baggers and Bainers...

isn't it always about being cheap with the hired help???

Hey Mittens...next campaign, get it done in China for pennies a day.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 04:55 PM

2. He's been running for president for years actually...it's crazy that they didn't develop

resources way before the actual nomination...so no long term planning AND their short game sucked too?

How could that lack of acumen have translated to an actual administration? Scary to think about.

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 04:57 PM

3. I've read that though Obama had almost twice as mainy paid campaign staffers

his payroll wasn't much bigger than Romney's.

rocktivity

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 04:59 PM

4. That's bullshit.Like that's all the president and his team had to do.Campaign for 4 years. Rob-me wa

s just too cheap, lazy, and arrogant, not to mention, listening to Rove, to get a good team together in the appropriate time frame. Besides that. It was probably hard to get anyone with brains to work with him. They would've been working against themselves. Don't listen to this crap, people. You know better. Rob-me's been campaigning for the better part of his adult years. His indecency caused his demise.

Response to judesedit (Reply #4)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 05:14 PM

7. something

I've heard for years seems to be true in mittshits case, "god don't like ugly".

Response to judesedit (Reply #4)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 06:49 PM

13. he bragged about being in direct control of all aspects.

serves him right

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 05:10 PM

5. Ars Technica's 2012 campaign tech reporting is awesome...

Response to targetpractice (Reply #5)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 05:13 PM

6. Great article! Thanks for the link!

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 05:19 PM

8. OFA has sent me multiple job ads for software development over the past few years

which were targeted to me after mining the occupation field of my donations... I think Republicans just don't get it in regards to technology. Hiring a marketing firm to figure it out is the worst thing you could do. They can make pretty websites and help you get to the top of Google. They can't make real software applications.

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 05:25 PM

9. There was a great article on here yesterday about Obama's IT Team and how

they actually won it.

"40 Engineers Worked 14-Hour Days, 7 Days A Week To Get Obama Reelected—Here Is Their Story"

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021837617

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 06:10 PM

10. Willard = LOSER

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 06:20 PM

11. So much for the "Easy" button. n/t

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 06:44 PM

12. He ran it like one of his businesses

Overpaid executives, exploited workers, sketchy sweetheart contracts. This is the Romney way.

Response to lurky (Reply #12)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 07:13 PM

14. Exactly.

And that's how he would have run the country.

The extent of the disaster we escaped by defeating Willard and the rethugs cannot be underestimated.

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 07:14 PM

15. Locking, sorry, this is election analysis, not breaking news.

Please consider reposting in Politics 2012 or GD. Thanks!